3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Guy from Ky.  (Read 1579 times)

Offline James Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
New Guy from Ky.
« on: January 02, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »
Hello all, just joined! New to the world of traditional archery/bowhunting. Coming from compounds. My draw weight was 60. My draw length was 28. What weight would I be shooting on a trad bow? I'm currently without a bow, but was looking at the Samick Sage, and Galaxy Sage. How are they? Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks! Happy to be here.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Guy from Ky.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 11:18:57 AM »
Welcome....   :wavey:

I would suggest 45#s at your draw length. Just gotta find our your draw length for Tradbows.

Find out if there are any shoots coming up near you... you are welcome to start a thread here about that.

I'm sure others will be along to chime in....  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline James Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 11:24:15 AM »
My draw length with compounds is 28. That would be different with trad bows too?

Welcome....   :wavey:

I would suggest 45#s at your draw length. Just gotta find our your draw length for Tradbows.

Find out if there are any shoots coming up near you... you are welcome to start a thread here about that.

I'm sure others will be along to chime in....  :campfire:

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 11:32:53 AM »
I would expect with a recurve your draw length to stay about the same. Try to find a place to shoot different weight bows but if you can't I think 45# would be a good starting point. The only time my draw length changes is with ASL's grip.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »
Welcome James  :wavey: best I can say is find local help and enjoy the ride...I'm just starting my 60th year with this addiction and I can tell ya it's fun if ya don't get bogged down in tech stuff...keep it fun  :thumbsup:   :campfire:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 02:37:28 PM »
Yes James, it could be different. Most times it is.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 03:19:25 PM »
I have been shooting compound comfortably at 70# but when I decided to go strictly traditional this past spring, starting with turkeys, I was pulling 56# with my longbow, and would start shaking at full draw fairly quickly but by fall I could draw and anchor for a few seconds and still hold steady. Not sure if it takes different muscles to shoot trad or if it has to do with having no let off, but I spent a lot of time shooting through the summer and it helped a lot. I dropped an inch in draw length and I believe that was because I had used a wrist release with the compound. Hope this helps, and enjoy your new addiction.
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »
Welcome James, if you’re going to be in the Ashland area in the next few days I have a 45# recurve that I will loan you. That way you can have an idea of what poundage you want to start at. Give me a call 606-831-0031. Scott
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline oldsledfoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 07:56:13 PM »
Our Ky Tradfest is in Harrodsburg area on weekend of April 1st ,Hall . You can shoot a ton of bows and find a used bow to fit you I bet .

Good used bows can be had for reasonable prices here and other tradbow trading sites . I fully agree with the advice about “ don’t get too technical “ . Fletch with feathers ,don’t try to pull too heavy a bow weight ,and shoot whatever bow you can find, then work on form from there .
Greg B.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 07:33:54 AM »
Welcome James from another Kentucky guy. I live in Corbin and if you are in that area any I would give you my address and let you try some different bows to see what you like. I do not sell bows by the way but have several. I like the 45# range for hunting but often use 40# due to health issues. The Ky Tradfest is great but they also have monthly shoots beginning this month. Be a good place to meet other trad hunters and get ideas.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
  welcome    :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:36 PM »
Welcome...

Would strongly suggest no more than 45@28.

Note: 40 to 45#s coupled with a respectable arrow overall design will be lethal in the field on KY critters.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline James Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 11:46:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 05:44:43 AM »
Welcome. This is a good place to be for Trad Archery. You have all kinds of good suggestions  for a bow in this tread.

Good Luck,

Rich K.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 09:03:08 AM »
Welcome James. You find this a helpful place for information and friendship. Many of my most cherished childhood memorise were during the time I grew up in Reed, Earlington, and Providence, Ky. I can't recall exactly where Pikeville is, but I remember Dad going there. He worked for the L&N Railroad. Good luck, and enjoy the site.
                                                                    :archer2: :clapper: :archer2:

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 07:45:07 PM »
Pike county is the easternmost county in the state, look at a Kentucky map and you will know right where it is.
 Like others said, KyTradFest has vendors, and many bows. Sellers will let you take them to the target butts and try them out. Big Jim alone will have many bows and everything you need, and get you set up.
 Several custom bowyers, and used bows as well. Be there mar31,April 1,2.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 08:43:50 PM »
Welcome aboard  James !

Lots of good advise posted ....I agree with 40#-45# being a Good weight . It is mighty important to start with a weight  that causes no struggle , rush , distraction from the job at hand. Starting out that job is learning proper -repeatable -consistant form- release-follow through......REPEAT .

Struggling with weight is not a proper archery classroom.  Case in point...Compounds have huge letoff ...stickbows have none .

It's not a toughman contest either.  One can move up in weight easily once the  sequence is ingrained ... those dormant muscles  found-worked-strengthened  , and all aspects of shooting a traditional bow become second nature.....

Tis a long path....and very Rewarding one.;^)   

Enjoy the journey my friend ..... :campfire:

Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 08:52:01 PM »
...on a bow choice.  Agree with above also.
 Get to some shoots , or a traditional archery retailer near you  if at all possible .  The grip is a mighty important aspect of a bow to the archer.....Only you can answer what style works best for you. Narrow down you funds$  , what style bow you want to shoot/try , and find a way to try before you buy...Try as many different types of longbows/recurves as you can until you get a feel for what feels best to you in a grip .

Best with your quest my friend...... :campfire:
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 08:53:57 PM »
Welcome aboard James!

You will find a lot of great advice here from some very knowledgeable and generous folks.

Like you I made the switch from a compound about 5 or 6 years ago. I was lucky enough to have some guidance from a good friend and shoot a few bows before I bought one.

The bow I bought was the Kodiak Magnum in my avatar picture.  It is 45# @ 28". I bought the bow around this time of the year and shot it every day leading up to the season. The buck in the picture is the first animal I shot at with a traditional bow and I killed it.

Ask questions, shoot every chance you get and most importantly, HAVE FUN.  Again,  welcome aboard!
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Wose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 10:31:45 PM »
Welcome James, if you’re going to be in the Ashland area in the next few days I have a 45# recurve that I will loan you. That way you can have an idea of what poundage you want to start at. Give me a call 606-831-0031. Scott

Small world. i grew up in Boyd Co.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©