Author Topic: 2023 What did you do today....  (Read 68176 times)

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2023 What did you do today....
« Reply #520 on: May 08, 2023, 09:03:55 AM »
Holy s#%t Kenny glad you and your family are OK. So sorry to hear about your neighbours and everyone else that were affected  :pray:

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #521 on: May 08, 2023, 09:20:14 AM »
Wow, just watched some video on it. That is scary stuff. good to hear you’re OK.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #522 on: May 08, 2023, 09:31:24 AM »
Kenny, good to hear you, yours and your holdings came through ok! I was in a tornado at Millington TN in the late 60s. Incredible how much damage it did and how some properties were spared while others all around were shredded. Glad for you, sad for your neighbors … what a heartbreak for them.

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #523 on: May 08, 2023, 12:34:19 PM »
Built a little "Deluxe" Kids Bow.
Nice Walnut with oldshool Birdseye Maple.
Finish with Gunstock-Oil in Progress.

Is there any way to get Wood fired up Like this with any clear coat?

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #524 on: May 08, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »
Got back from my trip to Kansas and now have a decent supply of future fletchings  :goldtooth:

Tried my hand at turkey hunting with a recurve this year. Had at least 4-5 easy shots if I'd have taken the shotgun, but only got one chance to even take a shot with the bow... Missed high by about an inch  :banghead:  :biglaugh:  Have a lot more respect for the skill and dedication it takes to pull off a successful hunt now though.  I need a lot more practice!

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2023, 03:00:01 PM »
Got back from my trip to Kansas and now have a decent supply of future fletchings  :goldtooth:

Tried my hand at turkey hunting with a recurve this year. Had at least 4-5 easy shots if I'd have taken the shotgun, but only got one chance to even take a shot with the bow... Missed high by about an inch  :banghead:  :biglaugh:  Have a lot more respect for the skill and dedication it takes to pull off a successful hunt now though.  I need a lot more practice!

i think hunting turkeys with a trad bow has gotta be one of the most challenging hunts ive ever done without using a pop up blind.... i did build a lot of brush blinds, but i swear those things can read a newspaper at 100 yards....   
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #526 on: May 08, 2023, 04:43:31 PM »
You're tellin me... It was so tough to try to get one close enough that I thought I could make the shot (with my pretty mediocre shooting).  At one point I actually had one called in WAY too close  :biglaugh: I saw it way off and slipped in behind a big bush on a bit of a point that jutted out into the edge of a field.  He came down the tree line straight to the point.  As he came around the side of the bush I was on, he was less than 10ft off... Took off running as soon as I even had the IDEA to draw.  :biglaugh:

I had an absolute blast though.  Honestly I wasn't even that disappointed I didn't get one with the bow.  The actual hunting itself was so much more primal, visceral, I'm not sure how to describe it... It was awesome. The one I missed was around 20y off with 2 hens and gave me an absolutely perfect shot, I just blew it lol

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #527 on: May 08, 2023, 07:57:46 PM »
Got back from the Tenn. Classic about 4:30 today. Worn out but had a blast. Trades one of my leather bag for a beautiful osage stave, received a boo back/belly bow from James Parker in trade for my old briefcase had I made for my self and James also gave me a boo backed osage bow blank that i will finish up. Sold a few of my leather bags, a leather quiver and a brass buckle I had left over from my leather shop in Savannah in the mid 1970s.
 The shoot was a success with another year without rain and record turnout of shooters. I think Pappy said 796 shooters registered. All in all it was a fun but exhausting 6 days.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #528 on: May 09, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »
Finished up a one piece 58” recurve this afternoon. She just needs a finish sprayed on. Tambootie/Brazilian Ebony riser with Bamboo under clear glass. Wish they all came out like this one with even tiller and straight pulling limbs right off the form.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #529 on: May 09, 2023, 06:00:00 PM »
Finishing up a couple for me and my son, I will let him pick the one he wants.
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #530 on: May 10, 2023, 07:11:24 AM »
Very nice! What woods are those?

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #531 on: May 10, 2023, 08:27:38 AM »
Bocote & Grenadillo
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #532 on: May 10, 2023, 12:54:57 PM »
Nice job, grandillo can be really cool. Getting  ready to work o. Some one piece forms. The 3 piece bows I have been building are so labor intensive.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #533 on: May 10, 2023, 01:56:12 PM »
thanks, KennyM hooked me up with some nice looking woods and veneers. pretty pleased with the way the woods look paired up with each other.

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #534 on: May 12, 2023, 12:16:02 AM »
I'm building a 2 Piece Bow once in a while.
But i don't find the right Bandsaw Blades.
The ones for Metal hold Up and don't get dull so fast, but have to many and short teeth.
So they cut extremely slow and burn.
The ones for hardwood are death after half the Cut.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #535 on: May 12, 2023, 04:53:10 PM »
well go.  to the fiberglass sleeve two piece. I can see where that cut would be a pain with whatever blade.
High on Archery.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #536 on: May 16, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
Spining wood shafts with my old Flight-Rite tester from Alan Rothaar. Wonder if he is still around.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #537 on: May 16, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
You're tellin me... It was so tough to try to get one close enough that I thought I could make the shot (with my pretty mediocre shooting).  At one point I actually had one called in WAY too close  :biglaugh: I saw it way off and slipped in behind a big bush on a bit of a point that jutted out into the edge of a field.  He came down the tree line straight to the point.  As he came around the side of the bush I was on, he was less than 10ft off... Took off running as soon as I even had the IDEA to draw.  :biglaugh:

I had an absolute blast though.  Honestly I wasn't even that disappointed I didn't get one with the bow.  The actual hunting itself was so much more primal, visceral, I'm not sure how to describe it... It was awesome. The one I missed was around 20y off with 2 hens and gave me an absolutely perfect shot, I just blew it lol

Well at least you got a shot…. I hunted those damn things 3 different times in Texas where there were quite a few birds, and never got completely to full draw once without getting busted…. Birds too close, and too many hens sneaking around behind me. I had one hen almost walk over my boots while I was watching two toms fighting at 10 yards. I could have shot either one of the toms if it wasn’t for all the hens walking around….. but like you said…. It was a blast hunting them.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #538 on: May 16, 2023, 10:31:37 AM »
I'm building a 2 Piece Bow once in a while.
But i don't find the right Bandsaw Blades.
The ones for Metal hold Up and don't get dull so fast, but have to many and short teeth.
So they cut extremely slow and burn.
The ones for hardwood are death after half the Cut.

I’ve never tried a two piece with location pins and bolts before. I’d really like to see the finished product.

Here is a dove tail connection two piece I did using G-10 years ago…. Came out good , but wouldn’t do it again….

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RBNE6LNEfXNpoYZN9
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #539 on: May 16, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
That’s very cool Kirk.   :thumbsup:  Millwork?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©