Author Topic: 2023 What did you do today....  (Read 68459 times)

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2023 What did you do today....
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2023, 01:54:44 PM »
Well I've thought about doing it over a long pit of coals but I haven't dug a pit and its snowing today  :biglaugh:  I'll probably just use the heat gun. I saw some pics of a fixture someone made for the process a while back.  It was a stand that held the gun a set distance above the bow and could slide down the length... That sounds like it might be the way to go.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2023, 07:55:21 AM »
3 lam RD Hickory,Walnut,Ipe and Merbau powerlam. Riser is strips of Elm and one Purpleheart. Came out too heavy, needs some grinding.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2023, 08:20:57 AM »
Saw this bad boy on my way to the shop yesterday.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2023, 08:42:12 AM »
Saw this bad boy on my way to the shop yesterday.

Cool
Mississippi has 4 Reservoir's and all have Eagles  :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Just a Hobby, gotta keep it fun 🏹
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »
We have a lot of Bald eagles up here on the Mississippi in Iowa.  Some days below the dams you could see 40 or more.
🦌🏹😃

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2023, 08:59:02 AM »
We have a lot of Bald eagles up here on the Mississippi in Iowa.  Some days below the dams you could see 40 or more.

Cool
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2023, 10:00:46 AM »
We have a mating pair around here. Lived here for 32 years and they were the first I've seen here. We have large lakes(for here) above and below us and I'm guessing they are nesting at one of these lakes. Glad to see them making a great comeback.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2023, 10:36:19 AM »
Well this is actually what I dove into yesterday, and will continue to do today. My Big Maxx heater has been giving me fits for quite some time, and rather than getting an HVAC tech out here to work on it, I chose troubleshooting via you tube….

Talk about a rabbit hole…. After a week or two of studying, and watching countless videos. I slowly eliminated all the possibilities and ran into a brick wall…. I finally contacted a gas furnace tech hoping I could get him to come look at it. But after our conversation, and I explained in detail everything I had checked, he told me that i obviously had a crack in my heat exchanger, and it would need to be replaced.

Well the good news is…. That $200 heat exchanger was covered under warranty, and they sent one to me without even charging me for shipping.

The bad news is…. You have to pretty much tear the whole furnace apart to get this heat exchanger out. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So that’s where I’m at right now. I have the old heat exchanger out, and will begin reassembling it today…. But….. and there are always those butts in life….
There is a gasket I do not have that goes between the air circulation fan and the heat exchanger. The old gasket came apart when I took it off.

Now I need to find some gasket material that will seal this fan to the heat exchanger, and be able to hold up to 200 degree plus temps…. I haven’t a clue where to find it either….

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81160-High-Temp-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEN1A
Your local Auto parts should have it.
should work   :dunno:
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2023, 01:04:29 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81160-High-Temp-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEN1A
Your local Auto parts should have it.
should work   :dunno:

Yup.... That's exactly what i just picked up.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking at the old heat exchanger and the carbon build up around those top two tubes, i'm thinking the old heat exchanger might not be cracked after all. it might have been a gasket failure and wasn't drawing the heat through evenly..... But.... i got the new one, so i'll put it in anyway......

Of course every rabbit hole you go down, you learn something..... If i would have known last week what i now now, I  would have just pulled the fan first and checked it out..... Oh well... live and learn.

Kirk
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:11:19 PM by Kirkll »
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2023, 06:52:01 PM »
 I haven’t been able to do  anything lately in my shop  I do have a couple of bows that  I was working on but my back is just gotten worse so just waiting on surgery ....  pretty excited though I believe it was just over a year ago  before I started building bows  I sold a couple of bows because they were just too heavy for me  and for many years I’ve dreamed about ordering a bow from this man but just wasn’t able to make it work $$. I got the email saying my custom is in the spray booth now and should be on its way soon.  Thank you Abe Penner ( Cari-bow ) 60” Taiga ex .   Pretty excited to say the least now I just need my back fixed so I can shoot a moose with it this fall .  :thumbsup:

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2023, 10:30:43 AM »
No need to say more.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »
Dang that global warming , huh Joel?   :biglaugh:

We had 12 * this morn and a half inch of snow. You made me feel better! :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2023, 11:30:54 AM »
Always happy to boost morale! :goldtooth:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
We've only had a few slight flurries this winter, heck we've hardly had a winter. In February 23 days were above normal and some 15 to 20 degrees above with night time temps in the 40s or 50s. Out daffodils and flowering trees are almost over and it's not even spring yet for a few more days.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »
I got my Big Maxx heater put back together a couple days ago and she runs like a champ now!  Of course…. The last 3 days have been sunny and almost 60 degrees in the afternoon…. It figures.. :biglaugh:

The ironic part about this whole furnace fiasco was that while changing out the old heat exchanger with the new one, I found a bad gasket where the exhaust fan hooks up to the old heat exchanger, and after checking it out closely found no cracks or holes in the heat exchanger at all…. Makes me wish I would have pulled that fan motor first before ordering the new heat exchanger…. I honestly think that blown gasket was my problem……. Oh well…. Live and learn…
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2023, 04:04:56 PM »
We’re having light snow showers and wind today. I was out in the garage making a couple of awls and I felt pretty cold after a while. It seems like winter came in March this year. It’s supposed to be warmer next week.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
Today I sanded with 600grit and sprayed my final 2 coats of high gloss epoxy. Now leave it alone until cured 👌
🦌🏹😃

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2023, 03:07:51 PM »
Looks great Jeff!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter