Author Topic: 2023 What did you do today....  (Read 68421 times)

Online Stagmitis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2023 What did you do today....
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2023, 11:13:15 AM »
Dang mike i had to zoom in-Looked like you were pulling an arrow out of th groin  :biglaugh:
Stagmitis

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2023, 11:21:44 AM »
Yeah that was out there quite a ways it went a bit too low.
High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2023, 03:25:42 PM »
Is that a rubber stump target?   Never seen one of those before. I could get into stump shooting more with one of those. :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2023, 04:32:46 PM »
Rienhart stump and Bigfoot
High on Archery.

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »
 :banghead:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: April 04, 2023, 01:35:38 PM »
Arrrgh !!  Looks like a decorative overlay is in order?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: April 04, 2023, 02:11:42 PM »

Haha. Yep. Top and bottom.
Thought about just doing double limb bolts like a Bob Lee but really don’t like the look of that.

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2023, 03:57:07 PM »
Is that a rubber stump target?   Never seen one of those before. I could get into stump shooting more with one of those.

Kirk …….. Bigfoot would look good right beside the shop door   :biglaugh: :archer2:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: April 04, 2023, 04:33:12 PM »

Haha. Yep. Top and bottom.
Thought about just doing double limb bolts like a Bob Lee but really don’t like the look of that.

No worries mate! Fill that bolt hole and location pin holes with fiberglass bondo, or better yet  some EA 40, and go again…. Flat black rattle can paint job prior to clear coating and you are good to go…..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I’m curious how ya got back assward on that bore job though….. :biglaugh:

Btw… don’t feel bad… you are not the only one that has pulled that stunt before…

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2023, 09:35:55 PM »
Made some kindling today...

Finally split up the halves of the better osage log I had.  Got a few of them debarked and de-sapwooded, the rest will have to wait till tomorrow... I'm wipped  :biglaugh:

I may split the largest of these again, not sure if its worth risking though. 2 of the staves are pretty nice, the others all have some more major heat work to be done.  All of them are better than the ones from the first log I split.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: April 04, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »
Nice osage staves.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: April 04, 2023, 11:15:15 PM »
Slightly better pic. I think there are some shooters in there!  The ones on the right (from the more gnarly log) are going to be a nightmare... I might save those for when I've got a bit more experience but I think at least some of them can work...  Definintely going to get some heat bending practice in on all of them :biglaugh:

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2023, 09:06:31 AM »

[/quote]
I’m curious how ya got back assward on that bore job though….. :biglaugh:
[/quote]

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing!
I just recently starting using a mill with DRO to plumb the riser, limb pads, and bore holes.
Note to self, do not wear earbuds with good music on and do not go into automatic brain mode.  :smileystooges:
Also, mark the locations ahead of time instead of just dialing to the spot, or wrong spot in this instance, by just staring at the DRO location.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2023, 10:54:13 AM »
A fancy mill and DRO does not always mean we get things right! I was milling my slide for a custom competition 1911 pistol. Wife came in and talked to me while I was doing it. Got distracted and turned the crank the wrong way.

I just quietly reached up and turned the mill off and turned out my mill light. She must of known what I had done.

She bought me a new blank slide !

I now lock the shop door and turn off my phone while milling.

Bow swap related? I just had to redo the last limb...took it out of the oven and realized I had flipped the lambs front to back when I put them in the form.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
Once you get in the groove you’ll love the consistency you get with the mill. I set up my own DRO system using 3 different slide micrometers for XYZ axis. But even after I found the best vise location for both limbs and riser, and got the jaws running dead straight, and zeroed out… I figured out it’s always best to zero out the Y axis every time I reset the pieces in the vise…. It’s kind of a learning curve hitting dead center every time…. Rather than using a center finder, I use my 1/4” mill or router bit and bring it right up to the edge, then  zero it out then use the total width divided x 2 plus. .125 for center.

I also learned never to flip a riser end to end when milling. Mill one end, then slide it down to the other….

Of course you don’t have that luxury with limbs, but those come out pretty good if they are both the same width going into the mill, and zero out true center. Its nice being able to elongate the lower pin hole about  .020-.040 and over sized the bole hole. Those limbs mount first time, every time and rarely need any bolt hole filing.

Great tools… but there is a learning curve.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2023, 11:40:47 AM »
A fancy mill and DRO does not always mean we get things right! I was milling my slide for a custom competition 1911 pistol. Wife came in and talked to me while I was doing it. Got distracted and turned the crank the wrong way.

I just quietly reached up and turned the mill off and turned out my mill light. She must of known what I had done.

She bought me a new blank slide !

I now lock the shop door and turn off my phone while milling.

Bow swap related? I just had to redo the last limb...took it out of the oven and realized I had flipped the lambs front to back when I put them in the form.

:biglaugh:  :biglaugh: :biglaugh:  Oh yea…. I know that one….

I set up a power feed on the X axis only which has a speed control on it…. It’s very nice for surfacing the limb pads a true 90 degrees prior to drilling, and reall6 handy milling ILF risers. But I’ve made some directional boo boos from time to time myself…. Ouch! :knothead: :knothead:

I wish there was a simple way to use a tap in the mill without buying a power tap gizmo. I have a hell of a time trying to turn the Chuck by hand and keep an even down pressure. I finally gave up on it and  just tap my limb bolt inserts by hand, and over size the bolt holes on the limbs to compensate for tap drift.

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2023, 12:37:48 PM »
Kirk, do your taps have the divot in the back for a live center? After drilling I use a hand tap wrench with one hand and a live center in the mill or something to keep it centered. It does become a 2 hand operation, but I can keep downward pressure on the tap with my right hand and turn my tap handle with my left.

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: April 05, 2023, 01:29:53 PM »
 I don’t own a Mill myself so when I went to drill and tap my first set of holes in a mocked up practice riser I did find I had great difficulty tapping  A true 90° so the next one i am going to try this and I’m not sure where I seen this done was too Mount the tap in my drill press  set my riser in my press vice  making sure my Limb pad is true 90° to the tap using a  Digital angle finder and then pull the belt off of  The drill press pulley and while applying pressure with the drill press handle and turning the pulley by hand which is very easy to do because of the size and grip you have there’s plenty of leverage and tap the hole all in one stroke not backing it out and reinstalling .  :dunno:  I think there’s a chance of success .  :goldtooth:

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: April 05, 2023, 02:13:07 PM »
I was able to nearly eliminate any drift or angle issue while hand tapping once I bought the tap on the right. It has a bore centering section that is the same diameter of the pre tapped bore. I then finish it the very bottom of the bore with a standard tap.

I’ll try to find a link to one as I can’t remember where I got it, but it was a game changer for me

Found it. They look a little different than the one I have but same company. Must have changed them slightly.

https://www.besly.com/store/home.php?cat=318

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:29:02 PM by Jon Lipovac »

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: April 05, 2023, 02:24:10 PM »

[/quote]

I wish there was a simple way to use a tap in the mill without buying a power tap gizmo. I have a hell of a time trying to turn the Chuck by hand and keep an even down pressure. I finally gave up on it and  just tap my limb bolt inserts by hand, and over size the bolt holes on the limbs to compensate for tap drift.
[/quote]

Do you have a neutral between forward and reverse?
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©