Author Topic: 2023 What did you do today....  (Read 68393 times)

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Just a Hobby, gotta keep it fun 🏹
Re: 2023 What did you do today....
« Reply #420 on: April 11, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
It is purdy 🤯
🦌🏹😃

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: April 11, 2023, 08:30:08 PM »
:o

Where did you order that Bocote?  is it 4/4 stock?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Just a Hobby, gotta keep it fun 🏹
« Reply #422 on: April 11, 2023, 08:37:00 PM »
Kirk I got it from Bell Forest. Hand pick section. The Bacote is 3/4" thick. JF
🦌🏹😃

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »
Jeffries Wood Works in Knoxville gotbin some Bocote last week. It will probably be gone before I can get there. Not something I normally see.

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: April 12, 2023, 09:27:31 PM »
Wow, that bubinga is gorgeous :scared: Cant wait to see what that ends up on! Good looking Bocote too!

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2023, 09:00:24 PM »
Today I finally finished a project that started with a casual comment by a friend while on a mountainside back in October, hunting and enjoying the last of the fall colours.  We were discussing our bucket lists, something it seems we old guys do more often as we age, and the topic became “what bow did you always want but never got around to getting”.  My wish was always the Bear Super Kodiak, the 60’s models, the “Black Beauties”, before the take-downs.  I shot my faithful old Ben Pearson Colt for 20 years, before I succumbed to the wheel bow craze for a decade or so.  But I came back.  My friend thought about it for a few moments and then asked “so why don’t you buy one, there’s often a listing for them.?”  Too expensive, by the time you add in exchange on the dollar (none in Canada?), shipping, etc.  So he said “so why not build one yourself”?  Simple - I have never held one, or shot one, or even seen one up close and personal. Ever.  But I always loved the look of them.
So that became 5 months of filing every picture I could find, calibrating the ratios of riser to limbs, width and length of sight window, grip, etc. I decided to use the limb shape from an old tracing of a Bear Tamerlane I had in the 70’s, no need to go static or anything drastic.  After I had my drawings looking close I realized this thing has an incredibly long riser, and the cost of rosewood was going up exponentially. So I started with a 36” long piece of Rosewood, laid out the accent and fade angles, and made the cuts. I used Purpleheart between Sugar Maple for the accent stripe, and Bubinga for the “horns”.

That ended up at 33” between the fades, which wasn’t going to leave much for the limbs if I wanted to end up around 62”.  So I cut the fades back and ended up with a 27” riser, which left me with 18” limbs, and it looked pretty close proportionately.  I may have to build another one, because now I have 2 large wedges of Rosewood and the lower half of the Bubinga to make a new riser.  I added on the 3 layers of black and white glass to the riser back, and then 2 layers to the belly, even though Bear didn’t.  This thing is so long and slender I was starting to second guess my measurements, so a couple extra layers of reinforcement can’t hurt.

Then it was form building time (I think the plywood is about the same cost as the Rosewood),  and then deciding on what to do with the limbs.  I went with clear glass over Rosewood/Yew for the back, StabilKor, edge grain Paduak belly lamination, and black glass of the belly.  My target draw weight was 45# @ 28”, and after checking all my records I went with .210 at 2” below the fades, both lams are .001 taper.  Double checked everything, made a dry run in the form, and ………..it worked!  I don’t have a long oven, since I do take-downs now almost exclusively, so I tented it, ran a 220V heater under it, and left it for the night. Almost crapped when I saw the air hose was quite limp.  I don’t know how or when it happened, I had checked it the week prior to.  Held my breath till I could grind off all the glue and check the laminations, but it all seems to be 100% tight, the glue lines are perfect from one end to the other.  Dodged a major bullet, somehow.  So here it is, I’m very happy with the result, haven’t a clue how accurate it is to the original, and don’t really care.  The bow is 63” ntn, it draws smoothly beyond my 29” and the shot is fast!! The weight came in at 45# after tiller and 44# after final sanding and finish.  Dead in the hand release, just a bit of string noise, but will tune it out over the next while.  Trying for that “thud” that Kirk keeps talking about, rather than the twang in E minor.  Built a new set of arrows for it and have yet to tune it all together. Done!

Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2023, 09:15:24 PM »
Nice looking Recurve :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2023, 11:15:13 PM »
That's a beautiful bow Noah! The contrast the white glass gives is great, regardless of how 'faithful' you were to the original.  Gorgeous wood selections.

Crappie is some good eating fish John, haven't had any in years though.

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: April 15, 2023, 08:11:46 AM »
Noah
18" is good for working limbs :jumper:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: April 15, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »
Noah, beautiful work on that bow. I have wanted to build my take on a Black Widow recurve. I even have some risers roughed out. You may have just inspired me to get my ass in gear. 😁
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: April 15, 2023, 09:47:58 AM »
That’s a fine looking bow Noah!

Good catch John! I used to catch Crappie fishing with my dad 60 some years ago. Haven’t eaten any since then.

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2023, 11:47:06 AM »
Thanks very much guys!  I’m really looking forward to getting out with it.  Dave, if you start on that Black Widow replica, maybe start a new thread and see how many others out there have built or wish to start on a replica of their favourites.
Nice fish John, I think the ice is just coming off the only local lake with Crappie in it.
Regards, Noah
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: April 15, 2023, 12:51:42 PM »
That’s a fine looking bow Noah!

Good catch John! I used to catch Crappie fishing with my dad 60 some years ago. Haven’t eaten any since then.

15 minutes to the lake here in Mississippi, lot's of Crappie  :)
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: April 15, 2023, 02:29:02 PM »
Good looking fades on the riser!    :thumbsup:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2023, 07:52:36 PM »
I got one pretty close today. Quartersawen sycamore riser W/black dye carbon front and sycamore belly with a little splat. 60 in. 35@28

High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2023, 08:45:31 PM »
Good looking bow Stic! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: April 15, 2023, 10:30:45 PM »
}}}}===============>>

Offline DesM8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2023, 01:11:22 AM »
First real leather project other than the sheaths I made for the drawknife and hatchet... Finally putting the new leather bench to use.  Kind of a possibles bag/pouch to go on my belt.  I dont know how useful or annoying it'll be in practice tbh lol.  Mostly just wanted to try to design and make something out of leather to see how all this stuff works.  Hoping to make some really nice leather grips for the bows in the future, more than just a rectangle wrapped around like I've done so far  :biglaugh:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: April 16, 2023, 09:16:11 AM »
Very nice bag and leather work.  :thumbsup:
 Do you use the shoe anvil for shoes or just as an anvil?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©