Author Topic: 2023 What did you do today....  (Read 68339 times)

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2023 What did you do today....
« Reply #460 on: April 19, 2023, 02:39:10 PM »
I got a new batch of Prototype Carbon for use in recurve bows some days ago.
So what's the best way to Test it?

Yes. Use it in Prototype Recurve ILF Limbs, of which ich just built one pair with glass before...  :biglaugh:

Hoping for 35-40#.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2023, 04:29:04 PM »
Nice turkey trumpets. What are strikers for? No wild turkeys over here.

Bue, the strikers are for use with slate pot calls.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2023, 05:07:27 PM »
Where did you get the carbon?
High on Archery.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: April 19, 2023, 09:10:35 PM »
Post twice
High on Archery.

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: April 20, 2023, 05:49:34 AM »
I am developing the Carbon in cooporation with an Others bowyer here in Germany.
A local Carbon manufacturer is producing it by our requirements.
We testen a Ton of layups and resin-to-fiber-ratios to get Carbon that suits our needs and expectations in Performance and durability.

The Carbon for Hybrid and longbows is Set Up.

Now we fine tune the Version for use in Recurves.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »
I am developing the Carbon in cooporation with an Others bowyer here in Germany.
A local Carbon manufacturer is producing it by our requirements.
We testen a Ton of layups and resin-to-fiber-ratios to get Carbon that suits our needs and expectations in Performance and durability.

The Carbon for Hybrid and longbows is Set Up.

Now we fine tune the Version for use in Recurves.

Am i safe to assume you are using different pre preg carbon layers with uni carbon and bias weave together?  Back when we were testing different lay ups, we found that the best mix for recurves was  XOXOX ... The X being a 45/45 bias weave, and the O being uni carbon....We used it on the back of the limbs only. Then used XOX under .030 clear glass on the belly side.

Good luck keeping any carbon backing used directly on the belly successfully. I never got much longevity out of carbon directly on the belly side of the limbs myself.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online B-JS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: April 20, 2023, 03:58:14 PM »
No Prepregs, but you are right with the Mix.

The Belly Carbon needs to be different from the Back.

It's a long way and there is still a Lot to do.

The bows, i Made from China Carbon (50% 45/45 and 50% UD) on Back and Belly are all Holding Up ...yet.

But i don't build then with more than 45# and the Design bends very smooth...
So Not much Stress in the Limbs...

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: April 21, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »
I think the limb geometry, or limb shape does have a large effect on the shear factor on belly carbon. Where I had problems was with static tip RC designs with shorter working limb sections. I had the same issues with hybrid long bows with shorter working limb portions….

But…. When I started changing things up on taper rates and wedges allowing a more uniform bend to the limbs so I wouldn’t blow the carbon off the belly, I lost too much performance.

So I ended up with a more expensive carbon backed bow, that didn’t perform any better than my glass limbs did using a shorter working section. More importantly I lost my nice string angle at longer draw lengths that my more aggressive glass limbs provided.   

What I struggle with now is torsional stability in low draw weight static tip RC limbs. I am going to play with using some of this 45/45 twill carbon from China on these a bit and see if it will help. The stable core isn’t enough…

I wish you luck on your project.  I had a lot of fun with that years ago. But it’s  Too expensive for me to play with too much any more.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: April 21, 2023, 01:01:10 PM »
Today I got my oil furnace up and running again. The part I needed was a burner control mod that I installed yesterday…. But the motor on the fuel pump portion wasn’t kicking on…. I was bummed out…. Thought I just wasted a $100 on the wrong part….

So I fired up you tube again and watched a couple more videos this morning.  As I was watching, I spotted something that didn’t look the same on the wiring connections as mine. So I went back in and opened her up…. Sure enough, I found a ground wire to the motor that wasn’t connected, and Bingo!  She fired right up.

That saved me a couple hundred bucks doing it myself….. I’m jazzed!

Trying to find service techs for oil furnaces around here any more is tough to do. Seems everyone has gone to gas or heat pumps any more….   

Now I can go fishing tomorrow and come home to a warm house!    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: April 21, 2023, 02:09:54 PM »
I am going to play with using some of this 45/45 twill carbon from China on these a bit and see if it will help. The stable core isn’t enough… 

Thats on my list.  Nothing that I build (at this time) is in particular need of additional stability however I want to see how it might benefit an ASL With a Hill style grip.  That type of grip is prone to torque so I'm kinda intrigued by the idea of reducing it.   Same with my modern "longbow"  that I sometimes do with a hill style grip.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: April 21, 2023, 03:22:11 PM »
Using 45/45 carbon on an ASL design is a total waste of perfectly good carbon unless you are doing it for looks..... If you are trying to pick up some speed, then you want to use ,030 Uni on the back and belly. There is no torsional or lateral stability issues with that design, even with back set built into them..... Save it for recurve limbs, or radical hybrids  bro.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: April 21, 2023, 06:18:41 PM »
If its only twill I say prolly just for looks and looks neat.

Anyhow I picked up a Widow a couple of weeks ago. Always said I would never have one unless it was a one piece. This one pretty sweet.

High on Archery.

Offline Jon Lipovac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: April 21, 2023, 07:35:57 PM »
Stic.
Is that a PA or a KB? I’ve always thought those were some of the best looking 1 piece bows IMO.
How does it shoot? Every 3 piece widow I’ve shot has a little after shock in the limbs.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: April 21, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »
Nice looking bow.  I like it better than the Widow TD look.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: April 22, 2023, 08:31:04 AM »
Jon PTF.
High on Archery.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »
Using 45/45 carbon on an ASL design is a total waste of perfectly good carbon unless you are doing it for looks..... If you are trying to pick up some speed, then you want to use ,030 Uni on the back and belly. There is no torsional or lateral stability issues with that design, even with back set built into them..... Save it for recurve limbs, or radical hybrids  bro.

May be good advice....... buuut I'm an addicted experimenter.

Not interested in carbon look and not looking for speed.  Just stability.  There is a surprising amount of torque applied at the grip which results in lateral torque.  Some shooters handle it better than others but it's always there to some degree especially at lighter draw weights. 

The simplest cure is a forward handle ASL which are much loved by a few but the die hard ASL aficionado not so much.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »
Got another curve going I took a sliver off the form in the butt area to add a bit of preload. Got a .019 twill in the mix and some cracked osage veneers (character flaw) Still under the green tape  :bigsmyl:

High on Archery.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: April 23, 2023, 12:28:27 PM »

Not interested in carbon look and not looking for speed.  Just stability.  There is a surprising amount of torque applied at the grip which results in lateral torque.  Some shooters handle it better than others but it's always there to some degree especially at lighter draw weights. 

The simplest cure is a forward handle ASL which are much loved by a few but the die hard ASL aficionado not so much.

If you are “applying” torque to your grip,  you are shooting yourself in the foot…

but I guess that is the part about shooting ASL bows that kick like a mule I’ll never understand…You need to learn how to “grip” the bow just right applying torque to the riser, and break your elbow a bit to absorb the hand shock with a bow that shoots 20 FPS less….  What is wrong with this picture?   

You guys have a sickness me thinks… :biglaugh:
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: April 23, 2023, 06:15:58 PM »

If you are “applying” torque to your grip,  you are shooting yourself in the foot…

but I guess that is the part about shooting ASL bows that kick like a mule I’ll never understand…You need to learn how to “grip” the bow just right applying torque to the riser, and break your elbow a bit to absorb the hand shock with a bow that shoots 20 FPS less….  What is wrong with this picture?   

You guys have a sickness me thinks… :biglaugh:

Well,  mine don't "kick" at all,  and it is all about the grip.  I had a 50# 66" ASL  that I shot for quite a few years and it was always one of two bows with me on any but a day hunt.  Perfectly comfortable bow at the shot.  Then there was that one time that it stung me.  Tired?  Distracted?  Not sure what was going on but my grip was Complete fail.  Fella I sold it to has no problems with it and he shoots it frequently.

One of my son in laws can't shoot an ASL period.  Gets hand shocked every time.  I can see what he's doing wrong but can't get through to him.  He has been a contractor/builder all his life and he grips like the bow is a heavy power tool. 😀

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: April 23, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
Studied at the book of laminations today...
Cut up a few hard maple and bamboo laminations.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©