3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting someone new to archery who’s left eye dominant/right handed  (Read 1956 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting someone new to archery who’s left eye dominant/right handed
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 05:49:53 PM »
I've shot guns and bows left handed since the first time I picked one up....never even tried to shoot RH.....but everything else in my life is RH...Im left eye dom.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 08:47:42 PM »
Absolutely shoot with dominant eye. I know I'm RH but left eye dominant.   
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 10:35:40 PM »
Hey all, I’m just curious what way you would have them shoot. If you take someone who’s never shot a bow or gun. And they are right handed but left eye dominant. Would you start them off right handed or left handed?

My son is like this. Righty and left eye dominant. I started him leftie in all shooting sports. Glad I did. He doesn’t know the difference. 

The only problem is he can’t shoot anything I own cause im hard core righty. Ugh.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 04:38:58 PM »
In "our" training (some of you know the "our" I speak of) we've recommended to over 100,000 school teachers that they recommend matching the eye with the string hand, but without demanding or insisting.  To help the cross dominant person accept this we offered that both hands do important things in archery.

In the end though, which ever the person is most comfortable, that's the correct set up.

I shot RH for 28 years until 1996 when I switched to LH to match my left dominant eye. Best move I ever made.

I don't disagree with folks who prefer to shoot cross dominant though.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 04:52:54 PM »
FWIW, My youngest son "Little Bear" started shooting about 3yrs old. Always shot right handed.

It wasn't untill he was 12, and I put him in a trap league, that we found out he was left eye dominent.
He started shooting guns left handed, and still does to this day. He's almost 24 now.

But, he still shoots his bows right handed. "I don't have to aim Pop, I just shoot" LMAO
Hey, it works for him... He's pretty deadly with both!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2023, 08:11:17 PM »
Learn or teach them to shoot instinctively. Eye dominance doesn't matter with instinctive shooting. G Fred Asbell's book, "Instinctive Shooting" got me on the right track way back in 1988 when I got started. I think I'd let the person use whichever hand was most comfortable for them to use. No need adding complications to the mix.  :archer2:

Interestingly, Fred Asbell recommended shooting the bow that matches your dominant eye.  I attended his instinctive shooting class at Black Widow about 20 years ago, and he changed a couple of right hand shooters to left handed bows because they were left eye dominant right there in the class.  I don't know if he still feels that strongly about it or not.
I am one of the guys that G. Fred made switch from right to left at the Black Widow/Asbell instinctive shooting clinic because of my dominate eye being left. I shot right handed for probably 30 years and my dominate eye seemed to switch after needing glasses in my 40’s.  I now shoot with both right and left handed bows but I am more consistent shooting with my dominate eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©