Author Topic: Tiller measurement's and limb balance  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
Re: Tiller measurement's and limb balance
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »
Thats true Roy, it's just a little more complicated getting there.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 08:51:07 PM »
 :bigsmyl:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 09:28:29 PM »
Done it many times Buggs:)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 06:32:25 AM »
All of my personal bows are asymmetrical. I prefer how they balance in the hand to carry, and how they balance during the draw.

It's actually easier to dynamiclally balance their limb strengths during the draw than it is to balance a symmetrical bow because the asymmetrical bow's critical factors regarding dynamic balance are generally more closely aligned to begin with... bow center/static balance point, and the fulcrums under our hands. Their closer proximity to one another means less movement of the dynamic/sliding fulcrum under the bow hand as the draw transpires... which makes it easier to navigate during tillering(if tillering for dynamic balance) and feels better in the finished bow.

If I was making a bow for someone who was string walking or had a low fixed crawl I'd reassess bow center location and maybe then a symmetrical design would get those things better aligned, for them. Depends.

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 11:06:12 AM »
All of my personal bows are asymmetrical. I prefer how they balance in the hand to carry, and how they balance during the draw.

It's actually easier to dynamiclally balance their limb strengths during the draw than it is to balance a symmetrical bow because the asymmetrical bow's critical factors regarding dynamic balance are generally more closely aligned to begin with... bow center/static balance point, and the fulcrums under our hands. Their closer proximity to one another means less movement of the dynamic/sliding fulcrum under the bow hand as the draw transpires... which makes it easier to navigate during tillering(if tillering for dynamic balance) and feels better in the finished bow.

If I was making a bow for someone who was string walking or had a low fixed crawl I'd reassess bow center location and maybe then a symmetrical design would get those things better aligned, for them. Depends.

Cant argue with that. But for someone who is learning to build laminated bows, the process of determining the layout and final profile for a bow with multiple points of asymmetry and then timing the limbs, would be more complicated than one with identical limbs, profiled from a center point.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »

Can you quantify how much asymmetry you use? Longer top limb? Asymmetrical riser as well?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 12:19:07 PM »
I cant speak for BJ, but I make my straight end longbows with 2" longer upper limb and 1" shorter lower fadeout.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 02:21:04 PM »
Buggs, do you actually shorten one limb or are you saying by sliding the arrow shelf up more gives you the asymmetrical bow?

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 02:57:51 PM »
Actually a little of both. I tweak the stack slightly and shift the center point down. Also have simply moved the asymmetrical riser down an inch to achieve the same effect with a symmetrical layup.Both end up with a shorter working lower limb, but the shelf is closer to actual center. I honestly can't say if it really makes limb timing more difficult because its been so long since I have laminated a bow with a different technique.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2023, 03:56:10 PM »
but the shelf is closer to actual center

Yes that is what bowjunkie and I like to achieve.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 04:50:51 PM »
My riser is symmetrical. Center of handle/riser is at the apex of deflex. Top limb is usually longer by 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". So top limb is designated coming off the form... glass bows and bamboo backed. Same same.

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 05:07:06 PM »
You guys are old school ;) 

Thats what I learned in the pre-internet days, when unless you had a mentor, you were at the mercy of ancient  library books and dusty old used book stores for any coveted bow building info. All the old books I collected and learned from, shorty bottom bows were the norm.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 05:38:48 PM »
All my bows have had a shorter lower limb.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2023, 09:46:11 PM »

Cant argue with that. But for someone who is learning to build laminated bows, the process of determining the layout and final profile for a bow with multiple points of asymmetry and then timing the limbs, would be more complicated than one with identical limbs, profiled from a center point.

This is dead on Buggs .... I know some damn good bowyers that obsessed with Asymmetrical vs symmetrical balancing and i'm sorry.... but i'm not seeing the the extra time and effort paying any dividends at all myself.    just my opinion...  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©