INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2023 Laredo Tusk Roundup ☆ Invasion 1 - Parting Shots pg 8  (Read 16459 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Laredo Tusk Roundup ☆ Invasion 1
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2023, 01:15:45 PM »
APB******

GAWGIA man missing in Texas....

58 years old, Answers to the name of Tarz....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
Thanks Roy, I fixed it to make it look better. I may have to fix another one.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2023, 02:23:51 PM »
Ya you did a heck of a job. LOL

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Laredo Tusk Roundup ☆ Invasion 1 - Parting Shots pg 8
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2023, 10:04:56 PM »
I had a lot of great Experiences on the 1st hunt...

I was thrilled that the greeting party were all still here.

I got to see the biggest javalina I have ever seen.

I got to track said javalina and it was one of my most rewarding tracks ever. My intuition and gut feeling never wavered. The emotions were as if I had killed the biggest myself.

I'm now closing in on double digit trackings with my same flash light in the DAYLIGHT.

I got to visit with old friends and make new ones.

Speaking of new ones, I came in the dining area the 2nd night and Larry had some device, contraption, or paraphanalia, he was dropping small little chunks into the top of and was lighting it on fire. And, there was newcomer Pete filming it all!!!

I thought we were all going to jail.  :scared: :readit: :scared:

And, I also got to experience the generosity of Larry when he presented us all a special gift.

The continual dissemination of the javie population by the Arkansas Mafia.

The two javies that fell to the historical Little Delta Bow, and presenting the signed Little Delta Bow Sock to Sam as well.

Three guys that hadn't killed a javie before,  and two on their 1st javie hunt.

Watching THE dumbest javie on the ranch getting culled.

And of course, more great food.

Thanks for coming guys!!!!

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2023, 10:27:33 PM »
Oh, and there is a strong chance of a hunt being donated to St Jude's auction this year.

Just waiting on the land owner's permission.  So, I remain hopeful.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »
Folks, I apologize for the delayed entry regarding my experience at 2023 Laredo Tusk Round Up Week #1. I've had a little whirlwind of travels getting back to Iowa, then immediately headed out to Kalamazoo Traditional Bow EXPO, then back to the grind at work... Hopefully this entry beats the final curtain call  :goldtooth: :campfire:

I'll keep it short and sweet. I had a great time meeting new friends and enjoying camp the entire week. We had a great meal at the Palenque Grill on Saturday to kick off the gathering. Food and conversation was excellent.

Sunday was our first day to hunt. James D & myself completely blanked on Javelina Sightings, though Deer, Cottontails, Jack Rabbits, and Coyotes were sighted. I'm pretty certain our lack of Javelina sightings centered around not having corned the senderos of our intended hunt location the day before. I highly recommend you corn as soon as possible upon arrival to give the Javelina a chance to find it... Success was had in camp, and the fire was lit for Brats over Mesquite. Thanks to the Kansas Boys for bringing the Brats, I'm so glad we took time to celebrate over the fire...

On Monday the Javelina had found our corn and the hunt was on. Several close calls were had and we were learning what you can and cannot get away with on a Javelina Hunt. Fortunately, mid to late afternoon provided me with a 12 yard shot on my first Javelina. Praise God for a wonderful harvest and the Javie did not make it 20 yards. As we would come to learn over the week, that's a huge blessing considering the Cactus & Brush make it extremely difficult to trail in. Here she is, a wonderful representation of the species. :pray: :goldtooth:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2023, 10:04:07 AM »
Way to go Travis!  You guys had a blast!  Thanks for taking us along! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2023, 10:30:58 AM »
Tuesday - Thursday was kind of a fast paced whirlwind of hunting as James D and I did our best to get on the Javelina. We had a mix of opportunities that just didn't fall into place. I had my heart set on an equal or larger Javie then I'd gotten for my first. Trust me, this wasn't a hard & fast rule... :readit: But it did turn a few of my encounters into passed shots waiting for a bigger one in the group only to have a smaller one figure something out. There indeed is a ripple effect. Wind, hearing, and upclose eye-sight of movement will take the whole crew back in the brush. I was at full draw more than once only to have it blow up at the last second. On Thursday, the Final afternoon was a prime example. We had started to figure out the Javies on a particular sendero and the wind had been tricky all day. Ambush sights were finicky at best with swirling winds. Eventually, James D and I consulted and figured out a spot that seemed perfect for the wind. Almost perfect........ :dunno:

I tucked a Millenium Swivel seat right into this Cactus hide that I'd cleared. I had 3 shooting windows Left-Center-Right and was very well hidden.

It took awhile but eventually I could hear the Javelina following the script. :pray: :o Corn munching was getting louder but I couldn't see them yet. Patience and then they appeared... I'm guessing 8-10 Javies were approaching the Red Zone. I had thrown out a spread of corn in each shooting window so they would mill around. I'm not certain that's the best approach, but it's what I did. The down side is milling invites more eyes than a single file approach. There were at least 2 Big Boars in the bunch and all was good. The smaller ones made there way through and the larger ones were approaching. This was a beautiful setup. I had multiple Javies from 5-15 yards. Finally one of the Big Boars was approaching and going through my Cactus Draw Block. I had to make a slight adjustment in my seat. :help: Well, that didn't go well at all. A large Squeak from the Seat and the whole group blew up in my face... :dunno: :nono: It had performed fine til that point but I later learned this seat was a squeaker that I should have cleaned and potentially wetted with spit. :knothead: I figured my hunt was over and started the reflection phase :thumbsup: As the sun was setting and it appeared my hunt was over, I noticed three more Javelina coming in. 2 Small, one Large. With a fixed chair, I was ready for battle and the ultimate Rainbow finish... The 2 small came into my setup and I waited for the Large. You know it only takes one precision arrow to close the deal in seconds. The 2 small ones gobbled up the corn at 5-7 yards, and the Larger one was approaching slowly. Once again, at the last possible moment the wind swirled and first the two blew out which led to a hasty retreat of the large one. Game over...

Reflection and gratitude for a wonderful week of "hunting", meeting new friends, and a beautiful closing sunset. Thank you to everyone who made this trip special including the Sponsors :thumbsup:

Special thanks to James D for Smoking Ribs & Javie, and letting me tag along... :clapper:

Special thanks to Larry for the Spirits and take home gift :clapper:

Special thanks to the Trick Boys for the Interest and Advice, and the HAM!  :clapper:

Special thanks to Terry, Joe, Tony, and Pete for completing the camp comraderie  :campfire: :clapper:

Final Sunset

Here's my pack going home. Backpack stuffed to full Zipper Stretch with Binos tucked between the Suspension System, Cooler Bursting with Javelina Meat, and a secret Javelina Skull wrapped in Under Armor / Bubble Wrap / and my week's blue shower towel strapped below. Praise God I made through security and all the way home.

Well done everyone :clapper: And to my friend Pete, El Chingon :archer2:

Take care my friends :pray:

KAZ

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:51:33 AM by KAZ »

Offline Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2023, 10:55:54 AM »
Nice write up KAZ!  Sounds like the javis were really pretty cooperative for everyone that week.  I hope that continues for us in week 2.   

Z

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2023, 11:55:35 AM »
It should be great Z. This is the 2nd day of the forecast for 4 days.  All the same, cold,windy and on and off rain with fog.

Next week is all warm and sunny, and the critters will be hungry.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »

My essentials  :biglaugh:

Preventing thorns, pulling big thorns, finding tiny thorns, and pulling same. :biglaugh:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2023, 10:34:19 PM »
Gotta love those South Texas prickly pear cactus.  :biglaugh:
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2023, 10:49:22 PM »
Terry…  :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Never laughed so hard. 
I was just adding a little smoke to the bourbon ya’ll! That’s it!  :laughing: :laughing:
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2023, 11:10:22 PM »
Terry…  :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Never laughed so hard. 
I was just adding a little smoke to the bourbon ya’ll! That’s it!  :laughing: :laughing:
:goldtooth:

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2023, 11:24:19 PM »
Larry, I saw that Terry's post could've been taken two ways but was just sitting back and waiting for your response :biglaugh:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
I love seeing these hunts every year, and it's only intermission. 

Congrats to all, and thanks for sharing!!!

:clapper:

Offline Momma Kohunna

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
Congrats everyone!!! Looks like y'all had a great time as always.  I hope my husband wasn't boring and kept you all entertained.  :biglaugh:

Also, thanks for joining him as it gave me an excuse to leave also, and visit our girls. I read up on this yesterday in the airport, waiting to board the plane. This thread is a hoot let me tell ya!!!

Best to the next group coming in.  :wavey:

The CEO and CFO of Bowhush will be along soon to congratulate a certain individual.
By grace are ye saved

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »
Wow, 8 pages, it took a while for me to read through it. These LTR threads every year are just fabulous.  Bring on week 2!!!

:archer2: :archer2: :archer2:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »
Sorry for the delay on the Bowhush Excecutives. I've got to finish up their avatars and signatures at their request. They've changed a bit since their last update they said.....

:smileystooges:

Offline Rachel Mary Green

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Rachel Mary Green
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2023, 08:04:57 PM »
Hello guys. Sarah and I are dragging mom around the city, so we want to thank y'all for going hunting as well so she could visit in the middle of his three week trip. I'm sure y'all had fun.

Ok, so Sarah and I would like to congratulate Smokin Joe for taking the biggest javalina my dad has ever seen. Dad was really excited being there and tracking it. Congrats again, and Sarah is going to chime in now.  :wavey:
http://Rachelmarygreen.com

&

YouTube Channels - Rachel Mary Green and Rachel & Sarah Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©