3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I must be gettin' old.......  (Read 427 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
I must be gettin' old.......
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
I love to hunt and I can't go for more than a week without shooting a few arrows. I guess it is the fact that I am getting older, but so much of what I read in magazines and see on t.v. just makes me ill. I grew up having my older brothers let me tag along on squirrel and rabbit hunts. Started trapping at age 8. Didn't get bit by the "bow bug" until in my late twenties and trad bows shortly thereafter.
As a boy, I was taught that woodsmanship is the most important part of hunting....know the trees and plants, the animals in general and the one you are hunting in particular. Respect the animals, don't worship them. Any animal taken ethically is a trophy. Use what you kill.
Practice with your gear and keep it in top shape. Razor sharp broadheads mounted true. Pretty simple stuff really. The most important element here is time. And time is the one thing that there never seems to be enough of. We need to find/take/make time to do what is necessary to be the best hunter we can be.  Find the arrow/broadhead combo that works best from the bow that YOU prefer and tune and practice until you are confident in your ability to kill an animal at the range that YOU are comfortable with.
Sure we all need to glean information from others. Starting out, I was fortunate to have a close friend at my church that guided me along. But ultimately, hunting in general and with a traditional bow in particular is a personal thing. Don't let others make the decision as to what bow, arrow, broadhead, camo, ect. that is right for you. Figuring out what is best for you is part of the journey. The preparation is part of the of the journey and sometimes it is as exciting and fulfilling as the destination itself. Take time to try things out and find out what works for you. Take the advise of others, but don't let all the differing opinions confuse you. If you don't feel confident hunting with your new longbow this season, don't. Hunting with a traditional bow should be a personal decision. There is no magic bow, arrow or camo for everyone. Shooting a light bow? 2 blade head. Heavier bow? Stick with the 2 blade unless you want to try 3 blade! Shoot a recurve better than a longbow? Pratice harder with the longbow or stick with the recurve. Like wood arrows? Make up some straight ones that are of hunting weight and fly well from your bow and have at it! Want to try plaid instead of camo? Cool! Practice hard, have fun and learn something new everytime you go to the woods.
This stuff in FUN, don't make it harder than it needs to be. I have found myself reading different reports/reviews and doubting the equipment I am using!...."I'd better change to this head, 'cause of...." or "so and so uses that XX brand of camo and he killed a big buck so...". Don't complicate the simplicity of traditional archery/hunting. Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip.
Sorry if I rambled on, but I need to vent a bit and you all were handy! God Bless>--------> Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I must be gettin' old.......
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Hey Mike, yep, I agree. I love to fling quills. Any bow will do. Kiss - keep it simple stu...
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline JohnB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Mike. Best thread I have read in a while......JohnB

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
well said

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Well said, kinda the way I've been thinking for awhile.
Conny

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Very well done Mike!

Learning HOW to hunt and YOUR effective range is most important. If you learn as much as you can about the game you are after, it will not matter what particular piece of equipment or type of "camo" you are wearing.You learn to get the game into your effective range and become a more successful hunter based on YOUR individual goals.

Oh,,and by the way Mike, the title of your topic,,,yes you are getting old GRANDPA!     :biglaugh:
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Great job of venting Mike.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks Mike, You are a wise man!

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Amen! Mike ya nailed it buddy, I feel the same way...but at 52 Im not getting old , just getting started, LOL...have great Mother Day!! God bless our Troops...never forget , never forget...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Thank you, as a newbie to the sport -- this is wisdom that is not only encouraging but well applied to the early stages of learning I find myself in at the present time. Indeed I am finding making arrows for the first time exciting, putting on my first cat wisker silencers (yesterday) was really a small endeavor which produced much satisfaction. I couldn't wait to shoot one of my own newly made arrows in my 6 yrd range in the laundry room just to see the difference...Wow, I was totally amazed at the silent instant fwhump -- the only sound was the arrow hitting the box target I made. I just finished making my first quiver out of scraps of leather and cord I had -- it holds 12 arrows nicely. I could go on even though my initiation into the world of archery has only been a few months... so I'll stop here lest I ramble (easily done on this topic).  

Thanks Mike

shade seeker

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
That is very refreshing.  Sometimes I find myself getting caught up in the latest greatest only to be swallowed by the next latest greatest.  Do what you like like what you do!  Thanks for the insight and keeping it real.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks Mike

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline workin at it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
Well stated sir...

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Right on Mike!!

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
yeesss!!!!   :notworthy:  thanks   :campfire:

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Well said Mike!Wisdom is just one of the perks of getting older.But ethics need to be taught from day one.  Leland

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
I agree well said its traditional not additional

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
very well said, I couldn't agree more.
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
I agree, and thank you.

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
FINALLY!!!!     :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    

Thanks, Mike.

From another "ancient" one.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©