3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum arrow help/spine choice  (Read 4244 times)

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum arrow help/spine choice
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »
Hello,
I’m considering trying Al arrows ( XX75 camo Hunter ) next season but not sure where to start on spine ( mostly used carbons in the past ).. I’m shooting a Cheyenne 52@30” but am pulling 28” .. so that puts me in the 45-47ish lb range ??  I’m going to use a 300 grain 3 blade VPA head .. anyways , where would I start selecting a shaft ? Thanks

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum arrow help/spine choice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 10:02:10 AM »
Might try a 2117

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:58:28 AM »
+1
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 11:48:40 AM »
Yup, was going to say 2117 too. Start long and cut back. Easy to do with alumnum.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:51:21 AM »
 :archer2:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 12:02:32 PM »
So how long are you cutting the arrows, bop?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 12:24:10 PM »
...2117 on paper "should be" close.

Depends on several things , like cut to center, shooting style etc...Agree with those above. 2117 "should be" close.

If the shelf is built out , slower/heavier string/silencers...you might get a 2018 to go with that nose weight and insert weight ? 

You can be two types of people....cut all your arrows at one length and go from there ...or play with the length in the tune process.     I would add a couple 2018's in on the "to try" testing block. I just LOVE 2018's and they fly well from a wide range of weights & the 5/16" dia and thick wall make for a very TOUGH shaft .   

other's might be 2216-2213 if that dia. is  an acceptable perimeter ;)
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »
My carbons are 29” arrows . I’d rather cut them to approx 1+/-“ hanging out past shelf at full draw but leaving them a little longer isn’t totally out of the question if they tune right . I shoot three under with a wool puffs on the string and recurve wraps at ends towards the loops

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »
I think 2117 are going to be way stiff. I'm using 2016 with set ups like that. If I read right and you cut a 2117 to 29 inches that's never going to work.

I just re read your post and your only pulling 45 or 47 I just don't see a 2117 working. I'm shooting those out of much heavier bows.

I've been wrong before though!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:52:11 PM by Alexander Traditional »

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 05:02:02 PM »
My carbons are 29” arrows . I’d rather cut them to approx 1+/-“ hanging out past shelf at full draw but leaving them a little longer isn’t totally out of the question if they tune right . I shoot three under with a wool puffs on the string and recurve wraps at ends towards the loops

Then 2018 or 2115 will do you better.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 05:04:57 PM »
I think 2117 are going to be way stiff. I'm using 2016 with set ups like that. If I read right and you cut a 2117 to 29 inches that's never going to work.

I just re read your post and your only pulling 45 or 47 I just don't see a 2117 working. I'm shooting those out of much heavier bows.

I've been wrong before though!

But he is using 300 grains up front so one has to allow for that. No doubt 2117 will work but think there are better like 2018 if you want heavy arrows or 2115 for lighter ones.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 05:41:20 PM »
I'd be interested to hear back. I don't think you could make a 2117 work with any weight up front cut to 29 inch out of a 45 pound bow.

I've got 1916 flying really good out of set ups like that.

Offline shingobee shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 06:15:51 PM »
I would get a test kit and start there. I primarily use a 48lb bw longbow and 53lb Holm made recurve and 28.5" 2016s with 200 grains up front work well out of both bows for me. They also shoot pretty decent out of my son's 55lb bear Montana longbow.  Every set up and person is different though, so I definitely think it's worth shooting a few different options to figure out what works for you. 

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 07:13:46 PM »
I’ll order a couple of each spine and test them . It’ll be a minute  before I order but if I can remember I’ll let yall know . I’m really interested now . Never gone down the aluminum rabbit hole .  Thanks for all in the input and knowledge. Anybody else is welcome also
Thanks

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »
A 2117 is similar to a 400 spine. 300 grain up front is a bunch. He should be able to make it work. Start full length and cut down a bit at a time. Those vpa fly like darts. That arrow is gonna be heavy as hell.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 11:45:10 PM »
I would typically agree with the 2016 or maybe 2018  with the tip weights most aluminum arrow shooters shoot.Which is probably 100 to 175 grains..

300 grains and the insert is getting heavy up front.Most heavy front loading is done with carbon arrows typically.Have not heard much about heavy tips and aluminum because most guys dont go that heavy with aluminum.

Aluminum does not act the same way as carbon with front loading.It bends more and does not straighten up as fast and or recover as fast in flight.Something to consider.

Maybe someone can chime in who loads up the front end with aluminum shafts and thier experience with it?

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 06:54:35 AM »
I agree on the heavy side but it will be something to tinker with . I’m also interested to hear if anyone does go heavy on the front with Aluminum and their thoughts /experiences

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 08:35:38 AM »
I shoot a 2219 out of a 70# recurve, I'm probably only pulling about 67#. I have the front loaded with 250 grains and the insert. I shoot snuffers 145s with a 100 grain steel insert. I bare shaft tuned them. To be honest I had more trouble getting rid of nock high than i did any left or right tailing. I don't know if that was due to the front loading or what. I never was able to completely eliminate it, and it my broadheads hit just slightly lower than my fp. Maybe an inch lower at 10 yards.

My typical shot distance is between 10 and 15 yards so it didn't really matter all that much to me.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 11:07:52 AM »
I agree on the heavy side but it will be something to tinker with . I’m also interested to hear if anyone does go heavy on the front with Aluminum and their thoughts /experiences
When I shoot aluminums there is always 250-350 grains up front. Carbons aren’t the only shaft material to use extreme foc on. I achieve the most FOC with 2013’s and 300 up front. Will be trying 350 when the weather gets better. Remember tho I’m not shooting a lot of poundage but way more than 12 grains per pound arrow weight.

High foc aluminums sure fly well for me!
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:46 AM »
I’ll order a couple of each spine and test them . It’ll be a minute  before I order but if I can remember I’ll let yall know . I’m really interested now . Never gone down the aluminum rabbit hole .  Thanks for all in the input and knowledge. Anybody else is welcome also
Thanks

The one thing about aluminum arrows is that the spine consistency is much better than carbon shafts and much easier to tune…. The down side is that they are easily bent, and no amount of straightening will ever bring ‘em back to new.

I used to hunt with alloy shafts years ago….. but the first few times you take a fall and bend a whole quiver full of arrows 3 miles from camp, you’ll start thinking about going back to carbon shafts again real quick.     Just saying…. 
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©