3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: “Possible” new bow  (Read 1814 times)

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
“Possible” new bow
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:38:17 AM »
Just thinking of a new, real bow. I am sure with all the experience here, I can get steered in the right direction. I really like the Bears, Grizzly and Kodiak, with a stronger leaning toward the extra 2” of the Kodiak Hunter. There are many bows in this price range, but at my experience level, just haven’t a clue. I currently shoot 45# bows and with my draw length am pulling a tad over 40. I want stability foremost and speed second. Help and thanks.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: “Possible” new bow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 03:25:18 PM »
Several threads I've seen were Grizzly issues.  The Kodiak seems to have a solid rating but Grizzly I see people complaining about and returning.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 04:51:18 PM »
If you have the funds to get a Kodiak, you will be set up with a great bow. The Grizzly costs a little less and has always been a "working man's" bow -- it gets the job done well. The Kodiak Hunter comes in third in my opinion due to the very high-wrist grip and so-so performance compared to the other two.

I have owned all three and I would get the Kodiak if I were you. Kodiaks look great, shoot great, and feel good in the hand.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 05:36:22 PM »
Anyone have experience with 3Rivers bows, specifically the Bearpaw Creed 60” recurve. Not many reviews out there except from 3Rivers.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »
Yeah, I like that bow a lot but it’s at the tip of the financial spear. I could and, if possible, would make it happen but would have to shoot that cost first. I have zero experience with one piece bows except the hybrid I have, it was $500+ and ordered online and I am just not “overwhelmed” with it. I want to be overwhelmed with $500+ bows, shouldn’t I be?

If you have the funds to get a Kodiak, you will be set up with a great bow. The Grizzly costs a little less and has always been a "working man's" bow -- it gets the job done well. The Kodiak Hunter comes in third in my opinion due to the very high-wrist grip and so-so performance compared to the other two.

I have owned all three and I would get the Kodiak if I were you. Kodiaks look great, shoot great, and feel good in the hand.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:48:21 PM »
  check out the Mad Dog Prairie Predator on the right hand classifieds page     :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 07:05:00 PM »
The beauty of the trad world is that if you are willing to shop around I bet you can find a used Grizzly at a very good price and shoot it often to determine if that is what you really want to invest in

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 07:33:13 PM »
I am a long bow enthusiast but have shot may Bear bows. Either the Grizzly or the Kodiak will serve you well, so try them and go with whatever feels right. If you are like so many of us, one bow just ain't gonna cut it. Many of us bought a nice bow, thinking we were set for life, and then we felt we needed two bows. Now some can't give you an accurate list of their bows without doing an inventory. My prediction is that eventually, you will have both bows along with others. This trad archery game is just that much fun. Let us know what you choose.
Sam

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 07:40:04 AM »
JohnyBa, Not sure where you are in Georgia, but I have all three of the Bears you mentioned in stock and probably some vintage. Come on by and you are welcome to shoot them. Many other bows as well.
thanks, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 10:36:12 AM »
Yeah, I like that bow a lot but it’s at the tip of the financial spear. I could and, if possible, would make it happen but would have to shoot that cost first. I have zero experience with one piece bows except the hybrid I have, it was $500+ and ordered online and I am just not “overwhelmed” with it. I want to be overwhelmed with $500+ bows, shouldn’t I be?

Yeah you would hope you would like a bow because it was "higher end".  But there is so much more to it than that.  The grip, the shelf cut, the feel of the draw.   That's why it's better to shoot before you buy.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »
Hey Big Jim, thanks for reaching out, I have learned from watching your vids, long way to go but the journey is a sweet one. I am up in Blairsville, so that makes seeing you a weekend thing and a bit out of my reach as a caregiver. I love the looks of your recurve, like I said, I know nothing of what is out there, Bear is just what I knew to look at. 12 months and $100 deposit makes me want to pull that trigger to give me a year of learning. May be getting back with you through your website/shop. Thanks again!

JohnyBa, Not sure where you are in Georgia, but I have all three of the Bears you mentioned in stock and probably some vintage. Come on by and you are welcome to shoot them. Many other bows as well.
thanks, BigJim

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 07:19:43 PM »
Thanks to all the input, I have made a decision, a sexy and beautiful Mountain  Monarch from Big Jim! Just laid in deposit and have a long time to work on my part of the job before getting it. Going to be a great wait and looking forward to tweaking form. Thanks again ALL!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 07:26:00 AM »
I’ve bought and sold a few bows (well, quite a few actually). Probably about thirty. Mostly used bows.  I decided awhile ago that I would keep only four or five around at a time.  But it is a lot of fun ordering a new bow and anticipating its arrival.

I catch some grief occasionally when I make the stupid comment that I have found the one bow, that magical bow, and am done buying bows. It never quite works out that way. There is always just one more that I want to try.

I am sure Big Jim will give you great advice.  The only real mistake I have made in the area of buying bows, and I have done it a couple of times is to buy a bow too heavy for me.

It is a great journey, and you have landed at a great site here.  I have met some wonderful people on Tradgang. Kind of strange really, but some of these guys I consider friends even tho I have never met them face to face. It’s that kind of place.  Terry and the Moderators don’t allow much of the nonsense that goes on at other internet sites, and I appreciate that.

Welcome, Johnny.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
FWIW...if you could somehow take Jim up on that offer it would be leaps and bounds above any on-line help !

Hands on with an experianced traditional archer/bowhunter is as good as it gets...What Jim is offering is mighty special...Please find a way to take him up on it .....Nothing beats holding a bow and getting a feel for the grip & then taking your time and shooting your narrowed down choices side by side with a knowledgeable archer helping you . Nothing !

Best with your journey -quest my friend ....

Big Jim....You offered the advise I was going to give after seeing he lives in Ga ;)   
 Good on you for reaching out to him ! :clapper:
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 12:25:56 PM »
Passed on the Bears and just went straight to Big Jim’s and put a deposit down on a Mt Monarch, what a beautiful bow and a true price of art. When it’s ready I will have to go down and take a day there to get acquainted with Jim and the the new whip! Thanks again guys!

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 02:22:04 PM »

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 02:26:12 PM »
Pics in order. Black Hunter 60” recurve, 45# @ 28. Typical group with “flier” from 22yds and a final group from 12yds. Working on it and will be posting some bows for sale soon.

Offline Mr Rover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 12:01:17 PM »
Congratulations on the new rig. Hands on is the best way to find what your looking for

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©