Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Aiming  (Read 4314 times)

Offline BruceT

• Trad Bowhunter
Aiming
« on: February 01, 2023, 05:47:48 PM »
    Something that I’ve been overlooking with my shooting woes is the process of aiming .
    I’ve just recently come to the conclusion, that in the past I have not given the process of aiming , enough attention. It’s hard to describe , but I think a lot of the time , I was coming to full draw , doing what I thought was aiming and releasing.
    But I kinda think ,that  process of aiming ,wasn’t getting the attention it deserved. It was kinda like a “Close enough” concept but maybe not really concentrating  on a spot . I think it was partly due to my mind thinking back pressure, shoulder alignment, release and other factors, that are important. But distracted from the aim process.
    I pretty much shoot daily. Nine yards inside the garage . No outdoor shooting in Manitoba, this time of the year. I’m taking more time to aim and trying to put my full contcentration  on the aim . I’m finding when I do this , with the full concentration, the release happens just about perfect most of time. Emphasis on the most !
   My point is , that sometimes maybe there’s to much emphasis on the mechanics of the shot , that we forget to aim properly .
   Finally I would like to acknowledge Jim Castos program , that got me to the point where I actually can aim !!

Bruce T
If you can shoot just one arrow in control,you can shoot all of them in control !
  Jim Casto Jr.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aiming
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 07:04:50 PM »
Seems like you're on the right track.  I agree that Jim Casto’s program is great.  Do you aim instinctively or by using some reference point?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BruceT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 07:27:55 PM »
   Switch back and forth , from split vision to just trying to concentrate on the spot . Depends if things aren’t working ?? Maybe split most of the time .
If you can shoot just one arrow in control,you can shoot all of them in control !
  Jim Casto Jr.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 11:54:09 PM »
Because the procsss of aiming is different depending on whether you aim instinctively or split vision. Joel Turner accurately describes the aiming process for gap or split vision: “Draw back and aim, get it done, watch it to keep it.”  Fred Asbell accurately described the aiming process for instinctive aiming: “Burn a hole in the target.”  Couldn't be more different.  Decide which one you want and stick with it.  Trying to mix the two could lead to schizophrenia 😁
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 01:05:38 PM »
It sounds to me you are on a good path.  I know I shoot better knowing how to shoot both instinctive and split vision.  With SV, and focusing on elements of form, leaving the aim to the subconscious I personally shoot better over time, as in all day at a 3D event.

This season I’m working most on the “mental” part of shooting.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 03:39:04 PM »
People tend to overthink or overcomplicate what instinctive shooting is and how it works, but if done correctly (or maybe more appropriately stated, if done 'instinctively') you really aren't aiming the arrow, you are pointing it.  The how part is sort of like splitting firewood.  If you're trying to aim your axe then you're doing it wrong, lol.

Online Michpatriot

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 02:42:10 PM »
Well I can sympathize with the garage shooting! Last winter and early spring I clocked about 10,000 shots with a single arrow in my 1 car garage..and I hope what I tell you don't do any harm..for me inside the tight confines of the garage I found a very unconventional floating release to give me the (in the last hole accuracy) that I couldn't seem to achieve with a cheek anchor. I just drew to a floating point out in space about an inch off of my cheek and only then could achieve the close range pinpoint grin with regularity! I attribute this to the arrow climbing to my intended point out to the apex of the arrows flight when at further distances..inside the garage I struggled greatly to get what I wanted with a conventional anchor..over the past year I've run quite the gauntlet of angst over many aspects of the struggle. I tried split finger off and on but now exclusivly shoot 3under with a thick Cordovan tab..and really have found my stride with canting the bow.. I also have a weird way of getting left and right correction on the target...I may get reprimanded for this now..but if I am getting left hits..I add twist..and if I'm getting right hits..I take out twist..maybe only 1\2 twist at a time..and cold weather= Less twist and warm = more..I really don't accept poor arrow flight..and when I get the perfect flight..accuracy follows? Do not be afraid to twist or untwist..A lot. And another thing I will say is this..being able to screw your nock points up and down the string is absolutely key to getting clean shelf clearance. I need the arrow to have a nock point above AND below it..or I get random suprise arrow hops. Take what you will..and leave what you don't find to work for you..we are all individual and have varying needs for sure..don't be afraid to experiment.
Joel

Offline BruceT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:07:09 AM »
   Great info Joel ! I’m gonna give the cant a try for sure . Thanks !
Another week of cold , and then it will be outside for me .
  Jim Casto Jr.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 09:24:07 AM »
I've described it here many times, I aim before I even draw the bow.  I bring the equipment to my line of sight and in a flash the arrow is gone.

As far as cant, there's no telling how many cant angles I killed animals with, including reverse cant, and the pretzel shot as described by a hunter on a pheasant hunt.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©