3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow build advice  (Read 914 times)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow build advice
« on: February 06, 2023, 11:08:07 AM »
Only got around 6+ inches of penatration with a 455grn arrow that was bare shafted, with a sharp magnus from my 46lb  toelke whip. The shot looked really good it was 22 yards away Arrow stuck fast possibly a little high behind the shoulder, I did find some bone on the Broadhead which I recovered 450 yards away.Very sparse blood so now I'm second guessing this build. This is my first year with carbons I love the way they fly but I need a little bit more assurance.
Arrow spec.
455grn arrow
9.9gpi
20%foc
185 fps
34.6 f-lbs
I have four dozen Easton axis 500s to work with these l can cut  down between 29-28" which leaves me two more builds. One with 225 up front for a total of 477 arrow weight. And the other is 250 up front for a total 495grn Arrow.
New build spec.

477grn arrow.         496 grn arrow
 10.1gpi                    10.7 gpi   
20.1 foc.                    23.1 foc.
183 fps.                      179.1fps.
 34.7 f-lbs.                  35.5 f-lbs.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Re: Arrow build advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 11:38:42 AM »
Shot thru a nice buck last year with a 40 lb. bow   Easton Axis 500  29 1/2"  580 gr.  100 gr. brass insert 200 gr. Grizzly 160 fps. 24.5 foc. 31.7 f-lbs. 60 yard recovery. I think you might a hit a bone.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 10:18:57 AM by SS Snuffer »
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 12:01:57 PM »
It's not arrow weight that 's the problem, it's arrow placement.  Bone on the broadhead means you did hit bone. Given the high hit, likely the off side shoulder.  That will stop most arrows, particularly from a fairly light bow.  30-40 grains more arrow weight wouldn't have made any difference. 

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 12:50:24 PM »
Orion is correct. 20 grains isn't going to make much difference on a bone hit with an arrow that light, especially out of a bow at 46#. Another 150 - 200 grains (if you can shoot well with the new trajectory) on a well tuned arrow out of 46# would make a difference when coming in contact with bone. Arrow placement can't always be controlled when animals start moving while the arrow is on the way. I've shattered the humerus bone on impact at 17 yards and busted through the scapula on the far side of a whitetail using 42# and 47# bows. Both animals went down quickly.
Regular PBS Member

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 03:08:36 PM »
Thanks guy's, I think I'll start to limit my shots to under 15yards now that I'm Shooting lighter weight bows also. And adding 50 more grains up front can't hurt either.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 08:31:43 PM »
That is never a good feeling but it happens brother. I have to agree that you high hit the offside shoulder bone and that more weight would not have increased lethality. A single bevel hair popping sharp may have given you an exit wound that would have allowed more blood and further tracking maybe not but if so, likely to the same end.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 11:03:41 PM »
It's not arrow weight that 's the problem, it's arrow placement.  Bone on the broadhead means you did hit bone. Given the high hit, likely the off side shoulder.  That will stop most arrows, particularly from a fairly light bow.  30-40 grains more arrow weight wouldn't have made any difference.

2X
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Mr Rover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 10:06:23 AM »
Like others have said it's all about shot placement but I can tell you this in the past my heavy 670ish grain arrow has saved my hide on animals that I've made shoulder hits on.
 I wish I had the photo of the hog I hit in the shield. The arrow was buried 6" from the fletching on a 127# hog. I'm not sure a lighter  faster arrow would have had the same outcome.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©