3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 Fletch Arrows  (Read 2600 times)

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
4 Fletch Arrows
« on: February 07, 2023, 02:27:43 PM »
Who shoots them and what degree do you have them set to. What fletcher do you use . Thank you

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 Fletch Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 02:56:58 PM »
That's all I shoot. The ones in the pic are 3.5 inch most of the time I shoot 4 inch but have used 5 inch.

I use a Bitz and don't know the angle just move the clamp until i get the best seating.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:02:05 PM »
Shot this group yesterday with these 4 fletch,getting ready for a hunt on the 19th.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 05:36:15 PM »
Four 4".  Bitz.  Pretty much straight.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 06:26:34 PM »
60x120 is what I used. Used my straight clamps , no offset.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »
Who shoots them and what degree do you have them set to. What fletcher do you use . Thank you

Ok, new guy has gotta ask: what is advantage/disadvantage with 4 fletch as opposed to 3? I like the looks, but is that all there is? Of course, if they were to guarantee I shoot a group in a can as tight as those above, I’m sticking another on,  :biglaugh:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 07:38:05 PM »
Over the years, turkeys are being processed at younger and younger ages such that the primaries are now too short to get two 5-inches fletches out of one feather.  That's why I switched to 4-fletch. I can still get get two 4-inch fletches out of one feather.  A bit more economical, and the surface area of 4 4-inch four fletch is about the same (a tad more) than 3 5-inch fletches. Of course one could go with 4-inch three fletch for even more economy.  Probably wouldn't notice any difference in arrow guidance.  Arrow would be a tad faster than 3 5-inch fletch as well.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 07:47:27 PM »
4x4" parabolics at 90 degrees. Straight clamp slight offset. Super stable and quiet. No nock orientation worries. Blitz fletcher.
shoot straight shoot often

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 08:05:56 PM »
The only difference I found was in hunting you don't have to look down when you knock an arrow. They/some claim it straightens the arrow quicker which I found for me it didn't matter so I shoot 3 fletch.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
I shot the buck in my avatar picture using an arrow that was fletched with 4, 4" shield cut feathers.

I believe Roger Rothhaar used 4 fletch arrows and he killed more giant whitetails than just about anyone that ever lived.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 01:01:06 AM »
You can shoot shorter feathers/ vanes with 4 fletch and you get more steering.  The real advantage to going to 4 fletch and the shorter vanes is less cross wind drift. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 08:28:22 AM »
Tried 2, 3 and 4 fletch - they all work with 4 fletch and 2.5 inch feathers seeming to be faster and quieter. No nock orientation and dare I say broadhead orientation issues - even less if using a 3 blade bh.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 12:22:21 PM »
#1 Nocking with less attention and faster.

#2 Quicker stabilization.

#3 Even though I can take my *Magic T* with me to many various positions, it can be a contribution to those shots I have to manufacture during the chase.

#4 I use florescent chartreuse fletching,  so the extra feather makes them more visible in route and at impact for a more accurate perception of shot placement.

Wind drift is a none issue for me as I just adjust for that like a sniper and pick my spot accordingly. That happens very rarely.

I don't worry about any minute amount of speed loss as I've never lost an animal due to an extra feather.  On the other hand, an extra feather has probably contributed at one time or another. Also, if an extra feather had cost me an animal, or caused me pause or worry about speed,  I need a better bow, not one less feather.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Squirrel Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 02:16:10 AM »
Some of the posts are based on four fletch having more total feather area. If they both have the same total feather area, four fletch and three fletch have the same drag. Four fletch has slightly, probably insignificantly, better stabilization due to more of the feather area being further back on the shaft, and 4 fletch has 18% less cross wind susceptibility That is because of the way the feathers partially block each other from the side. That’s from a simple calculation in which the arrow is rotated through 360 deg. However, when I have tested it in moderate crosswinds, I can’t really tell the difference.

More economical due to getting more short fletches from a full length feather.

An extra glue joint to worry about.

Takes longer to fletch a set of arrows.

Can’t use an AZ EZ-Fletch jig (I don’t want to, but some like them)

Poorer feather clearance, although again, I can’t tell the difference in field testing.

You can use nocks without an indicator and not care.

Offline Thierry WALICKI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 06:05:31 AM »
Shot this group yesterday with these 4 fletch,getting ready for a hunt on the 19th.

You do not use your AS bow  ...!   :archer:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 10:22:45 AM »
A member here named “Snag” used to build  beautiful arrows for me.  He recommended four 4” fletching, so I tried it. I really liked them, but sadly he had to give it up for health reasons.

They were works of art.  They flew great and it didn’t matter which way you nocked them.

They do look better painted red!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 02:46:17 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 11:20:00 AM »
I played with 4 fletch arrows years ago using 2.5” feathers on some EFOC arrows, and can’t honestly say I was feeling the love. But…. The whole  EFOC trials didn’t last too long for me. After a few 3D shoots I gave it up. Didn’t care for the long range trajectory differences, and the tail wagging arrows….. But for most guys it’s a short range hunting set up that has proven to get slightly better penetration. Some guys swear by it….

I tried the shorter 4 fletch arrows again on moderately balanced FOC arrows and they were ok…. But I still preferred the better spin I got running a low profile 3 fletch with a helical, and the cock feather maintained consistency on arrow knock rotation.

If you are  using aluminum shafts with very consistent spine tolerances you can get away with nocking your arrows 180 degrees different on a 4 fletch set up with very little noticeable difference……

But if you are using wood shafts, or economical carbon shafts, rotating those shafts on the string 180 degrees can make a huge difference how the come out of the bow. Often times certain carbon shafts are worse than woodies for spine deflection differences….  So I disagree with the thoughts about not having to worry about 4 fletch arrow nock orientation.  Just for fun… try spine testing your carbon shafts some time rotating them 90 degrees at a time…. You might be surprised at the differences.

When I tuned my 4 fletch arrows using carbon shafts I used a locator nock to keep the spine consistency towards the shelf…….   

With all that being said, I’m kind of anal about tuning arrows and spine consistency.   But……  Whatever works for you, and you have confidence in, is the best set up….      Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2023, 11:32:03 AM »
Kirk, I mark one side of my nock, shoot the new arrow twice nocked in both positions, then they go in my quiver.   I have yet to cull a single one to date. Maybe the spine Gods are looking after me.  :archer:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »
Kirk, I also need to add that the most likely reason for that is I have been using radial wrapped carbons for nearly over 2 decades.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2023, 01:54:22 PM »
Kirk, like you I also spine orient and even knock tune so the disregard knock position doesn't work. Terry what arrows are you running? Also for Terry how does one go about getting your archery information book, I believe I saw Ohio Chris mention it. Feel free to pm me if more acceptable. Thanks!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©