3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arm guard design flaw  (Read 1923 times)

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
Arm guard design flaw
« on: February 09, 2023, 12:01:25 PM »
There are many versions of arm guards with shape, size, materials and attachment systems all at the maker's whim.  However, as the proud owner of at least a 1/2 dozen or more I have come to recognize one annoying item, which is the attachment hardware.  Working with the assumption that most arm guards " these days" are made of leather and use elastic cord  I will go on from there....
I spend a lot of hours in the Fall and winter in a tree stand, and I prefer to sit.  I even shoot from a sitting position.  I have repeatedly found that the button/hook on the underside of the forearm will catch on some fold of clothing and make a small noise when one moves (and of course often at the least appropriate moment. The antler buttons which have been the most popular type for a longtime seem to be a particular culprit and bigger is NOT better. Small metal hooks seem to be better yet, but not perfect.  I do have one single guard that I got at the Baltimore Bowman shoot years ago made by a parttime crafter, that has the cord tied   directly to the underside and hooked on top with small metal hooks.  This is the best design that I have seen to eliminate the problem but is a rarity.     Just sharing 
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arm guard design flaw
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
Here is a picture to make the point.  Oops, I just discovered that I also have one of first ones from way back in the day that is what I am talking about.  No wonder that I liked it so much that it was my arm guard for all of my trips to Africa.  Easy on, easy off and comfortable ( the dark one with lighter side bars and hooks just on one side)

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 12:43:51 PM »
Nice collection!

I've noticed this also. I was shooting one with big antler buttons with no problems. I switched bows and was hanging up on it all the time.

I've got an idea to make my own. I have some soft leather and I'm going to put grommets in and lace it up and put one of those plastic spring keepers on the end of it. You will be able to pull it taught and run that spring down and hold it. It should be totally snag free.

Good discussion.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 01:38:17 PM »
I use an armguard every time I shoot, not to protect my arm from string slap but to keep my sleeve from getting in the way. I've never noticed the problems you mentioned and the 2 armguards I use, one has brass hooks and elastic cord the other antler buttons and elastic cord..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 01:52:39 PM »
Make my own with leather tied to bottom and antler buttons on top...no issues other than keeping track of it

Online Honest Jon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
I’m kind of simple ol’ geezer and I just cut a piece of cowhide, shape it a bit, experiment with some leather stamping for looks, and tie in some elastic. Easy on, easy off, no noise and cheap.  I’ve had this one going on four years and maybe replaced the elastic once. And, you can adjust for more or less clothing by retying the knots in the elastic.

Honest Jon
I will study and prepare myself and someday my chance will come-A Lincoln

Online Honest Jon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 02:02:44 PM »
Try this.
Jon
I will study and prepare myself and someday my chance will come-A Lincoln

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 03:09:25 PM »
Arm guards are cool.... They add a bit of decoration to your otherwise drab looking shirt sleeve, and they serve a purpose.....  I never use one on a bare arm or tight sleeve shirt, but it's winter time with heavier clothing that they are necessary to keep your coat sleeves or cammo sweat shirts out of the way.

The best arm guard solution i've come across is cutting the toe out of a knee high set of nylon stockings. Actually the heavier support hose , or tights are better yet. You can buy them in black or dark brown too.

Or if you are brave enough, you can raid your wives stocking drawer. :o :o :o   I've been using them for many years, and they work excellent. They hold your coat snug to the forearm, and if the string grazes it, it makes no noise.....   Laugh if you want, but give it a try sometime. You'll be amazed how well this works. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
I make mine almost like a gauntlet, and use buttons with bungie hair holders made by Goodies.
This design keeps my coat sleeve out of the way and with the buttons closer together, they dont snag on anything.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
Very nice, Dale.

:thumbsup:

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 08:12:27 PM »
A stick bow shooter without an arm guard is like Robin Hood without his feathered cap.  :biglaugh:

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 08:22:12 PM »
I make one where the shape and hooks are out of the way. I’ll have to take a pic. They’re made for right or left hand shooters can’t be switched. I guess this is unfinished but the hooks go on the high side out of the way.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:32:30 PM by Overspined »

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 09:56:36 PM »
Man that floral carved guard from Scott Teschner is something else.  I regret not getting one when he was still making them.  His work with them is some of the classiest I've ever seen.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »
Not having shot that long, -1 yr, I have never had the need arise to have to use one. I shoot recurves, 66” down to 56”, 8 bows total, and have only just grazed my arm a few times. Seems it happened worse on a long bow with no real riser thickness, limbs just slightly thinner than grip area. Not a comfortable bow to shoot, lots of hand shock, so I gave up on long bows then, now want another. If the need arises I think the elastic type straps that can be pulled on and over either bare arm or clothing would be best. Probably will be asking more though as the times come.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 12:29:49 PM »
Not having shot that long, -1 yr, I have never had the need arise to have to use one. I shoot recurves, 66” down to 56”, 8 bows total, and have only just grazed my arm a few times. Seems it happened worse on a long bow with no real riser thickness, limbs just slightly thinner than grip area. Not a comfortable bow to shoot, lots of hand shock, so I gave up on long bows then, now want another. If the need arises I think the elastic type straps that can be pulled on and over either bare arm or clothing would be best. Probably will be asking more though as the times come.

I find them most useful in winter just to hold back the bulk of a coat or jacket sleeve, especially when hunting where my form/body position is rarely ideal and when you often only have one shot to make it happen. To go out in the back yard and enjoy some time with a stick and string, I pretty much just grab my bow, 2-3 arrows, and shooting glove. I often don’t even bring my quiver.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »
just for fun

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 03:10:23 PM »
Beautiful leather craftsmenship everyone !

Matt..I'm really liking that Wolf bracer/arm guard ;)

Very Nice !

I 'm one that used to always wear one, but like mentioned above ...In warm weather with short sleeves or tight early season jacket I've seen no need for me to use one.  Sometimes a thicker one actually increases the chance for contact/noise due to it.   

Not advising never wearing one.  The ladies almost all  have  to  due to how most of them have arms that bow the wrong way extended ;)  , and many Men and women have a shooting form/body build that also mandates the usage
of one ......So everyones milage will vary in that reguard ......
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 03:21:55 PM »
I really like Matt's arm guard too...
Well done. :thumbsup:

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 09:03:43 AM »
Thanks I mess around with leather work, it’s enjoyable. I’ve just found that some shapes don’t feel right or don’t hold clothing back enough or won’t stay put. So I came up with a shape that just works. I like lacing over bungees for hunting because it’s so easy to adjust. Messed with all of it. I only wear arm guards when hunting. Typically not practicing. Practice guards I make thinner and use bungee usually.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©