3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbows vs recurves for hunting  (Read 3594 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbows vs recurves for hunting
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 07:47:56 PM »
I’ve used both, but hunted mostly with recurves earlier in my life. I have gravitated more to R/D lately. Just seem to like the draw cycle (or lower brace height) better on longbows.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 07:57:36 PM »
Like others here, I go back and forth. A little range time and I can shoot either well enough. With that in mind, I don't shoot past 25yds.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 10:19:59 PM »
I started out with a recurve but later moved to longbows.  That was back in the 80's.
Sam

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 11:58:39 AM »
I think of all the replies Terry nailed it…. There really is no RC vs Longbow.

There are many different types of bows and different lengths available out there to look at and possibly try if you can.

I’d like to offer another option to look into. I came up with a limb design I call a Hybrid long bow that has been very popular over the years. This unique limb design has a very smooth draw cycle much like the recurve limbs do, and delivers very nice performance. It can be built from 58” to 62” lengths and accommodate even the longest draw lengths out there. I have many of these in 60” lengths that are being drawn to 32”-33” that have been going strong after many years.

The grip shape can be done at any wrist angle you desire too…. Please give this one a look. This is the Sasquatch Hybrid.

The last link has a riser shape with a low wrist grip, and has both RC limbs and the hybrid long bow limbs….

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSje89n6bQGaJTbE7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fsyti1qR41SFbVNj6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/af496SGEZNL6tJTs6

Here is one more album of the “Bare Foot” riser with hybrid limbs. I build a lot of these for the TD Bear fans out there….

https://photos.app.goo.gl/scEiShF9j2gmqR139

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mr Rover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2023, 12:32:58 PM »
I thoroughly enjoy my recurve, anytime I shoot one of my buddies longbow I wind up with a big ole welt on my arm. My ole girl hasn't bit once me in over 20 years.
 I don't know if this is still the case today but I also feel like a recurve spits an arrow much faster, not that I'm relatively worried about speed shooting a 679gr arrow.
   In the end though you need to pick the tool that you are comfortable with and shoot extremely well. Just my 2 pennies

Offline Eecho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2023, 06:21:54 PM »
Shoot them both, but there’s something about longbows that I’m levitating towards more and more these days.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2023, 06:52:55 PM »
I've hunted with both for the last 35 years. To me, longbows have many advantages, recurves have none. Hybrid longbows probably suit me best for a hunting bow.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2023, 07:00:07 PM »
Guys n Gals, when you click onto Kirks links, give it a few seconds to clear up the pics.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2023, 09:46:15 PM »
Fred Asbell wrote about the differences, and the most obvious was the grip and switching back and forth for some could be a challenge. I believe it was in his first book, where he devoted more time to the differences.
The American Semi-Longbow that is under 6 ft. and different from the English Longbow over 6 ft in limb design and length. The reflex-deflex longbow and hybrids are shorter under 5'6" and generally faster than the first two. Although, there were exceptions recorded in Dan's two books, below.
Dan Bertalan wrote in "Traditional Bowyers of America" in 1989 and in his updated "Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia" in 2007 about the bows of different bowyers of the time. I recall that Dick Robinson's Mystical (R&D) was as fast his two recurves the Peregrine, and Falcon T/D.

The difference between my Bear T/D, and ASL, reflex-deflex and hybids was the height of the arrow shelf above the hand. I prefer a low rest, and ended up lowering the shelf so the arrow is not above the hand and index finger. It is easer to shoot, and is like pointing a finger at the intended target. The other objections IMO is the added weight of a recurve with bow quiver (5 lbs +/- vs 1.2
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Malvaini

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 10:02:01 AM »
Nice Hud.  :campfire:

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 10:12:19 AM »
I prefer a longbow. For me, a longbow is more accurate and easier to shoot.  :saywhat:  I'm sure others will disagree.
This ........  and I'm not a disagreer.   I own both,  have shot recurves plenty,  learned to shoot on them.   All being said, there is just something about the long bow for me that makes it my go to %100 of the time and it ain't worth trying to explain at this point I suppose ...... those who know, know.  And so many feel the same about the recurve.....and it's all good  :thumbsup:
Makes for a good back and forth though and it's cool to see what folks think and why.  One thing I know for sure is when I'm planning on shootin' something with an arrow and I grab one of my long bows,  I never stop to think and wish or wonder how a recurve would feel in its place. :archer2:

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »
Bow choice, whether it be recurve vs longbow, or brand x vs brand y is a "feel" thing for me. I shot longbows for several years. A Widow LAG was my go-to bow for years, then a MOAB and finally a Widow PL. Picked up an older Widow TF recurve with a low wrist grip and it just "felt" right. Purchased a new Widow PTF with a low wrist grip and it has become my favorite bow of all time.
Most all of the quality recurve bows are extremely rugged and can stand up to the rigors of hunting. The R/D longbows perform on par with the recurves and are most likely less susceptible to limb twist or severe damage from a drop from a treestand or a fall on the rocks.
Main advantage to me of a longbow over for me is that I can get a longbow a bit quieter than a recurve, but with a good set of wool silencers and a bit of tinkering and tuning, I can get a recurve pretty quiet.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »
Good stuff Mike, one advantage of a longbow most don't know....

Would you toss your recurve out of your treestand?  :goldtooth:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I really appreciate your input.  :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 01:10:15 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents, first off most recurves have a higher grip than a longbow and that can cause you to get too much heal pressure on the grip causing you to shoot high.
And here's something interesting that I learned years ago, you can shoot a recurve like a longbow but you can't shoot a longbow like a recurve.
Meaning, a longbow shoots better with your bow arm slightly bent and the bow canted over.
A recurve can be shot vertically and a more inline body stance toward the target ( Olympic target shooting  ) but that doesn't work well for hunting.
So bottom line, for hunting, do what you like the most.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 05:13:08 PM by Pine »
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2023, 01:16:11 PM »
Good stuff Pine!  :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 09:25:06 AM »
I have both but switched to a RD longbow about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. As mentioned above it all boils down to preference, terrain, treestand or ground, etc.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2023, 11:43:02 AM »
People have said it's hard to switch from a recurve to a longbow because of the grip but I switch back and forth all the time. To me it's kind of a day to day decision on which bow to use, my first deer this year was with one of my Bear T/D's, the second and third were with my Toelke Whip. The bows pull basically the same 53#. In 1977 I shot my first deer with a Joh Schutz longbow which was a mule deer doe in No.Dak., my second in MN, a whitetail doe with PSE Compound and my third , a whitetail doe with my Bear T/D. I do shoot a couple judos every time I go into hunt for practice.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2023, 01:51:37 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents, first off most recurves have a higher grip than a longbow and that can cause you to get too much heal pressure on the grip causing you to shoot high.
And here's something interesting that I learned years ago, you can shoot a recurve like a longbow but you can't shoot a longbow like a recurve.
Meaning, a longbow shoots better with your bow arm slightly bent and the bow canted over.
A recurve can be shot vertically and a more inline body stance toward the target ( Olympic target shooting  ) but that doesn't work well for hunting.
So bottom line, for hunting, do what you like the most.

Oh boy.... I could sure debate the generalities part of your post here .... But..... I wont. 

All long bows and recurves are not created equally..... Grip shape, and grip angle, shelf height, and how far to, or past center cut the riser is, are all determining factors in how they shoot.  Where you apply the pressure on the grip and wrist rotation are other factors on whether they can be shot vertically and canted both..... I shoot my own long bows exactly like i do my recurves.....  I love em both .....

But...... like Terry said..... I don't throw my recurve out of a tree stand. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:   
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2023, 02:36:53 PM »
I don't agree that recurve aren't as good for hunting because I can disprove that. I can shoot a recurve anyway I want just like a longbow.  I've kill a bunch of stuff with a recurve and I never said 'I wish I had a longbow.  Recurves have never been any kind of hindrance in shooting or hunting.

2 things about grips, .... recurves can have custom grips, and I can shoot a bow by holding the bottom fade out.  My hand yields to the grip, so no worrying about it to me.  Now I do know what is comfortable, not too big, not to small, no palm swell, and what I like, but in the end I can shoot any grip pretty well.

:campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©