3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbows vs recurves for hunting  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbows vs recurves for hunting
« on: February 09, 2023, 01:13:04 PM »
I'd like to get your thoughts on longbows vs recurves in hunting situations.

A little background first. I hunt with longbows, always have. As a matter of fact, the only bows I've ever shot have been longbows. Never shot a recurve, I know, I know, but that's why I'm here asking these questions.

Also, I mainly hunt elk and deer in the mountains of central Idaho, from the ground - no tree stand hunting.

I know a lot of you hunt with both types of bows, and some hunt with recurves only. I've been thinking a lot about getting a new bow lately, and wondering why I don't have a recurve.

So, for those of you who use recurves or both types of bows, for hunting, what's the reasoning behind your choice?   :campfire:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbows vs recurves for hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 01:30:24 PM »
I prefer a longbow. For me, a longbow is more accurate and easier to shoot.  :saywhat:  I'm sure others will disagree.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 01:57:51 PM »
I love them both and hunt with both.  If, however, I were to select only one to hunt with, it would be a recurve.  For me, they are easier to move in tight quarters and shoot a tad faster.  And although it doesn't matter, I'll also add that I think they just look cool too!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 02:09:44 PM »
I have a number of each. When I was young I used a recurve til iI was about 20. then i had a compound for 3 years and sold it and started shooting a longbow. I will use a recurve for bowfishing, but other than that I've shot a longbow for the last 42 years. It's what I prefer. Ease of use.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 02:21:27 PM »
I love them both and hunt with both.  If, however, I were to select only one to hunt with, it would be a recurve.  For me, they are easier to move in tight quarters and shoot a tad faster.  And although it doesn't matter, I'll also add that I think they just look cool too!

If it's strictly maneuverability I can always get a short longbow i.e. Pika or Elkheart.

Is there a notable difference in performance when comparing the two styles at the same draw weight?
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Online smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 02:26:42 PM »
Not sure that it is a significant difference but in the bows I've used, it is there.  That being said, I'm sure the highly RD longbows like those you mentioned, are right up there in speed.  If you've never shot a recurve, you owe it to yourself to shoot a couple . . . can't hurt, right? 

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 02:33:48 PM »
Absolutely. I just don't have any left handed trad archer friends. And there's no big events around here like ETAR or Compton where bowyers bring lots of bows to try. Sure would like to try some.

What about string noise on the limb tips?
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Online smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 02:57:44 PM »
That's a good question.  I've owned and shot a lot of recurves and generally, a longbow will be more quiet.  I do, however, have a couple of curves that are as quiet as my longbows.  Not sure why but they are.  As for taking a bow out for a test drive, I noticed that you are in Idaho.  Have you reached out to anyone in the Idaho Traditional association?  Looks like they are fairly active: https://www.idahotraditionalbowhunters.com/  Might be worth an email to see if there is anyone in your neighborhood who has a left-handed bow to try.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 03:06:50 PM »
I'm a member of Idaho Traditional Bowhunters. Actually heading down to Nampa this weekend for the annual Trad Day meeting and banquet. Hopefully someone will have a lefty recurve to try. I'm bringing the 2 longbows I have for sale here to see if someone wants to shoot them and possibly buy them.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 03:34:26 PM »
There is no 'vs'.

Both are what you prefer and what type of terrain you will be using it in.  Consider the length based on that as well. And which design best matches your style. And which one you are most
accurate with.

Accuracy 1st, then 2nd length for terrain

Best of luck.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 03:40:39 PM »
I hunt with both. I tend to take a recurve on my Western hunts because pound for pound, they're a bit flatter shooting than my ASLs.  Thus, they extend my effective range 5 yards or so.  If your idea of a longbow is a hybrid (pistol grip, extreme r/d limbs), there there's little difference between a longbow and a recurve in terms of performance.  I've always found a longbow easier to maneuver when hunting from the ground.  Much less likely to get brush caught between the string and the limb.  They're also quite a bit lighter, so easier to carry all day.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 03:59:43 PM »
We'll get your limb tips/string slap tended to. Just email me if you need to quiet them
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Mo_coon-catcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 04:09:53 PM »
I typically hunt with a 72” English longbow down to a 56” bendy handle be. Other than that I can’t easily take a squatting shot with the 72” the lengths havnt mattered to me much. I’ve hunted with recurves some but I prefer my longbows for 2 reasons. When walking around I get a lot more branches and weeds pinching under the string. The second, building a recurve from a stave can be a royal PITA so I typically stick to longbows.

Kyle

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 04:37:19 PM »
I have both and shoot and hunt with both.

But like a longbow better.

Just a personal preference.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 04:38:20 PM »
I prefer a longbow but I shoot and hunt with both.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 06:08:54 PM »
I like to shoot and hunt with both, the interesting thing is my recurves are longer than my longbows, go figure.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
I think the thing that got me thinking about it in the first place is that I have found myself in situations where I felt like I needed a shorter bow. Currently I have 3 r/d longbows at 3 different lengths, 66" 64" & 62".
I found that I could get a  longbow in the 52 to 56" range which would be perfect in certain situations. And then I thought, well that's recurve lengths, maybe there's a reason I'm missing as to why so many people hunt with them.

Ultimately I think that with today's r/d short longbows there's less of a difference between the two.

I've never been drawn to the heavy deeply sculpted risers on a lot of the recurves I've seen. I like the more slender risers of longbows along with a less extreme grip. My favorite grips are the Black Widow PL standard and the the Toelke classic. Both the BW PSR and the Chinook have the same grip as the PL and the Pika.

If there's not a notable performance difference I'll most likely stick with a longbow, even if it is short. Though given the chance I would like to shoot a recurve just to see what it feels like.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 06:43:10 PM »
I use both.  Prefer Reflex/Deflex longbows for most hunting as I just find them to be quieter, however I like short recurves for hunting from ground blinds.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 07:12:19 PM »
  give black widow a call for a test bow     :archer2:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »
I've owned and shot both types of bows but I prefer recurves.   They offer more variances in design, riser shape, grip style, overall length and they are generally faster than longbows and with a little effort they can be as quiet as any longbow.   For instance, I own a DH High Speed that I simply cannot hear when I drop the string.

I have never been a big fan of very long bows and I enjoy shorter longbows, i.e. < 62".   I would love to try one of Great Northern's 58" Lil' Creeps or one of Mike Dunnaway's Wild Horse Creek Destiny LBs at 58".   I can get away with shooting shorter bows because my draw length is 26.5" and I may ask Mike to create one for me.   Soon as he's completed the Wisp (like the Mariah, a recurve with a longbow style grip) that I ordered recently. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©