3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flaming feathers, help!  (Read 229 times)

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
Flaming feathers, help!
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Well I burnt my first feathers last night and things didn't go exactly as planned. I bent my ribbon to the pattern that came with the Young feather burner, about 5 1/4" shield. I fletched them with all the right helical I could get out of my Bitzenberger and still stay on the shaft. I plugged in the burner and burnt away. The first two came out beautifully the third one caught on fire at the back corner. I scraped it off put a new one on and the same thing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Flaming feathers, help!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
May be turning the arrow too slowly.  Or the wire may be getting a little too hot.  I believe Young feather burners came with a small piece of rectangular shaped metal about 2 inches long.  Putting that in the slot alongside the ribbon apparently drains off some of the heat going through the wire.  If you don't have it, I would think a piece of nail or some other small piece of steel that fits in the slot would work.  Good luck.

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
what orion said and maybe your turning your shaft too slowly. I've never had the fletch on the shaft catch but I have had the peices stuck to the ribbon catch.

Another helpful hint

Get some of that low tac painters tape and wrapo some around your shafts in front of and behind the feathers when burning. It will protect the shaft from possible heat damage.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I bet your place smells good lol.

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Back your ribbon away from the shaft/feather where it is catching. The ribbon should not touch the arrow or the feather base.
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
It is probably the finish catching fire and not the a feather.  If the ribbon hits the finish it will burst into flames.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the info! I read the instructions again about the ribbon support they said to remove it to reduce ribbon heat. It could also be the glue I suppose, I'm using Duco. I will recheck the ribbon but I don't think it's touching anything it shouldn't be. I figured there would be some sort of learning curve, mine are usually pretty steep! I will check your suggestions and try again.

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Bob,
You could also use a "Reostat" which is an electrical device that regulates the amount of current flowing to your feather burner.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
You could also use a "Reostat" which is an electrical device that regulates the amount of current flowing to your feather burner.

Great tip!

Thanks,
Bob
Bob

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Some fletching cement and/or finishes will catch fire if the ribbon hits it. Keep the wire no closer to the shaft than the thickness of the quill. I always play it safe when installing a new ribbon and purposely burn the first couple of arrows with the wire out a little more than it needs to be. Then I adjust it a little at a time until I get it just right.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©