3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are your favorite pieces of hunting clothing?  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
What are your favorite pieces of hunting clothing?
« on: February 12, 2023, 04:58:09 PM »
I thought this would be an interesting topic, though I can maybe guess at what a few answers will be :P

What are your favorite pieces of clothing you've ever bought for hunting and why?

I'll start, I have a few. In order:

1. Aclima Woolnet Baselayers - YMMV but these have been a game changer for me. I no longer have to worry about getting sweated up on my way to a stand or blind, or worry about having to change clothes when I get there. Superior warmth, comfort, and drying properties IMO. The only baselayers I wear anymore, I get use out of them from the 60s down to the -20s.

2. Appalachian Gear Company All-Paca Hoodie - Light, warm, breathable, naturally silent and odor resistant. I love this thing and use it whenever I can, 50s down to -20s, outer layer or midlayer, stand or spot and stalk.

3. Dachstein Boiled wool sweater - Make no mistake, it's heavy, its not packable, and it certainly isn't cheap. That said I absolutely love this thing for stand hunting in late season. It's a heater, it's surprisingly good at blocking the wind and snow, and despite it's warmth it breathes exceptionally well. This sweater offers great flexibility, and is as quiet as any outer shell I've ever used, EVER. The collar is great, rising up tocover your neck in comfort and warmth. Another benefit is you can buy the Mil-Tec knock off for a third of the price and get 95% of the functionality.

4. Stone Glacier Grumman Down Vest - This thing packs down nicely, weighs pretty much nothing, and is sleek enough to wear under your shell without looking like the Michelin Man. Very happy with the amount of warmth it provides and it helps break the wind as well if you like to wear a wool layer over it like me.

5. Asbell Pathfinder + Mackinaw Cape - When it isn't cold enough for the Dachstein it's Asbell time. The Timber Ghost is the best camo I own, hands down. If you don't have a cape for your pathfinder or jacket, get one, you won't regret it. I have two capes, one hunter orange for rifle season and one Timber Ghost to match my pathfinder. I find myself wearing the cape over not just the pathfinder, but a lot of other stuff I wear as well. What's not to love? It's quiet, blends in with a wide variety of environments, breathes, and gives me the range of motion I need.

Honorable mentions - Woolpower 400 Ulfrotte vest, Swazi Cairnsman hooded sweater, Grey Wolf Woolens Boot Blankets.

Offline charlie chocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are your favorite pieces of hunting clothing?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 06:59:08 PM »
With my last name being Jones, as a kid I always thought it was cool that my dad hunted with a Jones-style hat. Well, Dad died in March 2011 and I just recently found one of his hats. He had two and the one I knew of was too small for my "grape." However the one I just found a month or so ago, while kinda tight, is something I can work with.

So this Jones-style hat worn by the late Bill Jones will be my favorite piece of hunting clothes!
Christian Bowhunter's of America -  Life Member
Maryland Traditional Bowhunters
Cumberland Bowhunters
NRA - Life Member

Offline Rollie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 07:07:22 PM »
My Favorite piece would be my ASAT Leafy suit for sure. It goes over my shorts and T-shirt early season, and over heavier clothing later in the season.
i-am-n

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 07:29:23 PM »
Dammit-why did I click on this?!  Just when I think I have the clothing piece covered, Elsecaller’s list has me shopping for things I didn’t even know I needed!  :goldtooth:  My favorite piece is probably a merino base layer top.  In all but the hottest temperatures, they just work well for me.  I’m definitely going to check out eh Alcima woolnet…

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 08:13:25 PM »
Asbell wool and Schnees pac boots,because they work
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 10:36:03 PM »
1.  KOM Bushman shirt..  Only shirt I bow hunt in until it gets cold..  blends in well, quiet, tough and most importantly, it protects my chest when climbing my tree.  I don't use a climbing aide, I hug the tree and pull myself up.... 

Sorry Gents...  I misread and thought it meant all types of gear, not just clothes..  I deleted the unneeded parts...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:18:15 PM by greg fields »

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 10:46:11 PM »
Winona (Bob Fratzke) synthetic fleece lined belt pocket to keep my string hand in until needed without needing to wear a glove on that hand.

Wool fingerless mittens (my wife made from our sheep's wool).

Terramar long underwear, beanie and glove-liners.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:47:54 PM »
With my last name being Jones, as a kid I always thought it was cool that my dad hunted with a Jones-style hat. Well, Dad died in March 2011 and I just recently found one of his hats. He had two and the one I knew of was too small for my "grape." However the one I just found a month or so ago, while kinda tight, is something I can work with.

So this Jones-style hat worn by the late Bill Jones will be my favorite piece of hunting clothes!

That's an awesome story. I have a similar story, kind of. My grandfather passed away in 2017 and we were really close. He had an old Stetson he always wore that always reminded me of him. Needless to say when he passed I wanted it, but my melon is way too big. It wouldn't even fit at all, much less comfortably because I have a freakish big head. I finally pulled the trigger on buying one that looked like his in a bigger size. I love it, though I don't often wear it hunting because it gets knocked off when I'm walking through thick branches.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 11:18:58 PM »
I’m a big fan of the old predator camo in the green pattern made from saddle cloth. I have 3 full sets I’ve used for many, many years.

Another favorite is my ghillie suit.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 11:23:37 PM »
Sitka Fanatic coat and bibs. Yes I know they are rediculously expensive, but they work so well to keep me warm while sitting on a cold stand in MN/ND winters.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 11:35:37 PM »
BDU pants, couldn't live without them.

Would hate not to have a pair of Muck Wetlands snake boots as well.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 11:55:32 PM »
Sitka Fanatic coat and bibs. Yes I know they are rediculously expensive, but they work so well to keep me warm while sitting on a cold stand in MN/ND winters.

No judgement here. If you added up all my wool and down it would cost just as much as those Fanatic Bibs/Coat.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 07:11:59 AM »
Love the cold late season so my Heater Body Suit is my favorite.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 07:54:59 AM »
When it's cold enough Filson camo wool jacket, it just works.

Another vote for BDU pants, they last.

LL Bean Maine hunting boots.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 08:01:38 AM »
I recently lost enough weight to get back into my favorite Woolrich bibs. Comfortable, tough, and quiet. My early season favorite is a green cotton “commando sweater.” Takes the early and late chill off, but not too hot. Had to find a new one a few years ago, after a bear stole the one I wore for years. I bow killed a nice Saskatchewan color phase red bear and had to walk out to get help to get him back to camp. I didn’t want another bear messing up the beautiful fur, so I took off my sweater and draped it over him. When I returned the sweater was gone! I guess a bear needed it more than I did.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »
One of my favorites is a Woolrich wool jacket. It’s a great camo pattern , the right thickness for most of our SC hunting weather. I also picked it up at a flea market for I think $7.00 .  But it was summer time and not many folks were in the market for winter coats.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:53 AM »
I'm pretty much a fair-weather hunter anymore. I dont mind chilly and breezey but if I need heavy clothing for bow-hunting, I'm probably not going. That said, I've gotten a fair collection of things like cotton/nylon sweatpants in grey and camo, insulated hooded sweatshirts in grey and camo, different hats from boonie hats to knitted, rag-wool gloves and fleece neck gaitors. Light weight stuff, inexpensive and easy to get. I like the grey for hunting in harwoods, the camo for hunting in brush and grass and for turkey. I also like the medium height Bean boots too. Pretty cheap and simple.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 10:36:32 AM »
It’s hard to figure which is my favorite, but I’ve been wearing this Cabelas Windstopper pull over wool sweater for about 20/25 years now and I wear it on ever hunt. It’s traveled to Alaska, Georgia, Quebec, New Brunswick, Maine, Saskatchewan, Montana, Wyoming, Texas and a few others. It’s even gone with me to Florida!! I think that this is the earliest picture I have of it from about 2005 or so
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 10:50:02 AM »
I have a gray wolf predator wool vest that I don't go anywhere without . I also like my King of the mountain wool Jacket and shirt . Pants I go through so many but just plain cotton predator pants work the best for me . I have worn a LL Bean wool sweater for about 25 years and I think it is going to out last me .

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2023, 11:40:31 AM »
My Boonie hat and First Lite Obsidian pants green and Kuiu light weight Merino wool glove and light weight hoodie both in Mossy Oak Bottom land camo and Kuiu Verde camo.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©