3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lessons learned from the past hunting season  (Read 833 times)

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Lessons learned from the past hunting season
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:08:07 PM »
Most of the hunting seasons are over for the year.  I ve been posting this question the last few years so others might be able to learn something new.

So what lessons did you learn and how will it change your approach for next year?

Mine:
- Don’t find out you have cancer the week before deer season starts.  It eats into your hunting time.
- Have several public land parcels scouted prior to season.  My main location was hit hard by EHD.  According to the DNR my township was the hardest hit in the state.  Having other locations to go was important.
- Have friends that you text and bounce ideas off of.  A fresh set of eyes is always a good thing to have ( Thanks Basinboy)
- Enjoy the time you have to hunt because you could be forced to set in the recliner through most of season.

Offline Tom0728

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lessons learned from the past hunting season
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »
I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis. Keep fighting. My mother in law was diagnosed a couple weeks before christmas. Praying for ya

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 01:34:25 PM »
I also learned that a leafy suit is a great thing in early season.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »
Not a lesson from this year but from many years past. Stop worrying so much about the wind, it always changes anyway ( every 30 seconds here it would seem) and hunt that hot sign you just found. To me this means never slack on your scent control. Prayers for you and beating it buddy.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 10:30:56 PM »
I learned that I'm getting old. Over the last couple of seasons, I have had a couple of surgeries and have had both blood pressure and arthritis issues. Heat and cold both bother me greatly. Lastly, I'm just not as strong as I need to be to shoot some of my favorite bows. Last season I only did 5 hunts.
Sam

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 08:48:13 AM »
I learned that you can control Target Panic! It was eating me up to the point of almost giving up  :pray: but I fought through it and had my best season yet!
Prayers for you ESP!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »
I learned the value of having a hunting journal.  Around here the weather got little weird this October and Deer was not around.  After consulting my Journal realized that it happened like 15 years ago, and adjusted strategy to it and "Bam" meat on ground.  Keep a journal, always nice when older go back for memories and friends who are no longer with me.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 12:59:13 PM »
Thought provoking thread, so here it goes.

1. Keep your hands away from the log splitter and if you don't, make sure that at least you protect the hand that pulls the string.
2. When it comes to how cold you will feel and how warmly to dress: more is better.
3. The wind changes everything:  it makes any temperature much colder and requires more insulation. Too much wind means just stay out of the woods and avoid the falling timber, and then there are the deer's noses.
4. Some consistent wind is better than no breeze.
5. At the beginning of every season, you are going to remake silly mistakes that you know better not to make.  It takes a little time to get back "in the groove".
6. The little things can make a big difference. A neck gaiter is worth its weight in gold, and don't cheap out on using those disposable heater packs. Why shiver just to save a dollar or two?  Besides, if you stick them in a zip lock baggy and get the air out  more often than not will reheat for the next hunt.
7.  You really don't need to kill everything that you see. Relax.  Learn from just being there.
8. Heavy boots and insulated boots have a larger "footprint" and make it a little less safe on tree steps and ladders ( my opinion). A regular boot seems to be safer and a pair of boot blankets and a heater pack on top of the foot works best anyway.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline rufus_d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 01:05:52 PM »
If you are considering going west to hunt elk and/or muleys. Don't wait, they just changed the draw system again and our over the counter area is now not available. If you can, do it sooner, not later.

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
ESP,sorry to hear about the cancer...i know it really suck because i have been there and right before a hunting season...this july will be my last check up for tonsil cancer..or referred as head and neck cancer...keeping fingers crossed...the one thing i learned inthe past is that if you have a dream just do it...it dont matter how big or how just get it done...you dont know how long any of us will be here...ESP just get inthere and get it done...i know you will be pissing your brains out with the treat meant and felling sick BUT hopefully there will be an end...praying for your journey...john

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©