3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt along! Warning: explicite photos of bait -w pics and vid THE FINALLE!!  (Read 4641 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Before I start, I would ask that I only get positive feedback from you good folks. If you don't like baiting, I ask that your opinion not be made on this thread. Thanks.

This hunt started back in March with the info that I had drawn a bear tag. I've never been able to hunt bear before so I was very excited. I started the process of getting the bait gathered. Bread and pastries to start with, with molasses on top. Lucky for me I have three boys to help me out.

My hunt started on Apr 12 and goes to the end of May. I tried to practice like I would be hunting.

I wasn't doing too bad. I'm alright from 10 yards!LOL!!

I couldn't start baiting until I got home from a CA hog hunt (i know everyone feels for me     ;)    ). Lucky for me a friend from church hunted this area last year , so I had a place to start baiting.
The first time up the canyon was walking over 2-3 foot snow drifts. We had near record snow fall and I was worried about getting to a bait site.

This is the first pic of the canyon a few days after I started.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds good so far!!!   :campfire:
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Now I had always wondered about baiting. Hearing it was easy from some and not so easy from others. Let me tell you, it is a TON of work. Hauling bait 1/2 mile up a canyon on your back falling through 2 feet of snow was a little rough for a while.
I started to get bait out around the 18th of Apr. There was still a lot of snow and no sign of bears.For the next week and a half, it was haul bait 2 or 3 times each time I went up and do a burn.

The snow was slowly starting to melt as well. Wet snow and a heavy pack don't mix!

Then a couple days later, it snowed again.

Each time to the bait I would be excited to see if soething had hit it. Then finally on the 28th of april, my bait was hit! I was excited to say the least. I cut the track on the way in and was excited to see that the bait was somewhat cleaned out.

I restocked the bait and went back to the truck. When I got to my truck I ran into something strange. A hen turkey bedded almost under my truck! I thought she might be hurt or sick as I was able to get within a foot of her. I also had to pull my truck forward then back up so I didn't run over it. The bird just wouldn't move.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
Great photos and story so far! Looking forward to the rest of it...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a schedule that I can bait and hunt 2 times a week, and on weekends. So I couldn't get back for two days. It was a long two days. I wondered if the bear had moved on, left or if more was on the bait. I was a little anxious. When I made it back up the bait was cleaned up again! Only by a smaller bear judging by the track. The first track I cut on the bait was a good inch bigger than this one. Now let me say I want a bear, but not a baby. But I was still excited that there were bear on the bait.

Here is the track of the first bear.

Notice the snow has melted quite a bit.
So, I restocked the bait and headed out, on the way out I saw something I haven't seen this late in the year. There was a herd of elk , all bulls, feeding a couple hundred yards away. All were starting new horn growth, but one. Still a hard horned 5 point!

I set bait that weekend, but due to soccer and having my son I wasn't able to hunt. I would sit the stand for the first time on the following Tues.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
The first time I hunted my stand was last Tues the 6th. I got to my stand early. Put out some more bait, and did a burn for an hour or so. I climbed up and got settled. It was 5 pm and I didn't expect much for awhile. I was relaxing and enjoying the evening, when a twig snapped up the hill. I looked up the trail and there not 40 yards away the first bear of my hunt! It is a beautiful bear. My first impression was too little, big ears, pretty small. All I've heard is how bear have terrible ground shrinkage. Now again, I'm not looking for a monster, but I don't want to shoot a dink. So I took pictures and tried not to shake out of the tree. I've seen bear before, but never hunted them. That turned up the adrenaline!!

This was also the first bear on my bait. I love to hunt, and with an oops baby(not planned) due the end of Sept. Elk hunting is not much of an option this year. So this is my "elk" hunt, and I didn't want it to end the first night. So I let this guy pass.

Pick a Spot!!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I've talked with a few people who know bears, and my assumptions were right. It's about 150 lb sow or small boar. But I've also heard how pretty this bear is, and it would make an awesome mount. So if this bear comes in again, it's in trouble!

Here is a short clip of it. Bear are incredible animal and they rank right up there with elk now. They are so much fun to watch.
Keep looking for updates as I can get them out.
I also have this weekends hunt, when Nathan Fikkert joins me for a couple of sits.

Offline reecool

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful bear , nice story.
I'm waiting for more .
 Eric .

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice!! You're right, it's a small bear, but the colors are great and the hide doesn't look too rubbed out. I'd be awful tempted, myself. It's make a pretty full mount.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
Ryan, You've got my attention. Great story so far. I'll be following along for sure. I've only been able to hunt Blackies here in my state. New york does not allow baiting so I very intrigued.
Keep it coming.
I reckon so

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
that was way kool.... great pic's... Truly God's country

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Truely awesome!!!!

Can't wait for more.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story and pix. I am looking foward to following this story. Keep it coming.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
COOL PICS and thank you for taking us along....can't wait for more!!!!! Don and Sky
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Very cool...keep us updated....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Very cool!
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story  and even better pics!!!  Keep it comin   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story....... now go shoot the Bear and post the video for us...... Im excited for you.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys! I'm trying to download some more video from last night. But I'm having a little trouble with it. If anyone knows how, could you pm me. Thanks again. Stay tuned....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©