3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt along! Warning: explicite photos of bait -w pics and vid THE FINALLE!!  (Read 4665 times)

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
Steadman, I want to see a picture of you and your arms around the neck one of those pretty bears. Mike

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
I just found this thread too...and cannot believe how long it took me.  The photos are great as is the narrative.

Remember to PICK A SPOT!
Lon Scott

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to stick with it, good luck. Looking forward to another update!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
And folks say that baiting is too easy...

You have several NICE bears hitting your stand. One of em is bound to ask for the arrow.

One extra little point of hope...They have GREAT memories and will all be back next year to check out the buffet...ceptin the one you take home for dinner that is 8*)

Shoot straight.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't forget PICK A SPOT! Good Luck KY  :wavey:

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm with KSdan.  Is there a way to stretch a rope across?

Good luck!!

Dennis

Offline Chris EdS

• Trad Bowhunter
I think we need a photo of the creek, it will add to the story, and then we can all give you some more advice about "crossin the crick".  If it was me crossing a creek with snow melt in CA, (when there is water) I'd have one of those survival suites on.    :)     If you have 40 or 50 lbs on your back and slip, get your foot caught and the water flow pins you under a log, you're a goner.  I'd vote for a walking stick, a rope and a prayer.   :pray:  

I'm green with envy!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Alright, before I start, I just want to tell everyone thanks again.
I went up this afternoon after work to try to figure out how to get across the river. Well, quarter mile up the road, I find it. A huge log that has fallen across the river. Bingo! I test it, then gather my stuff and head to the bait. It is picked clean again. And something else. The trail cam has a hole in the plastic. Oh Crap! A bear broke my Dad's camera. Well I hope I get a pic of the assailant.
I drop some more bait, only about 50 lbs. I plan on hunting tom night if the weather holds out. I swith memory cards and head back out.
When I get home, I am excited again. BIG BOY is back, along with the OIL bear (the big blonde). But they are both at dark. I need to figure out how to get them in during shooting hours. But, I have a nice cinamon, and a nice chocolate hitting the bait. For me, it's time to drop the string. So hopefully this weekend is it. Here's some more pics from the trail cam.( I love that thing!)

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
I told you a bear was going to chew on that camera!  Anything you touch with those "bear crack" hands becomes bear bait.  Hope things go well for you, it will come together.

Nathan

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good luck!

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
That blond is absolutely gorgeous and I don't normally like blonds  :rolleyes:  

Good luck

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
This thread is killing me.  My buddy just left for Alberta today to do the very same thing.  I cannot wait to see your trophy.....GOOD LUCK!
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good luck, great thread!
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Go get him!

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
Man awesome bears,....thanks for taking us along...hope your taking the hero pics as I type....
Jason Lester

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain and snow tonight have me holding out for tom. Thanks for all the good lucks. Yeah Nate, I figured it was a matter of time, but it still takes pics. I will be hunting every afternoon for the next week.
Here is one of the regulars. It's a pretty bear. Looks like she doesn't like something here.

" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Acording to the time frame on the pics these bears are coming in early too.Are the time on the pics accurate?If so getting there at daylight with a load of bait and doing a burn might payoff.If you can stay all day after loading that site and doing a couple of burns would seem logical.be careful going in,take a lunch and dont leave until past shooting light.After that take plenty of pics of the kill and don't leave out any details.Thats my plan and sounds good but then again I an't kiiled no bears.Good luck and great thread.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
So this last week was filled with nothing but disappointments. And not just hunting. Isn't it life how just when you think you've cleared a hurdle like frustration, that another two or three hurdles, or tests are put in front of you. That is how this past week was for me. Between the weather, that went from 90 on Tues, to 45 on Wed, then rained and snowed up til Sat. To an unexpected hospital visit, to family crisis, to job garbage. All I know is that something good will happen soon. I hope I don't sound like I am whining, because I'm good at that, I am actually humbled to be able just to hunt this spring.

So as mentioned earlier, I didn't hunt on Fri due to the monsoon that was going on. I did however go up and put out some bait. The log I used previously had broken in two. But due to the colder weather the river was back down. I also purchased some hip boots. I'm just a little slow LOL. Problem solved.

Sat I woke up to more rain in the mtns, but forcast to clear up. It was time to hunt. Back on the stand about noon. I planned to sit til dark. It was a long sit. I saw some birds, one I call the bear bird, because previous to tonite, when I saw them, I saw a bear.

I also sat my new stand site tonight. Here is a view from the new stand to the bait. My other stand is straight across the canyon.

So about 6:30 I hear yelling above my stand, it sounds like someone lost a dog. The yelling continued for about an hour or so. I just laughed, a good way to top off the week.Nothing came in, which honestly was disapointing, especially after seeing that I still have three bears hitting the bait regularly. But again, I am hunting, not shooting.
So I will be back out first thing in the morning on Mon. Hill boy the times are right, so mabey in the morn. I will also take a pic of the creek, even though it's lower. My plan is to sit the original stan or move it off the bait a little. Since I didn't see anything. they might be winding me before they get to the bait.Here's a couple more pics of bears. As you can see "Bubba" is still there. I think he's pretty smart, doesn't come in til after dark.

But there is this cinnamon that comes in pretty regular. I think I will get a shot at this bear.

This last pic is one of my favorites. Just wished it wasn't blurry. Must have been cold up there.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
So I have every night to hunt this week except Fri. I can take a half day off on two of the other three days, plus all day on Mon. Sat. is the last day of the hunt. I am determined to get a shot. All it will take is some patience and perserverence. So I will post when i can. Thanks to everyone again.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
I also wanted to thanks you guys for the ideas on the river crossing. The reason I didn't want to use a rope was becaise there are hound guys in the area as well. Most don't have tags, but have pursuit permits. Here in Ut it is illegal to run off of baits, but that doesn't stop a lot of houndsman here, if they know where one is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©