3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for TURKEY HUNTERS  (Read 811 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
question for TURKEY HUNTERS
« on: February 16, 2023, 05:38:51 PM »
now i know some peolpe are going to think this question might be stupid BUT if it gets in my head i have to ask...does any turkey hunters worry about arrow weight..if so what weight do you hunt with....and do you prefer light weight for speed or heavy for more knock down power...if you think its dumb just pass the topic..thanks..

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: question for TURKEY HUNTERS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 06:50:43 PM »
Turkeys can be tough to penetrate, never had a pass thru. I use my whitetail setup, 48-50# 500-550 gr arrow. Shots limited to 20yds max, heart/lung is a small target.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 06:56:28 PM »
thanks katman,in fact we have all most the same set up...so that makes me better... i was  curious what others use OR if people even think about it...thanks again..

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 08:17:33 PM »
I agree that turkeys are tough to penetrate, because of the feathers and feather quills, but also because they are light enough to move a little with the arrow on impact, which further reduces penetration. they don't do this intentionally, of course, it's just that when the arrow hits them, it tends to push them a bit as it penetrates. I've shot them with 2-blade, 3-blade and 4-blade heads and now use mostly Woodsman's and Snuffers.  I use the same set up I use for deer. Bows in the 45# range and arrows about 500 to 525.  I'd say about one out of five have been pass throughs.

(I'll add that a pass through to me is an arrow that goes completely through the bird and exits the off side.  I don't count it a pass through if the broadhead is protruding from the off side, but the arrow is still in the critter. )
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:45:54 AM by Orion »

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:39:18 PM »
I agree about hunting with your deer set up. Had good luck with this approach but Like my buddy Joey Buchanan, I go with the 2" silver flames for turkeys with my stick bows. get about 50 percent passthrough with low 40lb bows but 100 percent dead turkeys that are hit and most of them are. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:47:56 PM »
Same as the others, they are very solid though the center, much more so than deer.  I would go with the heavy shaft.  One from last season with a two blade broadhead and barely got enough penetration.  Probably a 550 gr. arrow.   

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 08:48:19 PM »
Am no turkey hunting expert however, I do get after them.

Working to successfully arrow number 39 this season. Have been using Tree Sharks the past decade.

Typically. have pass thrus, which I personally desire. Have used my loaded deer arrows in the past.

Used a light setup last season, for the 1st time, tipped with a Tree Shark on a filmed hunt in Oklahoma. Experienced a complete at 16 yards.

Note: Had experienced one pass thru ever prior to switching to Tree Sharks. Have even intentionally taken a head off. My recoveries have easily doubled.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:05:26 PM »
What Orion said.  Turkeys are one of those animals that 'roll with the punches'.  Kinda like ground hogs.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 07:41:23 AM »
 :campfire:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 09:10:18 AM »
Same bows and arrows for deer. Marginal hit,  who knows how it will all turn out.  Good hit,  nothing to worry about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©