3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super glue for fletching  (Read 1931 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Super glue for fletching
« on: February 17, 2023, 03:31:48 PM »
Quick question, anyone used regular super glue for fletching? I’ve always used the gel type. Wasn’t sure if the regular would work as well.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super glue for fletching
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 04:19:07 PM »
I have used it with no ill affects.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 05:44:45 PM »
It works well.
Have you ever tried the fletch tape?
Very quick and easy.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 07:11:40 PM »
Roy , I have used fletch tape , I’m one of those that just can’t get it to stick. I sure wish it would work for me it is easy. I always cleaned the shafts even rubbed them with scotch Brite. Maybe I just got some bad tape, I still have a couple rolls of it but it’s old now. Maybe I’ll get another roll whenever I order some supplies.
 Wife was at the store and was supposed to pick up the gel super glue, she got the regular. Was wanting to fletch some shafts this evening but think I’ll wait till I can get the gel.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 08:21:47 PM »
Works good BUT, if you use it on wood arrows with like wipe on poly, you will get a cloudy appearance on the wood between the fletching.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 08:52:16 PM »
I use regular lok tite and it works great! My feathers will rip off long before the quill does, just make sure to clean the shaft with some alcohol before gluing up.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 10:03:52 PM »
Roy , I have used fletch tape , I’m one of those that just can’t get it to stick. I sure wish it would work for me it is easy. I always cleaned the shafts even rubbed them with scotch Brite. Maybe I just got some bad tape, I still have a couple rolls of it but it’s old now. Maybe I’ll get another roll whenever I order some supplies.
 Wife was at the store and was supposed to pick up the gel super glue, she got the regular. Was wanting to fletch some shafts this evening but think I’ll wait till I can get the gel.

You don't need the gel type for fletching, but you definitely want the thick viscosity stuff.

This is what i use....It comes with some pretty cool micro tips so you don't glue slop the fletching.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C32ML9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 02:03:09 AM »
I still use fletch tite

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 09:09:03 AM »
I've used everything over the years. Duco, Fletchtite, CA, contact cement, tape, etc....
Contact cement is the fastest if you are doing a lot of arrows, but the tape is easiest.
Gel CA works good, but sets up too slow, for me, compared to contact or tape. CA also seems to have the shortest lifespan for fletching.
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 09:48:12 AM »
Kirk, that Starbond super glue is good stuff. Way way better than cheaper brands of super glue.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 10:02:14 AM »
I got feathers stuck to the clamps didnt ever use it again I use NPV from Saunders . I used tape and when I shot in cold weather it looked like you kicked a turkey in the but

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 10:41:25 AM »
I use tape and run the thin ca glue on the quill with a toothpick- just a little bit will do.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 11:09:36 AM »
I have never tried any type of super glue.  Have used Fletchtite since the earliest I can remember.  Then I tried the tape because others said it was easier.  Although effective and it was not anything near easier. 
Got Duco now that I'm working with wood arrows and decided to try it with carbons just to see . . .  So far so good. 
There have been a time or two over the years Fletchtite was hard to get a hold of.   If that happens again I'll have an alternative.
Just for the knowing, does it work okay with wraps?
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »
I used that Duco in the past with decent results. As well as a lot of fletch tight over the years…. I never could get that fletch tape to work well for me at all.

The key to any type of adhesive is the prep work. Acetone is hard to beat on bare aluminum or carbon shafts. But not so good on finished woodies.

I’m an arrow wrap fan myself, and the star brand super glue holds pretty good to those vinyl wraps. It’s pretty hot stuff though…. So you have to go easy on it.

I’ve tried a lot of different CA glue and Star brand is excellent stuff.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 11:51:33 AM »
I don't uses super glue my question is, does it get brittle after time ? I just remembering some of the glue the I used on vanes on carbons getting brittle.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
I'm currently shooting a set of axis arrows. The arrows have a vinyl wrap and super glued feathers. Two years in with no problems yet. I have heard super glue works best on a wrap.

Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 01:18:40 PM »
I seldom do wood arrows these days, but hope to get back to them this year. That said....
For Aluminum....like mentioned above....I LOVE Onestringer wraps , and for fletching over/onto these I have found NO BETTER way that holds in all types of extreme .....Heavy Rain-Heavy SNOW-WET Heavy SNOW-HEAT-ETC...Than Gorilla super glue in the Blue cap ! 

I have used it exclusively since they stopped production of the original fletch tite....This stuff far exceeds any imho...

I have found shafts lost after taking a deer and stumping ((YEARS)) after "misplacing" them....Yep, the fletching was rotted away...but, the wraps and the quill were still fast to those shafts !!!

That is a few years of Ohio weather extremes...Rain-snow-heat-well below 0 temps....That is some pretty harsh testing grounds ;^))) 

That also says A-LOT about those products. Actually two of those arrows were lost in the bush so long that the ALUMINUM  shafts had  rusted through the wall of the shafts. Those were 2018's thickness also...not easily rusted through;)

I have had a few gents tell me Dap rapidfuse was better.....Not in my testing. Dap chalked  more  for other applications like fabric & leather .Way more than Gorilla ...and I had the Dap  not hold on the same wraps ....

Gorilla Blue cap is Very impact resistant , as it stays somewhat flexable which is a win win for this application !

So , I also HIGHLY recommend  using a quality wrap & Gorilla Super in Blue cap...For me it has  a near perfect applicator tip & consistency...Non better imho for wrap-fletching  to aluminum/carbon connection...
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 01:26:12 PM »
I was always a fan of the tape till I tried super glue with an accelerator.  Now I use 2P10 from Fast Cap.  spray the activator on the shaft and glue on the feather. instant bond in 10 seconds. I like it but get a bottle of the debonder just in case you glue your fingers together. I got an arrow that has been through a couple of pigs and at least one deer and the feathers are still right on there.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »
Don Batten...
 ""I got an arrow that has been through a couple of pigs and at least one deer and the feathers are still right on there.""

Yes Sir, as it should be Don. No method of fasting fleching to wrap or shaft should loose before we loose it.;)

No fletch should come loose simply passing through animals or stumps ....I can except the fletching getting "cut" , but not the wrap or quill coming loose.....
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 04:57:38 PM »
RiverWolf, I just finished a dozen carbons with wraps and the blue cap Gorilla SG. I did add a brush on coat of waterbased polycrilic to protect the cresting I did. They are for my brother in law, so if anything goes wrong it will be for him. I wonder if I could move the glue to a bottle with a needle point without screwing it up or the needle point? I buy these bottles at the hobby lobby, works with  Ducco. Lays just a thin bead on the quill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©