3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flemish String Jig / String Build help  (Read 1925 times)

Offline johnm856

• Trad Bowhunter
Flemish String Jig / String Build help
« on: February 22, 2023, 04:32:25 PM »
Quite a while ago I made a Flemish string jig using a pattern designed by Tim Flood. In the past I have used it to make strings that actually worked. Now, however, my attempts at making a string for my 64” longbow have resulted consistently in 58” strings.

Is anyone familiar enough with this particular string jig to say whether the numbers along the adjustable peg are indicating the bow measurement (64” bow so place the peg at the 64” mark)? If so should that not automatically make a string in the length of bow length minus 3”?

I recall doing it that way in the past successfully and I’m not sure how I’m ending up so short now. If it is the bow length number one should be using; how does it work if you make a longbow string that is supposed to be 3” less than marked bow length, vs making a recurve string that is supposed to be listed bow length minus 4”.

Hope these questions make sense. I probably should have allowed time between the most recent failed string and posting the questions….

Thanks for any assistance on this.

John

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish String Jig / String Build help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 05:29:39 PM »
It's trial and error. If your string is coming out short, move out another inch or 2 till they work. Then write that down in a notebook.

Did you change string type?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 06:10:30 PM »
These are the instructions for a string jig similar to yours, if it is any help to you.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 06:15:46 PM »
This is the jig that those instructions refer to:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline johnm856

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 06:28:43 PM »
It's trial and error. If your string is coming out short, move out another inch or 2 till they work. Then write that down in a notebook.

Did you change string type?

No changes to string type. Used the same material.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I’ll give that a try.
John

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 PM »
Quite some time ago, I built a jig following the instruction in TJ. Conrad's book.  Following the instructions for string length, my strings also came out two inches short.  I just adjusted the numbers on my jig, as Roy suggested.  I wonder if a lot of these folks aren't getting their plans from the same source, which just happens to be off by a few inches.  No need to change/throw out the jig, of course.  Just change the position of the numbers on the scale.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 09:29:43 PM »
Like Roy said....Notes and more NOTES  :biglaugh:

Every string type , differnt counts, your tension while twisting , etc.etc..will give slightly different results.
Also , with string types like B50-B55 will stretch in  WAY more than Rhino etc..etc...

I overload mine to SETTLE them in....

but, staying on point ;)..NOTES !

Best with your quest my friend ...... :campfire:
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 01:36:16 PM »
It seems to me that if the center adjustable peg holes are 1/2 inch apart, that would be for STRING length because every 1/2 inch you move to will change the string by 1 inch. If the holes are 1 inch apart, that would be for BOW length because every hole would change the string by 2 inches. (60" bow, 62" etc.) The center peg doubles the measuremant you move it because the string comes up and goes down the same length from that pin. Hope that made sense.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 01:43:12 PM »
If you are unsure of your jig's measurements, you can do a mockup string bundle with cheap, waxed, unflavored dental floss, I buy the off-brand cheap stuff and run up a bundle then I can measure it. I want to see the string length I need (bow length less 4 inches) plus 20 inches (10 inches on each end to make loops and tapers). 60 inch bow, I make a 56 inch string so I want a bundle 76 inches long to the longest thread in the bundle.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline johnm856

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 08:11:21 PM »
Thank you all. I appreciate the input and have started with the notes as I continue to practice. I like the idea of using floss. The biggest frustration has been the waste of string material.

So, thanks again. Very much!

John

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:20 PM »
The fact of the matter is that everybody makes strings differently, even if they use the same string jigs and the same brand of string.  Notes are essential, of course.  But on my notes you will see numbers that are crossed out and replaced by slightly different numbers.  And a nail in my archery room with strings that don't quite fit any bow that I have.  But if I want to make another string for a bow that I have already made strings for, I can make them fine.  And if I want to make a string for a bow that is close, I can come pretty close on the first try.

But if what you want are great strings at the lowest price, you will not make your own strings and will buy them from any of the highly qualified string makers who are our sponsors.  Professionally made strings just don't cost that much.  And you don't have to wonder why you have a lifetime supply of BCY 10 that is now obsolete.

I enjoy making my own strings, and that's why I do it.  If you don't have the desire to do it yourself, you shouldn't. 
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©