3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tent recommendations  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Tent recommendations
« on: February 24, 2023, 10:21:16 AM »
So, I am looking to replace my old Coleman tent with something more durable... I am about a year (or less) from retirement and hope to do more traveling, fishing & hunting, and camping. Wondering what you tent hunters use and would recommend?
Here are some thoughts:
- 3 season, not a big winter camper
- Durable, years of use
- Solid floor for my dog (90lb lab)
- Solo set up
- 4 person seems the right size, I'll be camping solo or with another person at most
- Will take wet conditions for several days if necessary
- Will take wind - I've had several leveled in the past
- Standing room would be good
- Overhang or alcove for cooking etc. would be a plus
- Budget around $500 - $700 would be comfortable
- Not too worried about weight as this will not be a hiking tent, as long as it's manageable to set up
Really looking at canvas tents for durability, but open to other materials people have had good experiences with...
Thanks in advance for your recommendations,
Randy

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tent recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 11:08:34 AM »
Cabelas alaskan guide 6 or 8 man would be hard to beat for what you stated as wants, and as a tent you are not packing on your back. I've used the bigger ones, and own a 4 man... no standing room in the 4 man.

I have an alaknak from cabelas as well, nice headroom etc but setup much slower, the guide would be better for wind.

R

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »
  go to the Sportsmans Guide and check out the guide gear deluxe teepee tent 14x14 just for fun     :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 11:52:17 AM »
For small canvas tents check out Kodiak Tents.  I've had the 10X14 for a few years....easy set-up and solid quality.
I too replaced an old Coleman canvas tent.

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 12:58:57 PM »
I bird hunt with dogs a lot. I needed something fast to set up and reasonably fast to take down. Didn’t want a roof top tent. I found Oztents. I purchased the 4 person tent. I am 6’ and can stand up, there is room for dogs, the floor is super tough and the tent material is very tough. Literally 30 seconds to erect it once it’s out of the zip bag. Then you pound a few stakes in, more if it’s windy. It has a 5 footish overhang that you can put up if needed. I typically just tie that to my bed rack on the truck. My tailgate holds grill and other cooking stuff and it is covered by the overhang. The only thing that can be challenging is the tent in the bag is about 6’ long. So it needs to be strapped to my bed rack. Not a big deal at all for me. But it’s not something you toss in the back seat of a truck. Oztents have been tested to the max, they withstand wind, rain, snow, heat and are used extensively by the overlanding guys. Just finished my first season using it and am 100% happy with the purchase. There is plenty of YouTube videos on them. The pic is how I typically set it up when I’m bird hunting out of camp. If I was going to be driving to a spot, I’d just use the poles to support the overhang. It has multiple windows for ventilation. There is a window cutout just below where the overhang meets the tent. I usually leave that open as it really helps with condensation and provides decent fresh air if I use a buddy heater. They are a little over your set price range, but can be found in the 700$ range on some sites. Totally worth my money.
Craig
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50@28”
English Walnut and Cocobolo
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 02:40:24 PM »
Kodiak canvas flex bow tent is hard to beat. I can set mine up in less than 15 minutes by myself
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 03:45:16 PM »
Kodiak 10x10 is what I have - best tent I've ever owned.  Checks all your boxes.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 05:19:04 PM »
Cabelas Alaskan served me well when I was traveling and hunting and angling.I had my Labrador and the tent never leaked in some severe weather and wqaa stable and solid in high winds.Fairly easy setup.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 05:32:20 PM »
Check out Davis Tents here in Colorado.  Just heard on the radio, they have several new models out this year.  They have been in business for several years.

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
Another vote for the Kodiak Canvass flex bow tent. I have the 10x14

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
My choice is the Montana Canvas Spike Tent.  Less than five minutes to set up or take down.  Not sure what they go for now, I have been using this one since 1992.  Plenty of room for two people with cots, all your gear, and a stove.  Easily fits three people with cots without the stove, four if you squeeze a little.  This model is the 10' x 10' with 2-foot walls.  If I was to buy another one, it would be the 12' x 12' with 3-foot walls.  Has a tarp that attaches over the door that goes out ten feet and is held up by poles, trees, or vehicles.  Great for keeping your table and gear out of the weather or for shade.

1999 Alaskan moose hunt

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 10:15:58 PM »
I have a Springbar Vagabond, 8' x 10".  Made in USA.  Current cost looks like $899 includes shipping.  Looks like they are also selling made in China tents of the same material and design for less.  Nice solid floor, an awning.  Pretty easy to set up with one person.  BUT- you have to get the perimeter stakes in good and solid!  Do that, and wind is not a problem.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2023, 08:58:40 AM »
Kodiak Canvas - Easy to set up, will last an extremely long time, handles high winds well, has a very durable floor for your dog.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 11:52:52 AM »

Kodiak Canvas, spring bar I have a 10 x 10 . Easy 1 person set up  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 12:44:15 PM »
Cabelas alaskan guide 6 or 8 man would be hard to beat for what you stated as wants, and as a tent you are not packing on your back. I've used the bigger ones, and own a 4 man... no standing room in the 4 man.

I have an alaknak from cabelas as well, nice headroom etc but setup much slower, the guide would be better for wind.
Ditto I used the 6 man for years still have it.

R
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 01:15:16 AM »
I have a mountain tent, 4 season. and think a teepee tent would be easy to setup, and meet most or all your requirements, although some have floors, some don"t.  The last link offers a rating system. Take a look.

https://kifaru.net/product-category/shelters/

https://seekoutside.com/tipi-tents/

https://www.divein.com/outdoor/teepee-tent/
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 07:56:18 PM »
This is an Alaskan atuk.  It’s 8x8, one 7 foot pole in Center, sides tied out. This one has 18” walls but normally comes with 30” walls.  No floor.  I bough the floor in with fir boughs.  Look into “snow trekkers “. They make different models.   This one weighs 10-12 lbs rolls up the size of a bulky sleeping bag.  It’s good for me as it’s only me and the dog. Few times a friend and myself went moose hunting.  Or just winter camping.   But not sure these are what your looking for…

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 06:32:34 AM »
I am also partial to canvas,using an old Blue Star with the thick rubber floor.Am also partial to tipi shaped as the can handle high winds.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 06:58:07 AM »
Yes. Most wouldn’t think pyramid shapes hold wind. But once the poke is up and the outside is anchored. Then 30” up the strings are tied out it’s harder to knock it over no doubt. I had it up in some wind but usually try to hunker down where there’s none. Just cause it moves the stovepipe a bit.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©