3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best noise to make to stop a deer for a shot?  (Read 1235 times)

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Best noise to make to stop a deer for a shot?
« on: February 24, 2023, 11:01:47 PM »
I have kind of had the idea that it is better to not verbally stop a deer for a shot seeing that it would make them alert and more likely to jump the string...This past season I rushed two shots and was not able to recover the deer because of hitting them to far forward in the shoulder...It got me thinking that I would have been able to process my shot better if I would have stopped the deer instead of shooting at a moving animal. So, is there a sound that will stop a relaxed deer without making it go into high alert? Is the traditional "grunt" or "meah" the best sound to make?

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best noise to make to stop a deer for a shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 11:27:09 PM »
All sorts of opinions on this, I don’t stop them. 
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 12:57:34 AM »
All depends on the animal's behavior at that very moment. If walking, I stop them with various noises and have never had one jump skin on me. I usually start with a mouse like predator lip squeak, if that doesn't work then a quiet bleat and then increase volume until they stop. I have definitely had some get out of range before coming to a stop and have had a few that just never stopped. I went through this same cycle this year on a public 140s rut trotting that never stopped even when I hit yelling volume. Old Boy was glued hard to the fragrance. Personally, I am not one to shoot at a walking deer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 01:04:27 AM by strick9 »
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 01:25:04 AM »
Soft Kitten Meeeeeeooooooowww.:)

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »
For some reason I have a hard time with moving deer.  I either rush the shot or misjudge lead on them. So for many years I have resorted to stopping them. In my area I don't have a problem with them spooking when making a noise like some guys do.
I just make a soft grunt with my mouth. They usually stop because they heard something but weren't sure what or where. Sometimes I have to get louder and louder.  I've never spooked one doing this and am usually coming to full draw as they stop so the arrow is gone immediately. 
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 10:50:21 AM »
If you make a noise to stop/get their attention then you just put that animal in high alert. But you never know it's an animal, you cant out think them or understand them.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »
I'm with Walt on this one, why alert a deer that doesn't know you're there. If they're under 20 yards I shoot them walking.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2023, 12:03:33 PM »
 (((Best noise to make to stop a deer for a shot?)))

The sound of the arrow that just passed through them.....

I haven't shot a standing still deer in a few years. I'll take an "unaware" walking animal over a startled-curious-alert animal standing still everytime.

A deer walking is calm and taking in a lot of distractions....from watching ahead...to the duff under its hooves .... It's sight-sound-smell  preocupied on everything BUT YOU .....

I'm not a big advocate of making noise or stopping an animal....  .:campfire:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 06:47:13 PM by RIVERWOLF »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2023, 02:15:33 PM »
I've done ok stopping bucks, had one get clear under the arrow in 30 years.  There were two other bucks sparring there also.

I'd rather not if I can go without it.

Old does on the other hand I will never do again. Proved that to myself this year again.

Big doe came in totally unaware , was walking at about 18 yards and I made a tiny noise while at full draw. She was just turning her head toward me when I released. When the arrow got there she had turned away and it hit her way back. Fortunately hit the big artery and she went about 50 yards.

Never again! Just not worth it to me...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 05:41:08 PM »
I don't stop them , to busy concentrating on the spot I want to Hit.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
(((Best noise to make to stop a deer for a shot?)))

The sound of the arrow that just passed through them.....

I haven't shot a standing still deer in a few years. I'll take an "unaware" walking animal over a startled-curious-alert animal standing still everytime.

A deer walking is calm and taking in a lot of distractions....from watching ahead...to the duff under its hooves .... It's sight-sound-smell  preocupied on everything BUT YOU .....

I'm not a big advocate of making noise or stopping an animal....  .:campfire:

2X
Well said, expresses my thoughts on this subject better then I could.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 07:56:04 PM »
Thanks Walt ....
It's just how "I" feel about the subject for "me"....after a good number of years Bowhunting....

Like a few above , I have made a sound to stop a deer or three over the years.  From using my hand to deflect/throw a deer bleat beyond me to scratching the tree bark on the off side of the tree I was in.....
 THE one thing you could count was ... that the deer  would almost always have A REACTION....You just never knew what that reaction was going to be.....

Deer-Yotes-etc...have an unbelievable ability to zero-in on the smallest noise from great distence away....at that point you become the hunted.....alot of times as a hunter , that situation isn't going to play-out well for you.jmho

Like this yote , I have hand called in  a few over the years after  seeing them in the area . The only one yote I ever killed was walking down a dry creekbed. I didn't make a sound , and shot him walking .... :campfire:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 06:29:46 AM by RIVERWOLF »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online ChiefStingingArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 09:17:10 PM »
Thank you guys for the feed back! I have successfully killed several deer and never stopped one. But these last two got me wondering if I should be trying to stop them.  Looks like I need to practice shooting at moving targets so I am ready for those moving shots.

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 11:05:03 PM »
I'm with Walt and Ralph. The only critter I stop is Moose. They don't react until the arrow hits them.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 07:32:25 AM »
Only stop them when I must, as said an alert deer reacts quicker to foreign sound. Only time I have stopped one was a rutting buck hot on a doe and he was moving way to fast for a shot at my skill level. Worked out well since he was twitterpated.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 09:02:07 AM »
Like almost anything in archery it's a situational thing.  But if you decide you want to try taking moving shots (which can be useful...depending on the situation...) ya' better actually practice it at home first.  Otherwise, prepare for the possibility of major disappointment.

Offline RBO21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »
Depends on the situation for me. If they’re moving fast I’ll try to stop them. If it’s super calm and no wind, I don’t try to stop them because they spook.
ZJF
Wild Horse Creek Kestrel T/D 60" 48lbs
Wild Horse Creek Mariah 54" 50lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©