3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: .500s vs .400s gt traditionals tuned for same bow  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Re: .500s vs .400s gt traditionals tuned for same bow
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 05:12:22 PM »
You know, I have the weights to attach to the end of inserts.  But they’re a snug fit inside the arrow. I’d imagine they’d stiffen part of the shaft too the more you attach to the end.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 06:37:30 PM »
You know, I have the weights to attach to the end of inserts.  But they’re a snug fit inside the arrow. I’d imagine they’d stiffen part of the shaft too the more you attach to the end.

That's correct.  Adding weights inside the shaft has two offsetting effects:  the extra weight weakens the spine, while eliminating flex from the part of the shaft the weights are glued in stiffens the spine.  I've found that after putting a 50 grain weight behind the insert, any additional weights behind the 50 grain weight have a negligible effect on spine, while of course increasing overall arrow weight.  To get the maximum effect on spine, increase point weight in front of the insert.  OTOH, if your arrow is already tuned, and you just want it to be heavier for hunting purposes, put the weight behind any existing weights you have already put behind the insert.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2023, 07:10:03 PM »
I might insert some weight tubes on my older, lighter arrows.

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 08:27:33 AM »
Hmmm.  I don't understand either on the back quiver.  If my back quiver is 24 inch deep, and I shorten my my arrows from 31 to 28 inches its going to created  MORE movement for me to retrieve them.  Clueless to the bow quiver also. Maybe you and ss can explaining.

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »
Thanks Skates. I was reading this this mornin and found myself needing more coffee. Orion a nd Ss clarify please.   Geezzz what a jiggsaw puzzle.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:09:19 AM by Russell Southerland »

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 11:27:27 AM »
Total confusing. Please explain to the animals I've killed  Orion and SS.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 11:56:39 AM »
Skates:  Read my posts more carefully.  The op's original question was, given that he had 400s tuned to his bow at almost full length, he was wondering if he could tune lighter spined 500s to his bow and perhaps shorten his arrow length as well.

My response was, yes, he could and suggested that he give it a try.  I added that I preferred my arrows no longer than they need be because "longer" arrows create more movement than shorter arrows, when they're in a bow quiver or when retrieving them from a back quiver.  I guess folks are having trouble following my examples of how longer arrows create more movement.

For example,  "If my back quiver is 24 inch deep, and I shorten my my arrows from 31 to 28 inches its going to created  MORE movement for me to retrieve them."  Nope. That's not what i said.  Just the opposite, in fact.  I said longer arrows, not shorter arrows, create more movement.

This is what I said.

First post.  "Given your draw length, the 400s, though they tune at a long length, are longer than you need.  I've always found arrows longer than I need cumbersome.  They create extra movement when removed from any quiver."

Second post. "The OP said the length difference might be as much as 4 inches (between what he is shooting now and the shorter length he could possibly attain with 500 spine arrows).  When removing arrows from a back quiver, that's 4 more  (more, not less) inches the archer's hand and the feathered end of the arrow must move before clearing the quiver. " Parenthetical statements added for clarity.

And arrow length really has nothing to do with killing animals.  Shoot the length arrows you want (at targets or animals).  I was just offering my reasons for preferring my arrows to be no longer than necessary. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 12:40:46 PM by Orion »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 08:06:09 PM »
I’m surprised nobody has brought up the advantage of a longer arrow providing a smaller gap and closer point on aiming.

For someone with a shorter draw length this can make a big difference if you are a gap shooter. Indoor target archers , and competition 3D   archers might prefer a longer shaft just for that reason too.

The only difference in how they shoot if they are tuned properly will be trajectory from having two different weight arrows. At a typical hunting distance of 15-20 yards you won’t see a huge difference. A few inches at most…. At longer distances  is where you’ll have a noticeable difference.

.02 cents…. Kirk.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©