3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite 2 blade broadhead  (Read 9536 times)

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite 2 blade broadhead
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

Let me first start by saying thanks to everyone on this site that makes it so Personal, friendly, informative and motivating. I've been at Trad archery for short time, but feel that just by being a part of this community i have gained in inspiration and knowledge of this fine sport. Making friends as i go. Now it's not just me, but my beautiful wife and son are now making this a time of family, fun, and memories that will continue for as long as we can draw a string. Many thanks.

Now, the question:
 What is your favorite 2 blade broadhead and why, and if you could, list your specific arrow/bow set up with weights included. Thanks.

Paul.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite 2 blade broadhead
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Since Iam a Bowyer and make all My own Bows, both Recurves and Long Bows, then My Favorite Bows are the ones I make, I cut down My own Trees and make My own Wood laminations, POC Arrows with 125 Gr. Two Blade Magnus B/H'S. Since I live in Kansas and the Magnus B/H'S are made here in Liberal, Kansas, like to support the Manufactures here. Plus you can't beat there Guarantee...ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :D    :D

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I'm strongly of the opinion that Magnus cut on contact broadheads are some of the best available of any style.  They are reasonably priced, accurate, easy to sharpen, and have a lifetime warranty.  What more could a guy ask for?

I shoot 125 grain Magnus 2 blades with all my recurves which are 50#-55# at my 28.5" draw.  I use a 29.5" 4560 CX Terminator Hunter, 3-4" vanes, 6" or 7" wrap, and standard insert for an overall weight of about 515 grains.

If I want more weight I use the same setup on a 29.5" 2117 XX78.  Total weight is 550-575 grains, depending on the vanes make/length of wrap.

My wife and I even use Magnus BH's with our compounds.  Her's are 2 blade 100 grains, mine 125 grain 2 blades or Snuffers...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Setting aside the Silverflames sat in my safe...I'm torn 50/50 between the Magnus I 135gn & the Zwickey Delta 135gn. Both fly beautifully, sharpen easily & are bombproof. Good width, strong tips & both look like a broadhead should look (getting nit-picky there!)

I'd list all my bows, but I'd be here all day! To keep it short, they're all around 60-66# at my draw & I shoot Beeman MFX 400s, full length with 100gn inserts & heads loaded to 210gn. Total weight is 670gn

Those 200gn Silverflames are mighty pretty though (As are the 185gn 1-7/8" MONSTERS!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Magnus I 135g or 160g~tune easily, easy to sharpen, and 1.5" cutting width.

All of my bows both RC and LB are between 54 and 56lbs @ 28 and I draw 29" and shoot 11/32 cedars. Excellent penetration and bloodtrails.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
For the past few years I've been shooting full length Beman ICS 340's (I draw 32") tipped with 125-grain Ace Standards out of various recurves and longbows. Total arrow weight is right around 500 grains. Penetration has never been a problem, whether I'm hunting deer, hogs, elk or moose.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I'll use either Magnus or Zwickey 2 blade broadheads. I shoot bows in draw weights from 45# to 59#, arrow length of 28 1/2" to 29" shooting from the left, & 27" to 29" from the right. Shorter draw right handed. Arrow weights from 500 gr. to 610 gr. or so.

Been using these heads for over 20 years & I have seen no reason to change.

Congrats on getting the whole family involved in a wonderful life long pursuit! You are indeed blessed. - Q.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Magnus I 135-grain 2-blade, or Zwickey Delta 4-blade.  I don't care for the bleeder blade design of the Magnus, but do like the Zwickey 4-blade design much better.

Both of these are my choices for that style of broadhead, and this is coming from a "3-blade" guy...  ;)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Simmons 190 Grain screw in Interceptors. My arrows are POC with 40 gr. aluminum screw in adaptors glued on.  This allows me to interchange my 190 gr. field points for the broadheads without extra effort.  Interceptors leave a huge entrance and exit hole and are strong, strong. The bows I shoot are mosty Hill style longbows -  60-70 lbs. with my draw length being 27". Arrows are cut 27 3/4 to allow for the taper fitting into the adaptor which is 1 1/2" in length itself making the whole arrow setup not including the length of the field point or broad head to be 28 1/2".
IBEP Instructor

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I will be shooting Magnus I broad heads for a long time!  I shoot a 52@27 Hill with a 29" Carbon Express Heritage 90.  The arrow weighs 600 grains with an 86 grain brass insert, 135 grain Magnus I, and 75 grain steel screw in adapter.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
I have had best results with Magnus I or II. I bought a new bow recentlt and have not yet come up with a hunting set up . I was shooting (at the time of my last kill) 50#draw 550gr arrow,  125gr Magnus with adapter for a 150gr up front. I am considering a single beveled type BH this year with my new bow and probably a 2018 arrow. I'll be shooting 47#.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Haven't found many that I don't like. Magnus I, II, Stingers, Zwicky Deltas or Eskimos, Zephyers, you name it. Most two blades fly like darts and penetrate like nobodys business.

I really like John Teitzel's new beefed up Tusker Aztecs and Javelins- serious broadheads!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Simmons because they are big and tough.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Sounds like Magnus is pretty well liked. And the simmons defintily look beefy. Thanks for the leads. Any more that anyone can think of? Thanks everyone for your input.

Paul.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I like Magnus and Zwickeys.  STOS is also a very good two-blade head.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
All currently available are flawed. Thus, I have no favorite ... yet. But thanks to the long and tedious work of Dr. Ashby, not letting uninformed detractors distract him from his science, we have not only hope, but promise of better broadheads than have ever existed before, coming on the market within the next year or so. In this small but important regard, we are living in an exciting time in archery history and all that's required of us is open minds and a bit of patience. Thank you, Dr. Ed. dave

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I like 145 grain Eclipse broadheads. I shoot 50-55 lbs bows and larch or fir arrows in the 600-700 grain range.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
160 or 190 grain Ribteks.   :readit:
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Zwickey Eskimo.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I like Grizzlies and Rib Techs. Fly well, penetrate well and sharpen easily for me. I've used Zwickeys with good results also. Really it's just a matter of preference as there are many quality BHs out there. STO's I'm not familiar with but maybe I ought to be cause Todd be a whole lot bigger and younger than me.   :smileystooges:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©