3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite 2 blade broadhead  (Read 9544 times)

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite 2 blade broadhead
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Wow!!! DW, jump right on in with a cannonball in the jacuzzi    :eek:    , It is hard to disagree with success.    :notworthy:    

I believe most game animals can be killed with any decent set up like 50lb with 450grains arrows and a sharp broad head.

However, Doctor Ashbey's reports speak with authority and have the data to back it up.

The formula has been put down in writing and stands as the bench mark for the best of the best.

Now if I'm hunting Javelina, I don't think I need maximum penetration, so lets blow a fat 160gr. snuffer from stem to stern.

However just like Terry said on thous fast Texas whitetails that duck and spin at the shot, if I hit it bad, I want it to never stop until its out the other side and some times that means crushing big bones.

The good Doc has done all the leg work for us and I might be a hard headed not to follow his sound advise.

So, as for me, I just worked up a wicked arrow concoction for Big game, A 65lb Habu double carbon Viper-con, smoking a 650gr. extreme-forward-of-center arrow with 360grains on the front and of course a modified Tonto tipped GRIZZLY.

I did get an exit on this one, but, it was just barely sticking out the other side.

I've not killed a hog with thicker armor than this one.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »
:eek:  That's an unbelieveable shield! How thick was it? It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like a couple of inches!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Dave,

Wow that IS an amazingly thick sheild. Were you using a Grizzly in your other pic's as well with the same set up? Great trophies by the way.

Paul.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I hear ya Dave...but I've got my own data, based on over 2 decades shooting white tails with 4 blades.....so I have to be honest with myself, and dance with the one that brought me.

Not meaning to diss anyone's findings, but I'm certainly not going to diss my own either.  I've never hit a my side shoulder except in TX and I have  a recovery rate of 36 yards with 4 blade Zwickeys here in GA.....Like I said, I've been shooting that head for over 2 decades, and I stop counting whitetails kills somewhere around fifty....back before there was an internet.

There's only one shoulder I'm worried about, and there's no gurantee any Bhead is going to 'crush it'....expecially spinning bucks that are spinning so fast they are rolling with the punch so to speak, and taking energy away from your arrow.  Also, there is no garantee that if you hit the on side shoulder and do get through on one of them spinners, that you will get any vitals at those sever angles.

There's a lot of deer that you can pass through easily.....and the shoulder aint that big compared....and its not guarding much at certian algles either.  I've done a good job of staying away from it, and my broad head has done a good job for me.....no, I'll say and exeptional job for me.

Yeah....TX Bottle Rockets may requier something else...but that's not a guarantee either....but I have my thoughts on my set up next year based on my findings of how consistanly they move inconsistantly and exatcly where I'll be aiming.  Yeah, that sounds crazy, but I sure am tring to figure out my best odds, and I think I got a pretty good program for now on in TX. Wish me luck!

I'm sure you will stick to what you got confidence in.....and I wouldn't ask you not to.  I've seen your posts here, and I sure wouldn't ask you to throw out your own data.      :thumbsup:    

Oh....btw...didn't mean to derail the thread...

My favorite  2 blade Bhead at the moment is the Sasquatch....and 2nd is the ACE Superwhatever (the WIDE one)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
David and TradPaul, I'm by no means anti-2 blade and I certainly respect you and your results with 2 blades over the years....I was heavily influenced in my early years by Mr. Jerry Simmons who is the maker of the Interceptors and the Shark series of Broadheads. My Dad sharpened them for Jerry for several years...So DAVID DUVALL,,,WHEN YOU GONNA MEET UP WITH US IN TEXAS for a 2 Blade VS. 4 Blade SHOOT-OUT?? Texas is about half way I think?????   :goldtooth:  Talk to Terry and make it happen...respectfully, Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Yeah Dave....TX!!!!  :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
 :eek:   That's an unbelieveable shield! How thick was it? It's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like a couple of inches!
Rob, it was right at 3" where the broadhead went through.

This could go on for days, maybe years ( I think it has! hasn't it).

Each broadhead has it's own mechanical advantages, some are poo poo, others are OK, and some are the best of the best.

Like bullets for different game, I don't want to use a 22cal. for elk and I don't want to use a 300mag for rabbits.

This cyber bowhunting camp   :knothead:   this is your favorite 2 BLADE BROADHEAD Thread, NOT 4 BLADES, so go on get   :wavey:  LOL, start your own 4 blade post

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Uh oh.    :eek:

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Texas you say? this could be good, just to Bowhunt   :archer:   with you all.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Now that was funny right there Dave...

Since I can't get a Grizzly as sharp as a standard bevel, I'll go with STOS as my favorite 2blade mainly cause it's got 100% historical success for me. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot anything walking on this planet with a properly sharpened 160gr STOS (of course on the right arrow out of the right bow).

My next question is, why would a feller relegate himself to just one broadhead..where's the fun in that? So, for thinner skinned game, tied for second is the classic Pearson Deadhead, the Simmons Interceptor, the Simmons Treeshark, and possibly these monster Silver flames...

Now don't kill the messenger, I stole this pic from someone else, too scared to take a pic of mine cause I'm afraid they'll cut the camera lens lookin at em.  :eek:  I'll see what they'll do this fall.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
JC, dose that thing kill and clean your game all in one shot   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
While I probably wouldn't shoot it at a hog, I think that 1 7/8" blade might just process the deer for you on it's way out the other side. And man are they sharp.

Did you get my email about the Habu?

Like yer sig lines...sounds about like the wording I was taught.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Dave......LOL
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Oh....btw...didn't mean to derail the thread...

My favorite  2 blade Bhead at the moment is the Sasquatch....and 2nd is the ACE Superwhatever (the WIDE one)
In case ya missed it Dave.....  ;)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
This boar hog was shot with one of them 'For Men Only' heads.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
SORRY TRADPAUL, David's correct, this is a 2-blade thread.....STILL we need to do the Texas shoot-out..East vs. West, 2 vs. 4, call it what ever....  :)    :)    :)    :)    :)  Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Also grizzly challenged...STOS currently in quiver...will be chasing hogs in less than an hour!!

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Don, I'm just having fun with you and Terry.   :scared:   )

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I know you're just having fun...and it is a lot of FUN!!!!  :biglaugh:      Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I just acquired two new boxes of 2 blade Thunderhead 150’s and 3 extra packages of new blades.  I shot them back in 1989 and 1990 and they killed my largest bow deer.  I found them on **** and paid much less for them now then when they were new in the store.  

I’m looking forward to hunting deer this fall with them…might bring back some luck I had with them years ago.  I was going to use them for turkeys this spring but opted for my 150 grain snuffers since they’re a bit larger in diameter and have an extra blade for those small birds.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©