3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Speed Guideline  (Read 322 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Speed Guideline
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I have been reading thru the Trad Bowyers bible vol 1 lately, and they keep talking about average performance or +8fps average performance.

Is there like a guideline that most trad bows shoot?  I heard once 9gr/lb 180fps.  Not sure if thats true.

Does anyone know what they are referring too?

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed Guideline
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
I think they may be using the 9 or 10 gr/lb of bow weight....don't know.  Another is to take the poundage of your bow (all-wood bows) then add 100, and that gives you a good starting point.   Example, a 60 lb bow should shoot 160 fps.   Nothing is set in stone, however, and a lot goes into figuring "fast".   They all shoot within an eyeblink of fast at 20 yards and less, IMO.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Speed Guideline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I am really getting alot out of these volumns, but they use alot of terms expecting me to know what they are.  I figured out most if not all.  But not sure about this one.

But they go into talking about string follow, and set without really saying what they are.  And in other circumstances, they start out elementary.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©