3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wet Feathers  (Read 364 times)

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
Wet Feathers
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Once my feather fletches get completely soaked (shooting frogs) they never lay the same again; it does not seem to affect arrow flight, but they don't look very pretty. Is there anything that can be done to restore them?
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wet Feathers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
Try steaming them over some boiling water, slowly rotate them over the pan 4 inches or so in the steam. They will be as good as new in no time.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
You can also wash them in hot soapy water to get crud out and steam them to fluff them up.  This will, however, remove some of the oils in the feathers.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I do like adeeden If they are just wet but I also strike my palm with the shaft briskly while steaming.
Sort of steam, then strike a couple of times, then steam and then strike again. The impact seems to get the feathers back to their original position more easily. When I am almost finished, I wave the fletching quickly back and forth, fast enough to make a swishing sound. It works for me.

When they have animal fat and/or blood or other sticky dirt that doesn't just rinse off, I do like Dave.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys!
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I rub them the "wrong" way so all the fletch gets separated, let them dry, then zip the fletch back up by rubbing the "right" way. Best I can explain it.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
i do like Mr jeffer as well.
i do alot of stumping, and its really nasty and muddy here in St.Louis now i get them wet all the time . just slide your finger down the arrow "feather" backwardsslice the air a couple times to get most water out .
then drying them is my favorite part, i use an air drying method "i shoot the heck outta em till there pretty  :) "

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
I get a pressure cooker(without the little pressure thingy) or steam kettle and put the messed up fletching over the little hole that is blowing steam. The pressure pushes the fletching back into shape real fast. Gary

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
put arrow between my hands and rub them... arrow spin dries....then go shoot them.... They be fine

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©