3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blister prevention elk country  (Read 534 times)

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Blister prevention elk country
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
I was hoping some veteran elk hunters could share some tips on how to protect ur feet from blisters???

thanks
Bull

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blister prevention elk country
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Hike a lot before you get there in the shoes or boots you are going to wear, with the pack you are going to wear and the weight you are going to carry in the closest terrain to your hunting area.  Train for your game.

Wear polypro sock liners.

Wrap some duct tape around your water bottle or something else (trekking pole, quiver, pack, bow).  It can be use for many things, including taping up hot spots...before they become blisters.

Downhill is often worse than uphill for blisters and black toenails.  Make sure your footwear fits.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Down hill can definitely do you in, make sure you don't skimp on the footwear and make sure you get someone knowledgable to fit them properly. I wish I had pics to show you how I know.  Ouch!
Burnsie
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
Broken in, well fitting boots. If your toes touch the front of your boot on downhills, they will pay in the mountains. I wear heavy socks like Smart Wools, and change them regularly. And pre season conditioning wearing the boots you are going to hunt in is a must. Lots of hiking prior to your trip, preferably in hilly, rough country will help a bunch.
And, if you get blisters, moleskin is handy to have around.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
THANKS for the info. Moleskin an duck tape good tips. The polypro liners are they called blister free socks or is that something different.I take it that u guys wear 2 pairs a liner an a wool?
Bull

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
Hattrick,

There is a majic substance that will prevent any blisters. It's called Body Glide, it comes in speedstick format. It is an anti chafing protectant made for runners. Around here the only place that carries it is specialty running shops. I have used it for years whenever breaking in new boots and on mountain hunts. It is fantastic and can be used anywhere on body that you may develope chafing problems. It's not cheap, regular size about $20.00/tube but I never leave home without it. I now carry it in my pack all thre time.
hunt it

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
In 30 years of hunting I have not gotten any blisters.  I attribute this to proper foot wear & good socks.  For the early season, warmer weather, I wear a pair of hiking boots made by Lowa.  They feel like wearing tennis shoes with lots of support.  They breathe, they are water proof and very comfortable.  The pair I am using now I have had for the last 6 seasons and have logged somewhere between 500 and 600 miles in them.  I like to hunt the back country, so these have stood up to rugged terrain giving me full support.  I only wear them during hunting season, stump shooting or scouting.  The best $125 spent on my feet.  Next are socks.  Don't skimp.  Smart wool type socks are what you want.  They are not cheap either, about $14 a pair but worth it.  I have many pairs I have bought over the last 5-6 years that are in great shape. Again I only wear them hunting, stumpin or scouting.  For cold weather I have a pair of Lacrosse boots with 400 grams of thinsulate and gortex lined.  I have been very happy with these.  I got lucky and found them in the Danner outlet store for 1/2 price so they didn't set me back as much as I had planned on spending giving me more to buy some socks.

Prior to these boots I have worn Danners.  No matter what you buy if they do not fit correctly you will be sorry. Out here in the Northwest we have a chain of outdoor stores called REI and another one with a couple stores called the Mountain Shop.  Both have a great selection to choose from and a very knowledgeable staff to help get you into a pair of boots that will fit you correctly.  The 2 kinds I have have not needed to be broken in.  But if you buy a pair that is a little stiff spend 3-4 days of good hiking to break them in.   Buy the best you can afford.  It is to your benefit.  Your hunts will be more enjoyable.  If your feet are hurtin, it may cost you the shot of a lifetime.

Brock

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
Good socks.  Don't wear cotton!  Smartwool is my personal favorite.  
When you feel a "hot spot" coming on, stop and take off your boots and socks.  Drink some water, take a few minutes.  if you need too, put some duct tape or mole skin donut on then.  
Broken in boots.  That said, my favorite elk boots are a pair of LL Bean Maine hunting boots that don't lace.  Can't figure out for the life of me why I've never had a blister in them...
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Try a thick "winter weight" polypro sock. They wick the moisture away so well the toes will be dry but the outside soaking.

The way you lace your boots can make a big difference too. Tie an overhand or surgeons knot where the the ankle bend starts on your boot and cinch it down tight. Then go over and down with the first hooks that start up the leg.If you have eyelets skip the first one, got through the second then back down to the first, then up to the third. This will stop your foot from sliding forward in the boot on downhill walking.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Again great tips, thanks. That body glide sounds like good stuff i`l be checking that stuff out it sounds like its good for a lot of things   :thumbsup:   . I picked up a pair of cabelas whitetall hunter boots to day. They seem nice and are light weight with good soles i`l start braking them in.
Bull

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
I wear merino wool hiking socks, and a silk liner sock under those.
Footwear must fit well, and be well broke in. I wear Vasque hiking boots W/full steel shank for high country hunting. The flexible shank boots just kill me when walking in steep terrain, though others have no problems with them.
Carry 4-5 pairs of socks and liners. Change them often, and wash the used pairs at night if possible.
Moleskin can be a trip saver. Better to have some and not need it, then to need some and not have it.
Treat your boots well with whatever product the manufacturer recommends for a water proofing. Wet feet ain't going to be happy feet.
Lace the boots up as Noelkman recommends. THEN, after you have hiked for an hour or so, relace them to your liking, as your feet will swell a bit, and your boots may get tighter than you are comfortable with.
Don't try to dry your boots by a campfire unless you are WATCHING them! Burning your boots is not a good thing to do!   :knothead:  And don't ask how I knows this!   :banghead:

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
R.W.
THAT`S ONE TIP I ALL READY KNOW, LETS JUST SAY MY FOOT GOT VERY WARM    :campfire:
Bull

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Walk less, sit more. dave

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Of all the money you can spend on gear, boots and socks are NOT the place to skimp!  Nothing will ruin your hunt faster than blisters, and nothing will cause blisters faster than poor fitting boots and cheap socks.  But them now, and break them in all summer.  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Do though; just in case; take some moleskin with you...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
All of the above and put unscented underarm stick deodorant on your feet.
Your feet will stay dry and also slightly lubricated.
Works really good.

John

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
An ounce of cure.... but band-aid brand makes these little deals especially for blisters.  If you get a blister you just stick one of these things on and leave it for three or four days.  They are padded a little and they have some sort of medicine to help the blister heal.  They work great and the instant you put one on, problem solved.  They come in a silver box but I don't remember the exact name.  Walmart carries them, definately worth the four or five dollars!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I wear a silk or polypro liner sock (very thin) and a rag wool sock (very thick) over that.  Make sure your feet are dry.  I have never (knock on wood) gotten blisters yet.  I carry some band aids and have the "other stuff" back at the truck, but my way is to prevent it from happening in the first place.

As above.. don't underestimate downhill or side hill.  It is different and causes your feet to wear on ways you never dreamed of.  Keep you boots snug to fit your foot and be aware if something is not right down there.

Blisters are no fun.  I knew a guy who got them so bad on his second day that he was camp bound for several days after that.  I actually watched him walk up some hills backward (to keep pressure off his achilles area) so he could at least get somewhat back in the woods and maybe see an elk.
ChuckC

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »
I had never thought of using duck tape. I just carry athletic tape in my pack. I put it on before I hike. I never get blisters. Gary

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I have scar tissue on my heel from a scald years ago which is prone to blister. I've done a lot of mountain walking over the years and to prevent blisters I wrap the heel with micropore tape, the stuff they use to stick dressings on with. It's light, breathable and won't roll off until you want it to. But like everyone has said, you need well fitting boots and good socks to start with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©