3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What’s up with this YT clip? Hunting Setup doubting…..  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What’s up with this YT clip? Hunting Setup doubting…..
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2023, 09:11:20 PM »
Calling wide or multi blade heads bandages is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard here.

In my experience,  narrow 2 blades are inadequate and un ethical  on normal game here stateside.  If someone claims that animals don't move doesn't have enough experience to comment. 2nd most ridiculous statement I've heard here.

All my animals go down in sight.  Must not be hunting out of sight of the barn. 3rd most ridiculous.

When was the 1st Tradgang javie hunt here? And how many Solana hunts were there?

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2023, 01:55:49 AM »
I've been reading the thread enjoying the discussion...especially the broadhead thoughts. I'm a broadhead nut of sorts.

Regarding the video, it is what it is. Someone pointed out early on that pumpkins aren't deer. But...for the sake of argument IF pumpkins were deer, both pumpkins are dead and in the frying pan. There's nothing wrong with how the lighter bow/arrow performed as both bows shot the broadhead completely through. My son starting at age 11 shot 9 straight animals (one of these was a 125 pound pig) with his 33 pound Ben Pearson bow that he pulled 21" and with a two blade Eskimo light (1 1/16") before his first failed recovery

I would venture to guess that about as many, if not more, animals have been shot and recovered with broadheads that stayed within the body cavity than complete pass throughs with stickbows. I hunt historically in river basins where the timber tends to be more open. In this situation, I believe blood trails often are overrated as I can see them fall...or hear them 'thump' as they tip over of the ground. I have about 150  self-instances of reference to pull from.

Broadheads selection is very personal. Broadheads are often selected for tunability, bow poundage, looks, price, size, ease of sharpening and a million other reasons. My own choice with rare exception (turkeys!) has always been 1 1/8" two edge heads (usually Eskimo's, Razorheads, or Stingers). I've only killed about 10 hogs with these so my sample size is fairly small...but they worked with ease. My last boar was 245 pounds and I shot him with a 510 grain arrow, Bear Razorhead out of a  52 lb bow at 27" and I got a complete pass through at 14 yards. He went less than 50 yards.

Recovery is all about shot placement and how sharp your arrow is out of a well tuned setup. Bad shots lead to bad recoveries. Bigger broadheads can help in some instances; but at best oversized broadheads are more like a bandage...rather than a solution.

Of course your results may vary from my own. I just know what works for me.

It's all good.  As long as you are happy with your setup and it works for you.  I guess you could say that anything we use is a band-aid, lol.  Pencil thin broadhead worried about penetration or arrow tune, wide broadhead worried about blood trail.

I will say a couple of things that I have mentioned in the past  All double lung hits aren't equal, and all recoveries aren't equal.  If you find yourself hunting in hot conditions, a shorter or faster bloodtrain can really make the difference between usable meat and waste.  Don't get me started on hunting in an area with a high coyote density.  I have killed around 230 hogs with a stickbow, and I can promise you that every little bit can help.  You are right, though, in that I wouldn't advocate huge broadheads with a very low energy setup.

I doubt that may people would think that penetration is likely to be an issue on javelina, so I would be hard pressed to find a setup that wouldn't penetrate well with wider or multi blade broadheads.  I like the idea of recovering them a little more quickly if possible, plus, those little critters don't sit still all of the time.  I have essentially the same attitude on turkeys, but that is another matter.

In any case, no matter what one opts to use, as long as it is legal and allowed, I hope that more and more hunters get out there and put some animals on the ground and give us more data points to use in our debates.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
I just want to add a couple of points. My references and beliefs have been gathered by my experiances over 6 decades. I could see where a different game animal or terrain might lead a fellow to have a different conclusion than my own. Broadheads are pretty personal and I stated as such. Your results may vary.

A couple of points here need to be addressed. I never said animals don't move. Terry mentioned that earlier saying that I must think animals don't move. Neither did I say all my animals my down within sight; though many are. Arrows kill cleanly when they have sharp broadheads and proper placement. Animals do move regardless of the equipment and that fact requires us to keep our shots close. I never found larger heads make that much of a difference in recovery. I stand by my statement that if your counting on big heads to make up for a bad hit that your placing your hopes on a anatomical miracle.

Final point...narrow broadheads were defined as having less than 1 1/4" in width. Really? For anyone to say that Stingers, Black Diamond Eskimo's or Razorheads are inadequate is a little odd as the last two probably have taken more animals than all the others combined. I truly don't think that a 1/6" of an inch in extra width on each blade makes  makes one head the holy grail of lethality and the other one a dud.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 09:16:58 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2023, 06:54:50 AM »
A careful look at the video shows that the second arrow hits the back of the first arrow. That interrupts the arrow energy enough to make the pumpkin shooting video a bad example of performance.

But from now on I am going to refer to hog hunting as "plunkin punkins" -- as in "I'm going Punkin Plunkin and I hope I get a chance to plunk a punkin."

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2023, 08:25:50 AM »
Good stuff. And not sure if most people here realize who Cory is or his long history.  I see the comparison with the Laredo hunts and that's where I would heed my concerns. These hunts, as well as all the other Tradgang hunts, the Solana, TX Sweats, etc were all public right here, not he said she said. 

I also have been paying attention to how many of those Laredo vets have been reading this. I have a question also, how many vets have declined to go next year due to the no narrow broadhead mandate?
Get bamboo.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2023, 10:58:43 AM »
Russel, 2004 I believe.  The Solana hunts ran for over 12 years.

Boozle, no.  Most already know/knew about the skinny head issues, and the other's have found out and came back prepared and never looked back.  This mandate is to any new hunters coming to save them the grief as well as me. I don't mind tracking for others and coming out looking like a porcupine, but I hate it when its all in vein from a dead end narrow 2 blade track which happens way more often than not.

Oh, and I've tracked up on numerous *anatomical miracles* let me tell you, and have plenty of witnesses to prove it. Those so called *miracles* aren't rare.  Again, those that think shot placement is solely up to the shooter and those that think skinny heads are somehow going to save them with less damage and blood are very, very misguided.

I'm out, I have other things to attend to..... but I'll leave with this positive on skinny heads....

They have made me a MUCH better tracker over the years via bleak and non blood trail tracking.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2023, 04:37:06 PM »
Johnny, what weight field tip are you using?

Depends on build but am staying at 200 grains up front for 450-500 grain arrows.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2023, 12:46:58 PM »
Ok, let me see what I can round up for when I bring the target up.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 01:41:53 PM »
Re-up on account of this.  Great info .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©