3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow component advice?  (Read 241 times)

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow component advice?
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
I know I'll probably hear all of you laughing at this but I need a little help....again!
I have a little over a dozen 2018 legacy shafts a friend gave me and I decided to cut, fletch and nock them myself (so I could personalize them.) I know a 2018 is 20/64" outside diameter, reduced, the fraction is 5/16, so I ordered some 5/16 nocks and when I slide one on the tapered end of the arrow, it looks like a lot more of the bare aluminum taper is exposed outside of the nock
than on the shafts I had made at the local shop. Should I have ordered 11/32 nocks?
I also have some aluminum converta-point inserts that fit in the arrow just fine, but they measure 1/4" exactly on my digital caliper!
What size components, inserts, nocks, adapters do I need for 20 series aluminum Easton shafts and later for 21 series?
Another question: If the 5/16 is what I need then will the 5/16 brass inserts work in place of the aluminum ones? Or are they made for carbons only. I want to increase my FoC. With my 2018s cut to 29", I only have 15.5% with a 250 grain field point and 5.2% with a 150 grain woodsman broadhead.
Thanks again for all of your help! I thought I'd just buy a bow or two, order some arrows and shoot. I didn't think I would want to start customizing everything! But it is fun!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow component advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
Easton shafts aren't strictly "20" series or "21".

Your 2018's are 20/64 OD with a .018" (18 thou) wall thickness. Easton makes shafts from 2013 - 2020. That makes the ID different on each shaft so you need to buy inserts for the correct shaft size. The same applies to '21' or any other series.

I'm not sure a 5/16 nock is 5/16 in diameter or if they are labelled 5/16 to be used on a 5/16 shaft. As far as how much oif the taper they cover. Different nock maunfacturers have different collar lengths, or your local shop used larger dia nocks.

One more wrinkle to consider is that Easton makes some shafts with a reduced diameter nock end. You'll see a step down in shaft dia about an inch from the nock taper.

Your 2018 id is .312 -.018 -.018 =  .2765

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
As to your other question about getting weight up front, there are internal weight systems that allow you to add weight to the back of the insert (check your factory inserts to see if the thread goes all the way through it).  3-Rivers sells a PDP weight system - see the sponsors, above.  You may have to buy special inserts, or if you are heading toward using the brass ones, and still need additional weight, you may need to tap them.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
If you want to add the weight system just take an 8/32 tap and run it right through you std AL insert. No drilling or special tooling required.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Some of your aluminum inserts are already threaded at the back end and will accept an 8-32 thread.  I used to used long brass screws with the head cut off.  If my memory serves me correctly an inch will weigh around 40-50 grains.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Like Dan said, your I.D. is .2765. That leaves you .0125 all the way around for the glue, they will be the tightest just befor they are fully seated.

They make screw in points up to 250 gr for those. The 5/16 brass insers are for carbon arrows.

I got camo hunter and GGII 2018 and I can barely see a hairline of the the aluminum in front of the nock (5/16).

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©