3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow for inspiration!  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
New bow for inspiration!
« on: April 09, 2023, 01:09:51 PM »
So after my trip to Africa in 2017, I practiced a lot, I started to develop some pain in my elbow.  It wasn’t crazy at first.  Anytime I shoot my bow or lifted weights, basically put pressure on the joint it would Hoyt and throb for days.  Me being a meat head never really let it rest.  I finally went to the doctor after a year or so of fighting it.  He said it was arthritis and I need to give it a rest and said there was anything to do for it.  So I gave it a rest. 
It did get better.  As long as I don’t use it it’s good, but that isn’t an option.  I actually stopped shooting and lifting for a year.  I tried to shoot a compound and it is much easier on my elbow as the holding weight is a fraction of my trad bows. However I just didn’t enjoy it like I do traditional. So I bought a bow I had been looking for and it has given me inspiration to keep moving forward, pain and all, to do what I love. Hopefully I will be chasing Elk in the high country with it this year!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bow for inspiration!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 01:55:00 PM »
That's a nice looking bow. Who makes it, and what are the specs?
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Welcome back home Elksong.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 03:35:35 PM »
The bow is a Kempft Kwyk Styk 58” 55@28.

Thanks Cacciatore!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline goose_

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 03:42:53 PM »
Would dropping 10 pounds help? Maybe shoot a super light bow in the off season? Honestly post like this scare me. I’m only 25 but I have tendinitis in my left shoulder (I shoot lefty). I’ve pretty much decided I don’t wanna go higher than my current main which is #52. I hope you can find a solution.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 04:09:03 PM »
Good luck with that bow chasing Elk. Hope the elbow gets better!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 04:14:32 PM »
Beautiful bow but I'd find a better doctor.  I see a PMS doc monthly.  He works hard finding therapies and treatments for the abused portions of my body and keeps me in the fight.  Work, shooting, playing with grandkids.  I'm not saying a steroid shot or PRP injection would cure your issue but it may go a long ways in minimizing your discomfort during the activities you find necessary or enjoy.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 04:40:14 PM »
That's a sharp looking bow! Welcome back and take care of that elbow, you don't want to blow it out and get out on the shelf for good.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 05:14:57 PM »
Goose - if I go down in weight it does help a bit.  I have been shooting a lighter bow, but could talk myself into shooting one less than 50+ for Elk.

Gcook- my doctor just recently retired so I’m going to have to find a new one for sure.  I think I will shop for one that feels like he can treat this, or at least try.

Thanks WV if I blow it out maybe they can cut it off and make a prosthetic that will hold my bow!🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »
Glad you are shooting again Jason. I was wondering what you have been up to.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rufus_d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 08:47:44 PM »
Super recurves are helping me stay in the game. Some don't like them. They were game changing in my case.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 07:51:34 AM »
BPC-157 + TB 500

Get to googling. Youll be upset you spent so much time in pain when you coulda cured it in days.

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 09:05:35 AM »
Nice bow, welcome back!  I was going through the same issue. 

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
Nice looking bow sir!  If you can't find a traditional doctor to treat you, look for a non-traditional doctor that does prolo-therapy.  They may be able to help.  Mine fixed my elbow and shoulder for me. Good luck in your search AND in the mountains chasing Elk!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 12:17:54 PM »
look up Archery strong on Instagram he have some great tip on stretching. I have had elbow issues all my like his tips and Copper John elbow sleeve works great. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Jegs.mich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 06:07:18 PM »
I have arthritis in my bow arm shoulder. If you can discipline yourself to limit sugar it will help quite a bit.
Psalms 127:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 07:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the info all! I had to go outta town for work and just got home and saw everyone’s replies.  Looks like I have homework to do!  :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©