3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock grooves too narrow  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Nock grooves too narrow
« on: April 10, 2023, 08:35:42 AM »
I ordered a B55 Flemish string a while back.   I can’t remember, think it was 16 strand.   It’s on a 49#@28.   None of the nocks fit on the serving.   But I was thinking one day, will this get slightly smaller as it stretches?   Or should I either reserve or warm and adjust mocks. I know they say you shouldn’t incase the nick breaks apart on shooting the bow.    Just wondering as I’d reserve it and order the stuff. Only issue, is I wouldn’t know which serving to buy.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock grooves too narrow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »
i would personally go with new serving, let us know what nock you are using, someone here should have a similar set up and would more than likely point you in the right direction for the serving size that you need.
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 09:33:56 AM »
Think they’re gt nocks on the gold tip traditionals. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »
I make my own strings, and I use .021 serving on 14 strand strings made with BCY 10.  This combination seems to fit all the usual nocks, like the GT nock you mention.  I would imagine that the fit would be too tight if I used 16 strands of the same string material.  These days, the diameter of string material varies quite a bit from brand to brand, so I would imagine that one would have to experiment to find the correct fit with more modern brands than I use.

It's worth the money to get strings made by a custom string maker who asks that you send along a sample of the nocks you intend to use.  Then you are guaranteed to get the correct fit.  Or, learn to make them yourself, and you will eventually find something that works through trial and error.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 09:49:34 AM »
same as mine, i shoot 14 strand and my serving is either .019 or .021, i will check when i get home and let you know.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 12:36:29 PM by Smguinnip »
caught between:If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and can’t leave well enough alone.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 10:12:33 AM »
42423-58 Traditional B55 Flemish Recurve Bowstring Is what I ordered. Went back through my emails.  I’ll have to look on 3 rivers to see if they state the strand count.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 10:15:35 AM »
Below is the description on 3 rivers. This is the one I ordered. Looks like it’s a 16 strand.

High performance bows deserve quality strings to match. This Traditional B55 Flemish twist bow string gives any longbow or recurve a swift and deadly advantage.

Features 16 strands of quality tan and black B55 string material center served with a black Nylon serving. Using BCY's B55 string material makes this string safe to use on any bow. Offering more stretch in the material to be easier on bow tips. So a great string to use o

If anyone knew which serving size I’d buy some and try it.

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »
If you have a set of dial calipers you could measure your bare string to see what it would take to get your serving measurement  close to .105 that is what mine measures and the gt nocks fit good. I like mine a little on the loose side. (Subtract the string measurement from .105 then divide that # in half) if that makes any sense.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 04:37:03 PM »
Yes. Makes sense. Divide by half as serving around string.  It’s Flemish twist. How do you measure it as it’s not really that round per say.   It’s 16 strand.  I could use smaller serving than the 14 strand string mentioned earlier by mcdave , maybe as well. 

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 05:16:18 PM »
I would take multiple measurements and try to get an average while it’s still strung on the bow. My strings are 14 strand as well and I use .019 serving, so you will definitely need to use a smaller diameter serving. If you can’t happen to find what works for ya, I have two spools of b55 that I’ll never use up, I can twist you up one if you just cover the shipping cost. It would be 14 strand and two tone green if you don’t care about color.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 06:09:42 PM »
I’ll try. If not. I know where to find you. You go in the anorondacks much?    I use to know few people in sherburne, remain, boonville.  One man I spread his ashes in the mountains here.    He was a trapper   Use to come here moose hunting.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 01:40:53 AM »
Suggest you ask stringmaker what serving they used, then buy something smaller.  Used to be most serving was No. 4 nylon, which if memory hasn't failed me is .024 inch dia.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »
I really like the nock fit I get with .019 serving on my B55 strings. Right now I'm using Flex EVO15 and easton super nocks.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 10:43:11 AM »
get a new string you only need 12 strands for that weight .

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 09:12:43 AM »
I use a broadhead file,, put it in the arrow nock at the handle of the file and then pull through test the arrow nock on string after each pass... remember denny sturgis in the shoot better than ever video when he shows you how tight nocks should be,, been doing mine like that ever since.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2023, 06:33:12 PM »
Don’t remember how it was ordered now. Seems like I had to specify weight range but can’t remember.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 09:26:12 AM »
If a person doesn’t specify the number of strands, very commonly the string will come with 16 strands.  This is overkill in most cases, and results in poorer performance than a lower strand count would give, but I suppose if they sent a lower strand count where someone didn’t ask for one and it breaks, the company could have a problem.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 10:18:14 AM »
Ahh.  Didn't realized, I assumed it was like choosing an arrow spine.   A certain poundage required a certain number of strand count.   I just ordered some .019 BCY serving.   I might try reserving the string.  Maybe this serving is the same thats on it , I don't know.   I'll trying tighter wound.  I didn't serve one before, so we will see.     I ordered some GT traditional classic xt's as well, in 500 spine for this "roots" recurve with this B55 string.  49#@28.   Hoping their the correct ones.  My 400's, GT trad carbons fly good with my martin savannah 55#.    Wish I could get the file correct to send.  Maybe you could see something it the arrow flight, but they seem to fly nice and straight with only flexing.  No wobble.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 11:08:49 AM »
Good luck with the .019 serving.  I think you're on the right track, although as you said, it is possible that they used .019 on the string when they made it.  Either way, if you get into string making or need to reserve other strings, you'll eventually need some .019, so it won't go wasted.  Hopefully you also either already have or ordered a string server tool.  I have several different ones, and they all work.  If you want the Cadillac of string servers, get yourself a Beiter.  The same thing is true with servers as with serving.  Eventually you'll want several different servers with different sizes of serving on them so you don't have to reload a server every time you want to use a different size of serving.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Smguinnip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 11:29:04 AM »
A little “out of the box “ thought, but when you take the serving off, you could untwist the string to where it meets the tight braids toward the ends of the string and cut one strand of each color near the center then cut the same strand off where the twists start again giving you a 14 strand string, retwist the string and serve with the.019. This should fit your gt nocks well. Just don’t untwist too far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©