3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Actual bow weight  (Read 1279 times)

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Actual bow weight
« on: April 10, 2023, 04:37:18 PM »
Have you ever been surprised by the actual draw weight of a bow when you finally get around to putting it on an accurate scale? My PSE Talon is marked as 45# @ 28" which in theory should put it around 60# @ 33" (my draw length following some major fixes I made to my shooting frame in the last couple years). I finally got to put it on a scale today and found that it is actually 52# @ 28" and 66# @ 33". No wonder I got wore out after about 20 arrows when I went shooting the other day.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Actual bow weight
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 06:28:59 PM »
I have heard that bows poundages are measured differently by different builders.Dont know much about that.Seems it should be measured universally the same way.

I wonder about scales being calibrated the same way.Seems thier could be a different reading going from one scale to another.Even of the same brand or type of scale?Not sure.Just a question.

I suppose some bows could be mismarked by whoever built it on accident or on purpose in some situations.

You see bows for sale where the Bowyer marks the poundage.The seller says its marked say 40 pounds but scales 3-4 pounds heavier on thier scale.it could be lighter as well than its marked.So who's scale is right and who's is wrong.

A guy certainly does not want to buy a bow custom bow within 2 pounds or less of his requested weight and have it come in 3 pounds or more too heavy or too light.

Good question you asked.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 06:34:49 PM »
WVbowhunter, curious if you could do a draw force at 28,29,30,31,32,33 and see if you are getting some stacking at the back end. 33" draw is very long.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »
Katman that may end up being my weekend project if I don't get stuck working.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 07:10:11 PM »
Well yaa.Stacking could always be possible and happans.A 33 inch draw is way above average.Alot of bows would stack going that far and some will stack at a lesser draw than that for sure.I have had bows gain 6-7 pounds in one inch of draw after they hit the wall and I dont draw anywhere near 33 inches.Most bows will do fine out to the average draw length with no stacking or very little and many beyond that average draw length.33" aint average.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 08:07:51 PM »
I'm surprised it's not more than 66#.  It's still building weight at less than 3# per inch the last five inches.  That's quite good, certainly within what would be considered a normal range.  I suspect it's building at quite a bit less than that until the last two inches, when it likely shoots up substantially  As others have said, 33 inches is an extremely long draw length 

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 10:50:07 PM »
I just happened to weigh some bows a few days ago.  No big surprises.

21st Century Nova marked 55# was 56# at 28".
21st Century Saturn marked 55# was 54#.
Jerry Hill PSE longbow marked 55# was 54#.
Jerry Hill Wildcat II longbow marked 55# was 53#.
A glass laminated bow I made seven years ago was 55# is now 53#. ??

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 10:51:22 AM »
Most bows lose a little weight after being strung for a while . Who's scale is accurate you would need weights to find out and are you measuring the draw length right on the bow, lots of variables . If bowyers are honest about this they are going to be more accurate

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »
I'm surprised it's not more than 66#.  It's still building weight at less than 3# per inch the last five inches.  That's quite good, certainly within what would be considered a normal range.  I suspect it's building at quite a bit less than that until the last two inches, when it likely shoots up substantially  As others have said, 33 inches is an extremely long draw length

I agree with Orion… That is a pretty impressive PPI from 28-33” draw only gaining 14 pounds starting at 52 @ 28”  . There are many limb designs out there that could not do that.

I’d love to see the string angle at full draw on that bow… I’d say it’s a winner!
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 03:14:32 PM »
What is the length of the bow? and do you have photos of it unstrung, braced,  and full draw?

I'd really like to see these limbs....Different limb designs have different draw cycles at different lengths.
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©