3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't resist the urge for an ILF  (Read 1222 times)

Offline STR8SHOOTR

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't resist the urge for an ILF
« on: April 12, 2023, 03:01:48 AM »
As far as traditional archery goes I've only hunted with longbows. I currently own an acs longbow that I love and have been very successful with. I was a national level target archer with a compound before making the switch to hunting with only traditional equipment. I have to say the ability to tune and own different limbs for different purposes has finally made me want to dive in to the ILF world. After due diligence I believe I want to go with a satori riser and DAS limbs. Also one of the purposes behind this is to have a set of limbs that my girlfriend could start shooting with. she's expressed interest in learning. I have a few questions though. I can't decide between a green riser or black riser. also in the interest of saving money are the DAS limbs a good choice? my current setup is 50lbs@27" which is my draw length. I would like to get some limbs for 30-32@25 for her and 55-60@27for me. I know I'm asking for a lot of information in one post and will most likely have more questions throughout this experience. Any help, insight or opinions are welcome!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't resist the urge for an ILF
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 04:03:20 AM »
I have two Satoris.  I don't love my Satori the way I love the custom wood bows I have; however, if I could only keep one bow, it would probably be one of the Satoris.  It is totally functional and versatile for any target or hunting use I would be likely to have, and if it gets lost or damaged on an airplane, who really gives a $hit; I could have another one just like it in a week or so.

Maybe, or maybe I would get some new Hoyt model that only exists in my imagination at this point.  However, the life cycle of the Satori has just about run its course, based on Hoyt's history of traditional bow models.  If you go back to the Gamemaster, and then the Tiburon, and then the Buffalo, their life cycle seems to be about 5 or so years, and then they are replaced by a newer model.  Something to keep in mind.

I don't know anything about the DAS limbs.  I bought one of the upper-end Hoyt limbs that were on sale at the time, and later bought the same limbs in a different weight on close-out when I decided to buy the second one (why would they be on close-out? See my comment above).  However, DAS has a good reputation, and they are no doubt good limbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Southpaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:18:53 AM »
I have a new set of DAS LB limbs and also a set from late last year, Epic Carbon ACS LB limbs of similar weights,
both set up on the same size 17" DAS risers with DAS fittings.
Like em both, the ACS is quicker by 8 fps with the same setup and weight but both are solid, quiet and fun to shoot.
The Dryad L's seem to be a bit smoother in the draw than the XL DAS's but just a tad - should be at 3X the price.

shot them side by side
- - - cause they won’t let me own a gun - - -

Offline STR8SHOOTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 01:12:48 PM »
Well y'all are starting to convince me that I'm thinking in the right direction.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
I would do some research before you make a final decision.Take your time before you shell out your cash.

Thier are so many choices in ILF for both limbs and risers and what combinations might fit you best overall for your 1st ILF bow.I would try and narrow it down as best you can as far as riser length and limb length for what your draw length is and what you want out of the bow and how you intend to use it.I would go with whatever gives the you the most versatility for your 1 st one.A bow that can do most anything you want to use it for

You can always buy more limbs and or risers down the road for different applications if you decide you like ILF bows and want a specialized bow.Like shorter,longer,lighter poundage,heavier poundage,3-D shooting,brush bow,blind bow,heavy riser,lighter weight riser etc.

You can often find used risers and limbs if you want to expand your horizens after buying that initial bow.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 03:17:13 PM »
As far as a versatile rig to start with at your draw of 27 ish.A 17 inch riser with medium limbs is a good place to start.Would make a 60 inch recurve.You could add longs or shorts and get a 58 or 62 inch bow.

Anyway the 17 inch riser is a good overall length and not too heavy or too light in the hand.19 pretty good as well overall.

I had 15,17 and 19 inch risers when I shot ILF.I think I had a mini 13 incher as well maybe.I had diamondwood risers,Phenolic with diamondwood,all phenolic and aluminum.

Good luck!:)

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 04:25:03 PM »
If you got the $$, then go to a reputable dealer that Carrie’s a variety and brands of ILF and DAS rigs. From there, shoot what you can and get what you want and the limbs for GF. That way you get to eliminate the MASS of confusion that comes with different manufacturers risers and limbs, the length numbers that can be made and the “expected” draw weights at each limb and riser combo. I have gone about this by getting a TBow, Satori knock-off, in 19” riser w/45#. I cannot tell you what poundage’s are vs what I got, but the one I got pulled 42# @ 27.5. I have since gotten a 15” and a 17” ILF risers and many limbs from “advertised” md to “advertised” long. One set of long bow ILF’S in 50#,  but mostly recurves in 45 & 50. All I got in the end were different length bows with pulling weight differences around 5-6#. Hint, shorter risers make for stronger than advertised poundage’s, it gets weird, but fun to play with but there are idiosyncrasies with what you end up in lengths so be prepped to get custome strings made or DIY. I found the 15 and 17 risers both required an additional .5” in string length to get good shooting brace heights. Best match up I have is the 19” TBow riser with 50# med Samick Sage ILF limbs. Nothing but limb saver stick ones 4” from riser and woolies and this bow is fast and quiet. Shoot wood arrows and you might not hear it shoot!  :bigsmyl: WARNING: It’s a long and deep rabbit hole, then there’s getting a lot more arrows…..

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 09:54:19 PM »
I got into ILF the inexpensive way, Warf, had a Bear compound riser converted to ILF. Now I have 4 risers including a Hoyt Excel . In my case it’s the grip that has to fit me. Next is length, I prefer a longer riser, 64” bow. But with ILF is is possible to make up what my mood wants that day. Like your wish to accommodate the lady I have loaned out one of my risers and low weight limbs a couple times now to family. Then it’s easy for them to increase weight if they desire.

Offline STR8SHOOTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 12:02:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for all of the information. It's nice to learn from your experience and past headaches rather than my own frustrating ignorance. I am thinking that I would like the 17" riser paired with short limbs for a 58" bow. any opinions on riser colors?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 07:16:36 AM »
DAS riser fan here, imo quieter limb connection and limbs can' t pop off when unstrung. Das limbs are very nice. My limb preference is the Uukha
sx50 for recurve and Dryad ACS longbow limbs. Due to the aggressive pad angle on the DAS 17" riser longbow limbs do pretty good. Many grip options for the DAS riser. Come in black and matt green. Good luck on your journey.
shoot straight shoot often

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 08:14:43 AM »
I personally enjoy the benefit of putting together an ILF rig to customize what I need at the moment without having to go to a custom bow to get it. So many options that I can even go from a recurve to longbow in seconds. I have also found that I don't need to spend way over my budget to get a great bow. The options in type of equipment to cost make ILF a great buy for me, one I can say is unequal. You can go as high as you like in price but I've found I don't really need to, there are excellent low cost options. Does it replace a fully custom bow made to your specifications, probably not. But I'm not that good at telling you the difference between a 1300 dollar bow bow vs a moderately priced on either, they both shoot the same to me.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »
I went with the Samick 17" Discovery and ILF longbow limbs and I tried recurve limbs. I went with the ILF set up, because I didn't want to  only use their limbs only. Some examples Bear Takedown, Das.-  limbs can be changed to ILF but that to me defeats the purpose of ILF. Sure you can order custom limbs they cost. On the bolt on limbs BOB LEE, Black Widow you can buy limbs and they will work but will not marry cosmetically to the riser without sending the riser in.  Just for the record I shoot longbow limbs.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 11:12:11 PM »
I just got into an ILF rig myself.  I had a DAS bow years ago and it was great, but I traded it off for something else, can't even remember what.  Mostly shot longbows after, and then left the trad bows behind for a few years for various reasons.  Although, I never stopped shooting my longbows, I wanted to get serious again and start hunting with a trad bow.  Looked into the ILF bows for the performance and tuneability. My research took me to an EXE Scream riser and a set of Nika N3 limbs.  Made an adjustable strike plate with an old springy rest and bought a new string from Allen at Tenring Strings and got my bow tuned and shooting VERY quietly.  Couldn't be happier with the setup.  Shooting the same arrows from my 50#@28" longbow at 43#@29" with my 62" recurve.  Just killed a turkey with it and plan to shoot a black bear early this fall, before chasing Iowa whitetails with it. 

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 09:49:21 AM »
I will second what LEFTY said about the Nika N3 limbs. For $280 they are outstanding and shoot as good or better than any custom bow I own. I have a set of Uukha SX50 coming to compare, they are the same as the Uukha Gobi's but the Gobi's come in 5# increments and the SX50 come in 2# increments. Lots of great ILF limbs out there but when I did some research it came down to the Nika N3 and the Uukha SX50 (Gobi). I think you could spend a lot more money and not get better limbs. I am loving the versatility of being able to quickly attach different weight and length limbs with the ILF system.

Offline STR8SHOOTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 06:25:48 PM »
All great options and things to think about! I appreciate ya'll.

Offline Sojurn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 07:36:03 PM »
I have... to many bows if I'm being honest. Who can be truly accurate if they don't focus on one or three? But one of them is a Satori. Mine is a 19" Green and I love it. Not in the way I love my custom pretty, hand crafted with care and precision exotic wood bows. But in the way that if its hanging up during an almost tornado at Kentucky Tradfest overnight, who cares? its aluminum. and the limbs are carbon fiber and fiber glass. Not having to worry about your equipment is its own kind of luxury.
  Personally I wouldn't worry to much about the color. Find some stencils and spray paint it. Aluminum doesn't have a soul so you cant hurt the bows feelings, and you can always clean it off later.
  I also recommend giving the Uuhka limbs a good look. Well worth the money, and the slight feeling of perceived let-off they give is fantastic. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©