3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting not????  (Read 1969 times)

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting not????
« on: April 17, 2023, 02:27:21 PM »
I just have to say thanks to those that keep Tradgang Bowhunting, and have so for so long. I'm not here for nibbs, target, or field archery.

:campfire:

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting not????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 04:16:11 PM »
     :clapper:     :archer2:     :archer:
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 12:04:51 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
Yup, agree.  I think hunting and a 'keep it simple' mindset is the lifesblood of where archery came from and largely was until the advent of modern Olympic-style gear, techniques and marketing approaches that have made it more of a commercial opportunity.  Not that there's anything wrong with archery as a business, and certainly target archery is a fine sport and deserves it's due, but from a practical and stylistic standpoint target and hunting archery are quite different in key areas.  Hunting-style (and gear...but that's for another discussion) should have it's own identity as should target archery.  They deserve their own identities.  In a sense, making the two into one 'hybrid traditional' and looking the other way as if they are the same thing does a dis-service to both, as it also does to the early pioneers and current followers of simple (and far less glorious or lucrative) hunting-style.

I guess you could say we should all try to get along with each other, but then getting along doesn't always mean we all should wear the same clothes, drive the same car, eat the same food or prefer the same approach to how we live our lives.  Archery, and respecting the identities of each version of it, is really no different. 

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »
That’s why I am here
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 01:28:12 PM »
Ditto.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 01:47:50 PM »
Oh Yeah :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
Amen!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 08:18:06 PM »
The Trad Gang folks do and awesome job.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 11:31:21 PM »
So what does that mean?  I mean I understand that Olympic style target archery is a different animal.  But 3D on the other hand is something that helps me be prepared for hunting.  The animals at various ranges and angles and the pressure of making the shot.  When I have flesh and fur in front of me what gives me the confidence that I can is because I have.
So not all target archery is wasted archery.  Shooting foam or spots can help you be a better archer.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 04:06:33 AM »
Sure thing Gerald.3-D and shooting foam and bag targets in the yard is excellant practice as well as stump shooting.Just make it interesting by shooting from different positions and scenarios like you find in the real world of hunting.Shooting from elevated positions for the tree stand guys as well.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 09:40:57 AM »
I agree with the OP more than I don't. I was drawn back to the forum after several years because I liked the forum's culture of a stronger traditional hunting focus.... than what I was seeing in some other places. The "respect' required for participation was a real plus as well.

That said, people are unique and what one individual see's as "proper" (by whatever context you choose to use) doesn't necessarily find favor with another. I've been reminded of that on a few of my own past post. People are going to believe whatever they want to believe.

This is a really good forum if one just keeps that in mind.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 09:48:05 AM »
There are a lot of guys that spend WAY more time shooting 3D than they ever do hunting…. But shooting 3D is all about hunting and training in realistic shooting conditions….  Even back in my compound bow hunting years, we shot a lot of 3D and rarely used the stakes to shoot from.

I’ve got a group I used to shoot with a lot that were all hard core hunters. We had a ball on a 3D course shooting through tree branches and brush and learning what windows you can shoot through, and which ones you couldn’t. It teaches you to NEVER focus on that branch hanging over the trail. Focus on your point of impact and figure out whether your arrow goes over or under it…. Good hunting training…. 

Btw…. Yup…we trash a lot of arrows doing this, but it makes a better archer out of you. Good sport!     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 07:51:24 PM »
Well dang, I'm just here to learn something.  :archer2:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 06:24:11 PM »
The Chester shoot this weekend is 40 targets.  No gimmes.  Brush, trees, longer shots, shorter shots.  No gifts.  If you were in the woods trying to squeeze through an arrow, on the savannah trying to get that lion in the grass, caribou on the tundra . . .
If you can come out here and make the uphill, downhill, shooting from your knees through trees shots in a real 3D shoot like this, then you should be hunt ready.
But reality is, most folks are find the challenge is daunting and . . . What drives them.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2023, 09:08:22 PM »
GCook, kind of shoot we did at first years ago. But then we started getting too many “whiny babies” complaining about losing arrows. Club went to a “target archery” type shoots which pretty much all around anymore.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 05:56:26 AM »
I’ busted. Never hunted, always wanted to. I am a self proclaimed dreamer and archery wanna be. I shoot paper, bags, cardboard and foam, just to get to a point that if I do ever get my feet in the woods with a bow and quiver of arrows, I can at least do what I dreamed doing, feeding myself with a stick and string. I get this is a hunting forum, but don’t take it away from dreamers like my, I pay dues too. Right now I just get the experience vicariously through you fellow hunting members! Would love to try a 3D shoot but I am just too isolated to do anything more than backyard busting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©