3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My G. Fred Asbell Arrow Build  (Read 2791 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My G. Fred Asbell Arrow Build
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2023, 09:15:34 AM »
I own every single book Fred wrote and he only mentioned 5.5" parabolic feathers. The picture with Fred in the wool is of 5.5" Shields. Any insite?

Fred had probably 1000 arrows in his house...He had every fletching ever conceived of. He did like 5.5 inch high back parabolic the best. But he had dozens of shield cut. We disagreed on banana cut. I love them, he thought they were loud.
Funny about the banana fletch .........  I feel the same way about them being loud.  High back bananas anyhow.  I tried to make them work at one point so badly because I just think they look so cool  :biglaugh:,  but I couldn't ignore the extra noise so I abandon ship on that venture. Lots of folks love them too though and that's cool.  I like seeing them on peoples arrows  :thumbsup:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
I own every single book Fred wrote and he only mentioned 5.5" parabolic feathers. The picture with Fred in the wool is of 5.5" Shields. Any insite?

Fred had probably 1000 arrows in his house...He had every fletching ever conceived of. He did like 5.5 inch high back parabolic the best. But he had dozens of shield cut. We disagreed on banana cut. I love them, he thought they were loud.
Funny about the banana fletch .........  I feel the same way about them being loud.  High back bananas anyhow.  I tried to make them work at one point so badly because I just think they look so cool  :biglaugh:,  but I couldn't ignore the extra noise so I abandon ship on that venture. Lots of folks love them too though and that's cool.  I like seeing them on peoples arrows  :thumbsup:

Yeah I have killed a pretty good pile of deer with banana fletch, even sometimes 4 fletch bananas. Fred called them my "flu-flu" arrows. If they were loud the deer didn't know it :biglaugh:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »
Roger, do you know what year that pic of Fred is from? Reason I ask is I built him a dozen arrows that mirror those, as we hunted together in Quebec and stayed in our hotel room on the way back. His was double booked and he had no where to stay. We let him stay in our room, as I slept on the floor. He insisted on paying for the room and dinner, I had to do something. Made the arrows to his specs and sent them to him. He wrote my a really nice letter back thanking me, and we talked about the trip often. One of my fondest memories.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 10:04:28 PM »
I can’t help but to add a comment about Theresa.  I mentioned that a few of my interactions with Fred were while camping at shoots. Theresa was a part of those interactions and first, you knew Fred and Theresa belonged together.  You just saw the love and respect in their interactions.  Second, Theresa’s Dutch oven skills are second to none.  Back in the 90’s at a shoot in Grayling, MI she produced a peach or pineapple upside down cake one evening after dinner that was world class.  My heart feels for Theresa’s loss. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2023, 12:08:35 AM »
Awesome looking arrows and a great way to honor Mr. Fred.

I always enjoyed talking to Fred and Teresa at the bow shoots. They have contributed so much to traditional archery.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2023, 08:33:40 AM »
I have the fletching and shafts on order....still contemplating what paint to use.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2023, 06:51:50 PM »
Met and talked with Fred at PBS San Antonio.  Mentioned to him that I shot a "straight limbed" recurve (MOAB).  He chuckled and said "you don't know how often a phrase will come back to you after you say it."  He had written that in one of his Instinctive shooting books.  I have them all.  He also was at the dinner table with the Wensel brothers and me, with others.  Fine man!!!

:campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire: [size=78%] [/size]
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2023, 08:05:45 AM »
Good morning Roger,
I remember those arrows of Fred’s from a book or magazine article somewhere. I always liked the look.
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2023, 06:22:47 PM »
NICE!  Looks like 1/4 " Helical. Haven't seen that in a while.

Can't wait to see them.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©