3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My G. Fred Asbell Arrow Build  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My G. Fred Asbell Arrow Build
« on: April 18, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »
Good Morning TradGang....I am sitting here contemplating my arrows for this fall, and I thought I might share an idea.

I decided a few weeks ago that I would fletch a set of arrows in memory of my friend Fred Asbell. One of my greatest friendships in life was that with Fred and Teresa. (Bizarrely, Teresa is calling me as I type this, I will call her back in a minute).

I have always admired Fred's arrows, he was pretty consistent with a long red dip and red feathers. It was Fred that got me using all one color in the fletching, he thought that an odd color cock feather sometimes gave him a false sense of poor flight. I agree.

I thought I was going to duplicate the arrows in picture #1, but then Tim Cosgrove (former owner of Kustom King) sent me a picture of an older arrow of Fred's. Tim built A LOT of arrows for Fred, and the picture he sent was a sample that Fred sent him back in the late 80's. I like 5.5 inch high back parabolics, so I may blend these 2 designs into one representative arrow.

Ray Lyon correctly suggested cedar arrows....but I will be building these on wood grain carbon shafts. It is true that Fred always shot wood arrows. We discussed carbons, having a friendly debate about them several years ago in his office. I made some pretty good points, and in the end we sipped a scotch and laughed about it... :biglaugh:

I am building these for my Black Widow (with Asbell Grip) that I am waiting on a new set of limbs for...so right now I am gathering materials without committing to a shaft and point weight. I also haven't decided on a broadhead yet....I usually use Ace, but may deviate this year if it makes sense in this build. I will update this thread as I go along, I would love to hear from any others who might do the same thing. Anyway....remembering my friend....as he used to say "shoot em in the face!"
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My G. Fred Asbell Arrow Build
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 10:24:12 AM »
Wow! Never seen a fletching jig with a 90 degree twist helical like that before. Definitely get some spin out of those…. What jig was used for those?
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 10:31:27 AM »
I think that was an ancient Bitzenburg.....my BPE puts a helical on pretty close to that.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 10:41:12 AM »
Fred was a fantastic human.  One of my favorite hunts was when Roger and Fred were in the Shrewhaven camp.  Fred was an incredible conversationalist.  Great tribute Roger.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 10:50:12 AM »
Roger,  I only met Fred 1 time,  believe it was ETAR 2015 and it was pretty much a simple "Nice to meet you Sir ......." and he had a bunch of other folks around him wanting to talk so I didn't take up much of his time ........
I will never forget his arrows ....... they were laying there on the table with some of his other tackle,  beautiful wood arrows,  and what jumped out to me was 23/64!  I mean to me they looked like broomsticks because of the width, me having shot only 11/32 or carbon.   I've never known anybody to shoot 23/64 personally.  But that mental picture stays with me ..........
Do you know,  did he shoot them fat woodies all the time?  Once in a while?  Thinking maybe a G.Fred arrow ought to be 23/64 if so?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 10:53:35 AM »
We never discussed 23/64 vs other diameters, and I really don't know. Maybe Tim Cosgrove or an arrow maker who recently built for Fred will chime in.

For my build, I won't be duplicating them exactly. I'm really doing it just for me...a personal tribute.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 11:02:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Roger. Fred was such a huge influence on the trad bowhunter community. Can't wait to see pics of the arrow build.  :archer2:
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 11:12:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Roger. Fred was such a huge influence on the trad bowhunter community. Can't wait to see pics of the arrow build.  :archer2:
Same here,  well stated,  me too  :campfire:

Online streamguy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 01:09:50 PM »
I only met Fred once and, as was mentioned above, there was always a crowd around him.  But when I was an 18 yr old kid with no archers in the family to learn from, I sent him a number of letters with a series of beginner questions.  He always responded and was instrumental in helping me get started shooting and hunting.  He used to shoot what would now be considered heavy bows (65-75#), I believe.  I could often only find cedar in 23/64 at those spines.

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »
Nice tribute, Fred was one of the greats.
Back in the 80's Fred told me he used a JoJan multi fletcher to get that much helical, he said he had to alter the jig to get that much helical.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »
Back in the 80's Fred told me he used a JoJan multi fletcher to get that much helical, he said he had to alter the jig to get that much helical.

Thank you!

G. Fred Asbell

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 04:34:43 PM »
Very nice tribute Roger, I'm sure what ever you come up with will look great!!!  I was amazed at the amount of helical on the arrow in the picture, looks like the twist in a drill bit. (gives a whole new meaning to drilled it!)   :laughing:  Missed their both in Kalamazoo this year, it's one of my favorite ones to stop and browse and chat at.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Maclean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 05:40:02 PM »

I still have and use a JoJan. The 2nd pic brings a whole new meaning to helical twist. I wonder how Fred modified the jig to get that much helical, it's pretty extreme.
Toelke Chinook 58" 52@28
Toelke Pika 54" 50@28
Toelke Whip 64" 42@28
Java Man Elkheart Magnum 52" 48@28
Centaur Longbow 60" 50@28
Black Widow PL III 62" 53@28

Idaho Traditional Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 06:19:49 PM »
G. Fred’s books and articles were my guide into traditional shooting and bowhunting. Both my black widows have the asbell grip which I love. Bringing out the gfa quiver this year in Fred’s memory. What an influence he has been!
J
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 08:29:37 PM »
I own every single book Fred wrote and he only mentioned 5.5" parabolic feathers. The picture with Fred in the wool is of 5.5" Shields. Any insite?

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 09:34:04 PM »
 In the 80's and into the 90's I was lucky to spend time with Fred at various PBS and P&Y events and also Colorado Bowhunters events.
When I started shooting wood I ordered them from Kustom King, and as I wanted to make my own
Fred gave me a lot of advice.
I just grabbed my Instinctive Shooting book and chapter 10 tells how to make arrows and under fletching he states that The Multi Fletcher  can be adjusted to put more helical than any other.

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 08:41:01 PM »
I own every single book Fred wrote and he only mentioned 5.5" parabolic feathers. The picture with Fred in the wool is of 5.5" Shields. Any insite?

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 09:07:19 PM »

Fred had probably 1000 arrows in his house...He had every fletching ever conceived of. He did like 5.5 inch high back parabolic the best. But he had dozens of shield cut. We disagreed on banana cut. I love them, he thought they were loud.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline BWlongbow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 08:40:19 AM »
I was fortunate enough to hunt with Mr. Asbel a couple of times on Alabama deer hunts. He was a great guy and very knowledgeable about aspects of shooting bows. I hated to hear of his passing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©