3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wrong arrows?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Wrong arrows?
« on: April 19, 2023, 02:59:40 AM »
I just ordered a 6 pack of gt traditional classic xts.    I’d have to say, everything I look at in relation to spine charts, points me to a 400 spine. The bow is a 49 lb roots recurve. I put a b55 Flemish twist on it.    I ordered 500 spine.    Before the order went out I wrote gold tip and literally near the same time I receive the “ my order was sent” email, gold tip wrote back. And he recommended 400s.   Did I order the wrong arrows. Can I get these to work?  I draw 26.5-27 I believe.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Re: Wrong arrows?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 03:06:40 AM »
I know also that it would come to a heavy arrow if I order a pack of 400s. For my other bow, I built a set using the gt traditional arrows in 400s.  They’re 9.3 gpi, 125 grain tips, 50 gr insert. 12 grain nock, 7” wraps, three sheild cuts, and the arrows come out 520 grains.  Not the 480 or whatvever the calculator shows up.  So the clastic xt’s will be pretty heavy for a 47lb draw I’m likely drawing. As those are almost 2 gpi more, and the insert is also 30 gr more. 

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 07:58:56 AM »
Trust me.. Gold tip knows nothing of traditional bows.. I dealt with those guys for many years. Easton and most of the other manufacturers don't either. Charts can't possibly take in all of the variables.

You did the right thing. A long 500 is what you need and you are more likely drawing 45-46 lbs.. older bow, with dacron string.. possible that you may need a 600 spine
BigJim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 08:14:59 AM by BigJim »
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 08:07:46 AM »
Listen to Big Jim!,  he is very correct about the spine that'll best suit you for the specs you described.  Save you a bunch of aggravation!

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 08:22:30 AM »
Ok.  I’ll wait for them to come in the mail. I have another 8 days at work so hoping they’re here by then.    I have 400s for my Savannah.   And Jim, as soon as I feel safer about this job, you’ll be making me a thunderchild!!     Let’s see how I can get these to fly when they come.    One other question someone may be able to answer.  I tried removing the gt trad label which I actually like more than the others but couldn’t do it just rubbing acetone on.   Are the classic xt label easier?   I watched one guy on YouTube just wipe it off with a bit of acetone and some elbow grease.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
I agree with Big Jim, although I couldn’t see myself ever using .600 spine arrows with your setup.  Don’t be too quick to cut the arrows; you might want them considerably longer than your draw length to fly well.  To reinforce, Gold Tip .500 spine arrows used to be called 35-55, meaning they were spined to be used with bows from 35-55 pounds, so you would be right in the middle of that range.

Now, it is possible with some EFOC weight up front, considerable more than 200 grains, a .400 spine shaft could be appropriate, particularly if a person were drawing more than 28”, but in your case, which is close to my case, I would say .500.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 08:52:27 AM »
Good. I worried I bought them for nothing.  I wish I could post a video.  I’d send my current arrow flight with my 55lb savannah, 400 spines gt trads, with 50gr inserts and 125 tips. I’m thinking I cut them 30.5”. They seem to fly good.  I may bareshaft again just to see as I get use to releasing again and draw easier.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 09:44:04 AM »
So.. I think I missed the classic part and assumed that you bought the trads.. Same advice, however I don't think you will like them as much. The trad classic is way too heavy of a shaft and combined with even moderate foc will give you a very lethargic arrow. To take the labels off, scuff them with some steel wool before using acetone.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
Hmmm.   Yeah, just adding components for my gt traditionals, on paper they will come out 40 grains heavier in reality.  My gt trads are 35-40 grains heavier than the calculator says. 

So if the classics are 40 grains heavier again on paper, that would make them 560 grains if similar lengths in reality , but with the lower poundage recurve .   Longbow 55 lbs and the recurve is 49 lbs.    I’m only drawing 27” too or a hair less. So I figure it would be over 12 gpp

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 10:02:52 AM »
Maybe I can use these half dozen 500s for my 55 lb savannah.  It would be approx
10.5 gpp id guess.   I’m about 10 now.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 11:53:12 AM »
You absolutely will be able to use the 500 spine out of your Savannah.
Truth is,  with the draw weights you have mentioned and your draw length of 27 (or less?),  you would be fighting an uphill battle......with both hands tied behind your back and a bum leg,  trying to get them 400's to fly well.  At least I did (very similar specs for me and my stuff).  I "been there".......and I could  not "do that".
Many different bows ranging from 45# to 53# @ 28
I draw 27 spot on.
For carbon,  all 500 spine  (GT trads in the past, recently all Easton Carbon legacy.....no more GT for me)
Shaft cut to 29.25, factory insert,  200 gr field point,  235 broadhead (75gr steel adapter,  160gr VPA 3 blade)
Flight is as nice as I've ever seen or could hope for......my ammo is never to blame for my shooting.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 12:26:16 PM »
Ok.  My gt trads seem to flight straight. 5” shields.  It seemed pretty straight at 15 yards bareshaft.  But I’d like to try again.   I took a few slo mo vids and except the flexing ( even out to 40 yards) I couldn’t see no erratic behaviour.  Wish I could post it here just to see everyone’s thoughts on it.  I’m away for a nother week. But I thought they’re 30.5”. 125 heads with 50 grain inserts.  400 spine. 12 gr nocks, 7” wraps.

Maybe once I tune these 500s.  I’ll think my 400s fly terrible.   I did place the camera 40 yards away and the arrow looked straight and smooth coming towards camera
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 12:31:23 PM by Vroomvroom »

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 01:05:37 PM »
Ok.  My gt trads seem to flight straight. 5” shields.  It seemed pretty straight at 15 yards bareshaft.  But I’d like to try again.   I took a few slo mo vids and except the flexing ( even out to 40 yards) I couldn’t see no erratic behaviour.  Wish I could post it here just to see everyone’s thoughts on it.  I’m away for a nother week. But I thought they’re 30.5”. 125 heads with 50 grain inserts.  400 spine. 12 gr nocks, 7” wraps.

Maybe once I tune these 500s.  I’ll think my 400s fly terrible.   I did place the camera 40 yards away and the arrow looked straight and smooth coming towards camera

Ok....... if your arrow is stiff (too stiff, wrong spine) you are even less likely to see flexing.  A too stiff arrow will fly off the bow,  pretty straight too........ but it isn't going to connect at the target where you are looking.  You can shoot an arrow that is way too stiff.....and if you are ok with holding way to the right of what you want to hit with that arrow,  you can put the arrow on a spot.  But that is not how you want to go about it!  You want to be able to hold right on your target with your bow hand,  burn a hole in the ten ring with your eyes and release the arrow and have it hit that spot exactly where you were focusing.  "Holding over" with an arrow that is too stiff is not something you want to entertain. 
Also,  get the bare shafts going out to 20+.  You should expect them to sort of snake to the target.......but if the arrow build is correct, you will hit dead on what you are looking at with no nock left, right, up, down. 

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 05:33:02 PM »
They seem ok.  I aim down the arrow, and other than compensating for trajectory, they go straight to the target.   I’ve aimed at trees 70 yards away and  other than having to aim really high, the arrow went straight toward that vertical line.  I see movement in the arrow, but when I look at slow motion videos it appears what I see is the arrow flexing while rotating.   

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 06:05:56 PM »
the g t classic is a skinny arrow i believe , so your inserts wont fit them. (i might be wrong but im pretty sure, because i have some collecting dust somewhere.  i should check before i said anything. oh well.  :biglaugh:
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 06:20:35 PM »
Yes they are skinny.  Smaller diameter. They come with the nocks and inserts. I will install them myself but I believe it comes with that.  I’ll cut them until they seem ok bareshaft a little ways and then wrap and fletch.  Glue the insert in.  I wanted to try the ballistic collar for stumping. But wondering if I shouldn’t have just ordered the traditionals.   These smaller diameters are a bit heavier and hoping my spine is correct. I only ordered half dozen.  We’ll see

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 06:29:01 PM »
thats why i said something, they come with standard lightweight inserts. you will have to order heavier inserts if you want more weight up front. without using oversized field points.
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 06:32:41 PM »
Oh.    I better check. I assumed the “ xt” was because they gave you the inserts and collar as opposed to just the classics.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 06:38:59 PM »
Yes, it says they come with the stainless inserts and collar

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 06:40:21 PM »
ok, im wrong . i was reffering to classic blems.  :knothead: