3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead Help!  (Read 187 times)

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead Help!
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I did some shooting tonight in my backyard and was shooting pretty well until I tried an arrow to see how it flew with some new Magnus screw-in 125's.  Everytime I shot my arrow with the broadhead it was real low.  I would then shoot 3 arrows with field tips and they were all going where I needed them to go.  I would then try the arrow with the broadhead and it was barely nicking my 3D.  I even changed the arrow with the broadhead because I thought something was wrong with it.  I got the same result.  Is this all in my head or do I need to change heads?  I worked on 4 of these last night and got them real sharp but am now scared to use them.  Going hog hunting again on Friday and I might need to make a change.  I have always shot vented two blades in the past but I wanted to try something solid because I think they are quieter.  Please Help!
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Probably "peeking" to see where they're going.

If you like the vented heads...don't worry about the "whistle" ...the hogs won't care.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
If it is not you then double check to make sure that you have the head mounted straight. If you changed the same head to different arrows and it does the same thing I think the head is mounted crooked and is planing on you.
  I wouldn't woory about a little noise from a head. They will feel it bafore they hear it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Curious.  Do you use point of aim or some aiming method using the tip ?   In days of old, broadheads very often flew differently than field points.  For various reasons.  It was not at all uncommon.  We used to practice with broadheads for quite some time before season to get "back on".  Could be all of the above and that is just ... the way it is.
ChuckC

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Your nocking point may be too high.  Just one possibility but an easy one to check.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Check your point alignment first, as it is easy to do, then adjust your nocking point a bit as SlowBow mentioned.  Broadheads are much more sensitive to tuning than are field points.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Those Magnus screw in with the glued in adaptors are not always glued in straight...
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
I agree, I think to you need to lower your nocking point a bit. Should bring them right up. It's not the non vent that's causing it.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the help...I am going to play with the nocking point tonight and use that as my starting point.  WADE
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
If your arrows are otherwise flying straight, it's your nock point.
Bernie

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
You might be subconsiously gapping, the broadhead is longer than a field point (esp when both are at 125 gr).  With the broadhead you're lowering the arrow to get the same visual gap, which makes your arrows impact lower on the target.  I had that happen to me on an antelope once.

Jason

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
Stip, I would 1st check the weight of the Broadhead and the weight of your field points.

If you are using an insert, a long one is 40-45grains and that will drop your arrow.

I could not disagree with the noise factor more, the speed of sound is over 700 feet per second and your arrow isn't even 200 feet per second, go with QUIT.

They will hear it long before they feel it if they ever feel it, because there long gone

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©