3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your favorite Hill bow?  (Read 397 times)

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
What's your favorite Hill bow?
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Which one of the Hill bows is your favorite and why.  I have a Big 5 and a Redman and I'm thinking of picking up another.  Leaning towards a Tembo or Wesley Special.  
Thanks,
Tom

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your favorite Hill bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Cheetah with extra lam of boo!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I have a Tembo and a Wesley Special.  The Wesley with 5 lams is smoother drawing.  That Tembo, 64", 60lbs@26, is 184.7 fps with a 675gr ash arrow.  I draw 28.5.  It has a whole different feel when you draw it.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
That's like asking a politition what's his favorite lie....too many choices and there all good un's!! I also have a Wesley (thanks again Mike) and a Tembo with carbon and love both of them! Like Bill said, the Wesley is very smooth but that Tembo packs a serious punch probably from the carbon lam. They all shoot good so pick the look that does it for ya and go for it! My list is an Owl, Cheetah, Crocodille with Ebony..there's something about that osage and ebony that just....awh heck, just give me one of each!!!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
My pet is a Tembo. - lbg

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
got 3 wesley , 2 cheetah, 1 halfbreed,1 tembo love them all,but my go2 bow is my 60@27 takedown cheetah 62in shoot great ,kill a cow elk last year
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
I have two Wesley's and a Big Five,one of my Wesley is a reverse handle,that one might be my favorite.But I would like to get a half-breed and a cheetah.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
I've shot quite a few Howard Hills, a couple of Jerry Hills, and a Pete George.  My favorite Hill bow, though, is Sunset Hill by Nate Steen.  It's 66" with a real short riser, 58 pounds at 27.5 inches.  It's not slow, has low handshock, and seems to be very accurate for me.  Give them a look.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
Mine...

It's a Redman.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
Cheetah- never owned one but shot one at there shop and its a beautiful bow; and shoots really nice!! I probably - probably would get an extra lam of boo too..
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:56:00 AM »
I have had many many Hill and "Hill" styled bows.whilst i love nad shoot all of them....my new all osage with ebony tips n' riser is the pick of the bunch.
Next is an all yew "union Jack" from Belcher....nice!!!! or a Redman from Craig just like Mr. Kleinig's

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
I liked the Big 5 I tried 2 years ago... It was a nice shooter for me...Didn't have the money to buy it....

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
I've had and shot over 40 Hills.  Liked just about every one.  I've personally never found the Wesley to be that noticeably smoother than the others, and I have had (and still have) several.  Mind you... darn fine... just not "Oh, my!  That's smoother than I'm used to."

My choices nowadays are two:  in the standard line, the Cheetah... always.  I've had a number of them and every one was super smooth and really beautiful.   However, some time back the HHL group worked with Craig to design our own bow, the Longbowman's Choice, and my most recent "go to" was the first one of those built.  With my shoulder problems causing me to drop weight, I just last week ordered another, 64" and 36# @ 25".  Construction will be osage, bamboo, an accent lam of cocobolo, bamboo and osage.   Riser and tips will be cocobolo.  The LBC inlay is the original Howard Hill broadhead done in silver.   Can't wait...

Dick in Seattle (temporarily in Cleveland)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
It’s hard to just pick one but the more that I shoot my Longbowmans choice in yew and the Longbowmans classic in Osage which I bought off of Dick the more I like them.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I like the Big 5s.  Had a half-breed that I also liked alot, but foolishly let slip through my hands.  A Cheetah is also on my list of Hills to get.  And maybe a Tembo, and a.........

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
I currently have a Wesley Special and a Big 5. If I were to order one today, it would probably be a Halfbreed. I have fond memories of one I let get away....
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I have three 75-pound Wesley Specials, two of them are take-downs, and they are my favorites. In fact, I rarely shoot the one-piece any more.

In addition to the little bit of extra weight in the handles making them shoot a little bit more accurately than my one-piece, I like the ability to quickly pull them apart and slip them into my daypack for a hike or bike ride into the mountains.

More importantly though, they are great for travling to hunting areas via jet or plane.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
My Cheetah.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
you guys are a good influence. I am now looking into a Redman, my third Hill-style bow (Wesley and a J. Schultz 'Grandpa')

Cary

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I am watching this thread with great interest. I cant remember ever shooting a Hill bow. I have been thinking about giving one a shot and have been to the site a few times. Wish there were more pics. I remember standing next to a fella at a shoot and he was shooting a Hill. I was looking at my target and all the sudden an arrow appeared in the next target. I didnt even hear his bow and I was only a few feet from him.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©