3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UBNJ Sponsors Youth Archery Team  (Read 976 times)

Offline Farmingdales Finest

• Trad Bowhunter
UBNJ Sponsors Youth Archery Team
« on: April 25, 2023, 08:53:50 PM »
The United Bowhunters of NJ is excited to bring a new youth program to kids!

We are forming an S3DA team. S3DA stands for scholastic three discipline archery. It involves youth learning indoor, outdoor and 3D archery. The program will be taught by certified S3DA coaches. The program is open for youth 6-18 yrs old who have their own equipment. There are college scholarships available to young adults classes based on their placement at the state championships.

Open to all 6-18, see you May 13th at Garden State Archers 110 Larrison Rd Wrightstown NJ at 10am.

For more info contact John Erndl [email protected]

Age groups:

JR Eagle 8 and under           
Eagle 9-11
Youth 12-14
Young Adult 15-17

Classes are

Barebow
Olympic recurve
Pins(Bowhunter class)
Open.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 08:25:59 PM by Farmingdales Finest »
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

United Bowhunters of NJ - Monmouth County Rep

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: UBNJ Sponsors Youth Archery Team
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 09:11:40 AM »
This is nice to see!!!  Get those kids of their phones.  :clapper:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 09:40:33 AM »
Your program sounds interesting.  I was a coach of a JOAD team last year, sponsored by the California Deer Association.  It was a good experience for some of the kids, but Cal Deer would like a program that is more bow hunting oriented, and less Olympic tournament archery oriented than JOAD.  I think most of the kids would agree with this sentiment, since they come from hunting families and would like to hunt also.

Therefore, this year we are offering classes outside of the JOAD organization with a more balanced focus on both target archery and 3D archery.  If some of the kids have the skills and interest, we may sponsor a couple of them in a JOAD tournament as well, if we can figure out how to do that.

I might be interested in becoming a S3DA coach if that program is available out here, because that seems to be the direction we're headed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 10:56:46 AM »
Obviously UBNJ is about Bowhunting. But S3DA also is focused on bringing Bowhunting to kids. 

I am the head coach.  You have to have a USA Archery level 2 or higher certification as well as taking an online course for S3DA and pass a a background check.  I compete locally both in Barebow 3D and Hunter class with the compound. We will be exposing the kids to all the forms of target as well as teaching about hunting.  I expect most to gravitate towards the compound and 3D.

Looking forward to getting the next generation excited about something besides video games. We need them for our heritage to survive and thrive!

Please pass this on to anyone you may know in NJ.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 11:34:56 AM by Farmingdales Finest »
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 07:24:47 PM »
Nice, yes, keep those kids involve.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 12:23:11 PM »
Please let anyone you know in NJ that have kids that may be interested in joining our new S3DA team we are meeting this Saturday at Garden State Archers in Wrightstown NJ at 10am!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 10:45:39 PM »
TTT

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
Curiosity?? Who is making sure equipment is correct? Safe? What is protocol if it isn’t? Being you’re ok w the compound, that could open lots issues.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 04:58:03 PM »
Not sure I understand your question.  We have to have the kids compliant for whatever the rules are for the various events. Whether that’s Barebow, Olympic Recurve, Bowhunter Compound or unlimited compound. 

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 05:42:29 PM »
You stated for kids who have their own equipment. A high percentage of the time when compounds are used the draw length is too long, occasionally too short. Couldn’t teach that way if you intend to show basic form. Sure you know that.
If some recurve or any bow really was stored up in the attic or garage rafters the string would be dry rotted, limbs shot, servings no good, out of time,  etc I’d think it’d be best to check gear first. Not to mention, eye dominance could be incorrect, bow weight too heavy, arrows improper spine, etc.
If you plan on no archery itself instruction  I don’t understand why the need for level 2 instructors. Seems you must be leaning towards the instruction. Seems like something is missing in what you’re attempting?
I had a fellow one time ask me to help with an instructional league. That’s a no go. First best if they learn to shoot, than a discipline like leagues, shoots, etc not doing so leads to issues since they’re not concentrating on what they’re doing, only the result of the shot in the short term.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:56:31 PM by Bowguy67 »
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 07:34:00 PM »
You stated for kids who have their own equipment. A high percentage of the time when compounds are used the draw length is too long, occasionally too short. Couldn’t teach that way if you intend to show basic form. Sure you know that.
If some recurve or any bow really was stored up in the attic or garage rafters the string would be dry rotted, limbs shot, servings no good, out of time,  etc I’d think it’d be best to check gear first. Not to mention, eye dominance could be incorrect, bow weight too heavy, arrows improper spine, etc.
If you plan on no archery itself instruction  I don’t understand why the need for level 2 instructors. Seems you must be leaning towards the instruction. Seems like something is missing in what you’re attempting?
I had a fellow one time ask me to help with an instructional league. That’s a no go. First best if they learn to shoot, than a discipline like leagues, shoots, etc not doing so leads to issues since they’re not concentrating on what they’re doing, only the result of the shot in the short term.

Not sure where you got the idea of no instruction. Also there is no way we are going to allow a kid to shoot an unsafe set up.

We had 3 kids at the first meeting two bothers 8 and 10 and another HS kid. The older kid I have personally shot 3D with and he can hold his own with the adults. His father is one of the best shooters in our state and he has beaten him on occasion as only a Freshman in HS. With the two brothers the older had a coach at a shop league that moved out of state last month. He shot at the Lancaster Classic and and he scored a 294! The younger brother I thought the bow was too long at first and was ready to make an adjustment to the DL but once I got his alignment right the DL was correct. He made huge improvements from the beginning of the class to the end.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 12:50:38 AM »
Ok so what is your protocol when kids show up like most may with incorrect bow size? That was a large and important part of question. If it’s a case by case basis some surely won’t be able to be adjusted properly. Than what is my question?
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 07:06:57 AM »
Ok so what is your protocol when kids show up like most may with incorrect bow size? That was a large and important part of question. If it’s a case by case basis some surely won’t be able to be adjusted properly. Than what is my question?

As I stated we won't allow a kid to shoot an unsafe bow. Second yes it is a case by case situation.

I would adjust the bow to fit whether that is telling the parent they need different modules or I would even in the case of a too big bow make a short string to fit. If those things don't work I would tell the parent the kid needs a different bow. I also donated my sons Diamond Edge incase there is a family that doesn't have the means to get a kid a properly fitting bow. I make my own strings, have a press, arrow cut off saw and draw board. I have made a couple franken bows and been doing all my own and many others work for over 25 years. This part is no different than a kid shooting at any tournament in the country. I don't make the rules I am following them. The UBNJ offers mentoring programs and we give the kids that don't have bows our Genesis bows but the S3DA specifically says that the child has to use their own equipment just like the IBO and ASA.

For the older HS age kids there are scholarships offered for winning and placing in the national championships totaling in the many thousands of dollars.

I am curious why you seem to be criticizing a program to get kids more involved in this great sport?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 07:21:57 AM by Farmingdales Finest »

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 07:12:54 AM »
I'm a level 2 archery instructor and have taught archery classes for my club for many years.  We offer participants the option of using our equipment, which consists of recurves similar to the now discontinued Samick Sage and Genesis compound bows, or using their own equipment.  We inspect all bows brought by participants, and so far there have been no safety issues.

There have, however, been quality issues.  A boy about 12 years old showed up for his first class with me recently with a new dual shelf bow that I knew from the moment I saw it was junk.  I brought out a club recurve, and let him shoot both.  I think the boy could tell that the club bow shot a lot better than his bow, but since his parents had just bought him the bow and paid for 4 lessons, he evidently didn't want to hurt their feelings, so chose to shoot his own bow for most of the first 2 lessons.  At the beginning of the third lesson, we were shooting at 20 yards and most of his arrows were going into the dirt.  I knew he was capable of better than that, so I brought out a club recurve, and the first 6 arrows he shot from it all went into the target.

This was a pretty convincing display for his parents, and they agreed to buy him another bow like our club bows.  We'll have his 4th lesson this Saturday, and hopefully he'll show up with his new bow and appropriate arrows.  The first 2 lessons weren't a complete waste, as I was able to teach him correct form at a close distance with his junk bow, which was why he was able to put 6 arrows into the target at 20 yards with a bow he had never shot before.

There is no reason anyone should be shooting a junk bow, when perfectly adequate recurves can be purchased for less than $150.  The same cannot be said about compounds, which cost more than that for a decent entry level bow, and have to be adjusted to fit the shooter.  Genesis compound bows do not have to be adjusted to fit the shooter, but I would never recommend that anyone purchase a Genesis bow for his personal bow, because too much performance is lost in order to have the one size fits most feature.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 04:05:59 AM »

As I stated we won't allow a kid to shoot an unsafe bow. Second yes it is a case by case situation.

I would adjust the bow to fit whether that is telling the parent they need different modules or I would even in the case of a too big bow make a short string to fit. If those things don't work I would tell the parent the kid needs a different bow. I also donated my sons Diamond Edge incase there is a family that doesn't have the means to get a kid a properly fitting bow. I make my own strings, have a press, arrow cut off saw and draw board. I have made a couple franken bows and been doing all my own and many others work for over 25 years. This part is no different than a kid shooting at any tournament in the country. I don't make the rules I am following them. The UBNJ offers mentoring programs and we give the kids that don't have bows our Genesis bows but the S3DA specifically says that the child has to use their own equipment just like the IBO and ASA.

For the older HS age kids there are scholarships offered for winning and placing in the national championships totaling in the many thousands of dollars.

I am curious why you seem to be criticizing a program to get kids more involved in this great sport?

Perfect. Not criticizing. I’ve taught lots of youth many years. It’s very near and dear to my heart. I believe it’s a great thing but don’t believe they should be taught incorrectly. They won’t stay with it if inconsistent.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 04:09:05 AM »
I'm a level 2 archery instructor and have taught archery classes for my club for many years.  We offer participants the option of using our equipment, which consists of recurves similar to the now discontinued Samick Sage and Genesis compound bows, or using their own equipment.  We inspect all bows brought by participants, and so far there have been no safety issues.

There have, however, been quality issues.  A boy about 12 years old showed up for his first class with me recently with a new dual shelf bow that I knew from the moment I saw it was junk.  I brought out a club recurve, and let him shoot both.  I think the boy could tell that the club bow shot a lot better than his bow, but since his parents had just bought him the bow and paid for 4 lessons, he evidently didn't want to hurt their feelings, so chose to shoot his own bow for most of the first 2 lessons.  At the beginning of the third lesson, we were shooting at 20 yards and most of his arrows were going into the dirt.  I knew he was capable of better than that, so I brought out a club recurve, and the first 6 arrows he shot from it all went into the target.

This was a pretty convincing display for his parents, and they agreed to buy him another bow like our club bows.  We'll have his 4th lesson this Saturday, and hopefully he'll show up with his new bow and appropriate arrows.  The first 2 lessons weren't a complete waste, as I was able to teach him correct form at a close distance with his junk bow, which was why he was able to put 6 arrows into the target at 20 yards with a bow he had never shot before.

There is no reason anyone should be shooting a junk bow, when perfectly adequate recurves can be purchased for less than $150.  The same cannot be said about compounds, which cost more than that for a decent entry level bow, and have to be adjusted to fit the shooter.  Genesis compound bows do not have to be adjusted to fit the shooter, but I would never recommend that anyone purchase a Genesis bow for his personal bow, because too much performance is lost in order to have the one size fits most feature.

Excellent. This is exactly what I’m getting at.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©