3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help pick my arrow shafts????  (Read 149 times)

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
Help pick my arrow shafts????
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Well guys, I hate to ask for help, but this kind of stuff can be solved by past experience quicker than my stubborn DIY method, likely cheaper as well.

I got my Boo backed Osage here(50lb @ 28"),Bulbous riser..and just now I've found time to start really looking for a good shaft to tune.
I just came in from trying a BEman 500 with 225 gr up front and 4.5" feather fletched. They fly OK at 31" length, but I hear quite a whack as they leave the rest. I'm thinking I'm still too stiff. I got a full doz. of these so can't try longer carbons.
I've tried 2016 Legacy at 31" with 125 gr and standard inserts. I guess they weight about 30 gr. right? Fletched with 5" feather. These fly better but still abit fish-tailed until I tried them with cock feather turned in. Flew better, but still not quite right. They all seem to impact the target fairly straight on and I can group them all 6" at 15 yds. I think I'm whackin' the riser going by.
Heavier point weight on the carbons and on the Legacy's????

I'd appreciate the help to get started right.
Thanks
ARCHER

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help pick my arrow shafts????
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
ttt?
ARCHER

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
what is Your draw...R U right  or left handed?

try different point weights high & low... this will tell you if the arrow is to weak or stiff.. if You where shooting wood I would 45-50 or 50-55 would do you good.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
what is Your draw...R U right  or left handed?

try different point weights high & low... this will tell you if the arrow is to weak or stiff.. if You where shooting wood I would 45-50 or 50-55 would do you good.
RT Handed. need to get different point weights next.
ARCHER

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
What's your draw lenght?  I shoot 51 at 28, but draw 29 and shoot .500 with 200gr upfront.  Your best off bare shafting.  If you don't want to cut feathers off try shooting through paper to see if they're flying straight.  I'd also sprinkle some baby powder on the strike plate to see if the noise your hearing is the arrow hitting the riser too hard.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Ya could shoot the 500s but you will to get up to around 325, use a 100 grain brass insert, 100 grain BH adapter and 125 grain point. The 2016 with 175 may work for ya as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I'm drawing 28" and figure a 29-30" shaft is about right length. So I got .500's with 100gr inserts and 125 gr. points, not including the nock and fletch weight. 30 gr?

I may have time tonorrow evening to bareshaft some before dark. BAby powder is a good idea too!.
We'll see. iI like the flight of the 2016 as well.

Got a friend who has several shaft spines, so maybe I'll pay him a visit and try his bareshafts too.

Thanks
ARCHER

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I shoot a 55# Grizzly that I draw to 29. And I've shot 30in 2016 with 125grn points and they weighed 481. Just to let you know
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©