3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question, leather arrow rest.  (Read 662 times)

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
Question, leather arrow rest.
« on: April 30, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
It is what it is right now. Not many archery stores here to buy new.  Might be difficult to remove also. I just installed a leather arrow rest item 3550 from three rivers.  I cut the little strip to length and stuck that on. Than the leather rest.   Compared to my preinsralled similar rest that came on my Savannah, I’m thinking one strip wasn’t thick enough. Leaving the rest pretty flat.  I’ll use it for now. But do you fellows figure this is sufficient. Or am I going to get arrow kick etc off the rest.

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question, leather arrow rest.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:56:39 AM »
This type of bow is designed to shot of the shelf. I do not think you need any elevation other than leather it's self. How did the bower send it yo you?

If you want some elevation maybe try a  feather rest.

Rich K.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »
Years ago I shot a JD Berry LB with a leather rest and added a hair rest on top of the leather (just the shelf not the site window). It shot great no problems.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 09:59:53 AM »
Looks fine to me.  Looks like you tried to center it on the riser.  Can't see from the photo, but the ideal position would be for the pressure point of the rest to be directly above the deepest part of the grip.  This may or may not be on the center of the riser.  Not a big deal, just something to remember for next time.

If you used the adhesive that came on the rest, it shouldn't be hard to remove when you need to replace it.  Just rip the old one off and clean off any remaining stuff on the riser with Goof Off or the equivalent.  If the adhesive that came on the rest is dried out or doesn't stick very well, you can supplement with Barge, which is also easy enough to clean off later.

You shouldn't need to elevate the rest any more than the strip that came with it.  Some people use a broken off toothpick if nothing comes with the rest.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 10:02:55 AM »
One strip is enough. I however cut mine and mount them as pic below....

I also have put a paper match stem, cut to fit, under the shelf plate and directly over the throat of the grip if the shelf was not radiused from the bowyer.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 11:08:37 AM »
Yes, I remember reading that too about placing the rest over the deepest part of the grip too.  I centered it more or less. It’s not too far from being over the dished part of the center.    Are they hard to remove?  Maybe I’ll get another.   I’ll take a picture of my savannahs.  I’d almost guess they doubled up on the strip when placing it underneath.   Just took two shots before walking the dog, then I have to figure out why my trailer brakes are seized on even though it’s not plugged into the truck and breakaway battery is disconnected.      The bow does seem louder than I remember. This is a b55 string.   I’m not sure the brace height.  What’s the norm for something like this.   It’s a roots 49# recurve, one piece, 62” AMO.

Offline Vroomvroom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Moose outfitter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 11:13:12 AM »
I might look at the felt under the string maybe, two beaver balls. And maybe play with the brace height if I new the window…

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©