3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many here use tree saddles?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many here use tree saddles?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 12:40:36 PM »
I cant wait for the season to start to try mine.   I have been practicing and love it from a convenience, comfort and safety point of view

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2023, 08:37:17 AM »
Since about 1980   much success

Offline BWlongbow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2023, 09:17:45 AM »
Hunted out of a saddle for the first time last year.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »
I'm new to saddle hunting. I'm using the JX3 hybrid saddle. Curious about how shooting out of it will affect my form. need to practice for sure.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2023, 07:27:03 PM »
I have only hunted out of a redneck diy version of a death trap “permanent stand” years ago as a kid. Most miserable afternoon I’ve ever spent. Now, all these years I have missed all the tree climbing, hanging, lounging systems they have. I swear, each one, no matter how the guy on YouTube makes it look “easiest set up ever” is WAY to complicated, no thanks. I will try my darndest to just sit still on the ground.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2023, 06:38:08 AM »
I'm new to saddle hunting. I'm using the JX3 hybrid saddle. Curious about how shooting out of it will affect my form. need to practice for sure.

Not the easiest saddle for trad.  I have one and it's the only style I find unsuitable.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2023, 06:40:05 AM »
I have only hunted out of a redneck diy version of a death trap “permanent stand” years ago as a kid. Most miserable afternoon I’ve ever spent. Now, all these years I have missed all the tree climbing, hanging, lounging systems they have. I swear, each one, no matter how the guy on YouTube makes it look “easiest set up ever” is WAY to complicated, no thanks. I will try my darndest to just sit still on the ground.

Missing alot if opportunity in that case.  I like being well rounded.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JohnnyBa

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2023, 08:02:02 AM »

Missing alot if opportunity in that case.  I like being well rounded.
I like being well rounded in a lot of things, but when it comes to hunting and tree climbing, I just want to stay well GROUNDED. Sometimes it’s harder to be honest with yourself and your capabilities just to stay safe than to add a lot of risks by elevating oneself over our prey. Ropes fail, humans fail, equipment in general gets missed up by the users, I will keep it simple.

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 07:35:34 AM »
I’ve been using a saddle for a few years now. I first saw them used by some compound hunters about 10 years ago. I thought it would be difficult with my longbow and didn’t try it then. I wish I had! I have much better limb clearance and more shot options than my stands. As far as comfort, I can stay in my saddle much longer than any hang on or ladder stand. Add that to the light weight and ease of use and it’s definitely a tool to have in your toolbox.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
I've used many variations from the original TrophyLine to home made setups like a sit-drag.  My current favorite is the Dryad Drey.  Hammock guys will find the concept familiar.  The weight is barely over a pound and I find the back support very comfortable.
The saddle is item #1, but from there where do you put your feet?  Many have switched to small platforms.  I've used one and like them, but for a minimalist setup, I still use a ring of steps or ROS.  I prefer Squirrel steps on an OCB (over center buckle) but there are many other good ones.  I've owned two platforms....a Lone Wolf and a Predator.  The Predator was more packable but LW changed their design and now have what is called the Fix.  I'll have one eventually.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 10:19:02 AM »
Many thanks guys.   :thumbsup:
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Brokearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2023, 03:11:30 AM »
Last season was my first season using one and it was great for me. I was worried with my 62” recurve that I wouldn’t be able to maneuver but once I got it figured out it wasn’t bad at all. Definitely going to be using it again this year.
TallTines 62” 59@29
USMC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2023, 02:25:12 PM »
I've never used a saddle, the only benefit I see is maybe the weight versus strap on tree stand witch some are very light, if you carry sticks to climb the tree for both ways what's your opinion on the benefit with a saddle versus strap on, comfort, or is there a better way to climb with a saddle. What's the preferred way you experienced guys go up the tree with a saddle.

I'm just getting into the saddle hunting concept, but by far the biggest benefit to me is being able to rappel out of the tree instead of having to fumble my way down steps in the dark. It's also much faster if you just need to safely get to the ground in a hurry.

Comfort is too subjective to say one way or the other. Overall, I'd say I'm more comfortable in my saddle than most stands I've used, but you'd have to find the saddle that fits you the best. They are kind of like jeans, some just fit better than others.

I'm still experimenting with the climbing aspect. I'd like to like one-sticking, but I haven't found an aider that like me yet. Currently, I'm packing four Muddy sticks with one step aiders. Lighter than sticks + hang on, but obviously heavier than a single stick and aider. Being old and fat are probably more of a factor than equipment unfortunately.  :banghead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2023, 03:39:36 PM »
Check out JRB climbing method on yout×be.  I used it last few years and beats hauling sticks in that did for years. 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©